haha ohhh so scary

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ya whats scary is how they were stripped int he 1st place lol.

aaaaaaaaaahhhhhhh I got it ! "Hash n Bash Motorsports" (J/K) Well hopefully you can drill straight ! ( otherwords just look for another head unless local machine shop will do a ton of them for special ? Bore line the Cam too ? IDK ? ) Yeah time for another head that is stock/un-modified ( cheaper for you prob ) :mellow: I guess it's how ya learn too ??? IDK ?

If absolutely nothing else, and the head is junk, you can practice porting on this one. Why waste a perfectly good chance to educate yourself? :)

And if you DO end up going with helicoils(salvaging the head), you don't have to line bore/hone the cam towers.. you just have to put the cam in and rotate it while you tighten them down.. Take your time and make sure that the cam spins without resistance the entire time. There's actually a couple places here on the forum where that question is asked.

If absolutely nothing else, and the head is junk, you can practice porting on this one. Why waste a perfectly good chance to educate yourself? :)

And if you DO end up going with helicoils(salvaging the head), you don't have to line bore/hone the cam towers.. you just have to put the cam in and rotate it while you tighten them down.. Take your time and make sure that the cam spins without resistance the entire time. There's actually a couple places here on the forum where that question is asked.

That is a great idea to practice the notching , valve un=shrouding , port/polish if you wish to do so. But 1974datsun if you have a Drill Press or access to one that is the best way to go by far ! ( Yes you can do it by hand drill , Yes I have done it too , but it is very hard to get exact each time ( sometimes even close ! LOL ) Electric Drills Wobble , just remember to use plenty of lubricant , set a limited on the drill bit ( if need be ) again plenty of lubricant , and if nothing else keep all caps exactly in order as they were , where they were , DRILL SLOWLY. I actually prefer the steel inserts to heli-coils ( just my opinion my 2 cents nothing more ) Your going to have to figure out how to level everything out. Waiting for the Razz on the hand drill :lol:

MicroMachinery , Can you clarify this procedure you mentioned above ?

1974datsun,

Get yourself a good haynes manual , and a good 3/8 torque wrench if yours is out of spec ! ( craftsman tools are good enough ) these you will need to get everything back together no matter what you plan to do in the future. ( I actually like the 1/4 torque wrench from Harbor Freight too ! :D )

Get a book on port/polish , I just read one and don't want too anymore on taking risk ! LOL !

Are you talking cam towers? They shouldn't even be removed or they will lose their allingment. Bolts only need 12 ft. lb. torque as it is soft aluminum.

yes i am. they are all stripped out, both sides. i didnt even put force behind them and they stripped WTF!!!