removing front struts on 510

LeX

I thought it was just removing the 3 bolts on the strut tower top, then remove the (17mm)? bolts on each side at the bottom where the strut attaches to the steering knuckle. Then the brake line, and you can pull it out?

It's not coming out haha... Do I just need to be aggressive with it or am i going to have to remove a bunch more bolts?

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

DSCN0873.jpg?t=1263057250

I remove the two 17mm bolts at the bottom first....

And leave the three bolts on top of the strut tower tight.

I believe this is the step you are missing:

DSCN0875.jpg?t=1263056175

DSCN0876.jpg?t=1263056254

DSCN0877.jpg?t=1263056303

If you wedge your pry-bar near the crossmember,,,, and pry downward on the T/C rod..

You need some leverage to lower the control arm enough to get the ball joint nut out of the strut.

Next step:

When the strut is free from the control arm and ball joint...

Use a small floor jack and raise the strut no more than 1/2 an inch:

DSCN0881.jpg?t=1263056661

Now remove the three bolts on top of the strut tower: DO NOT remove the center nut.....it will release all the pressure from the springs...and you will die

DSCN0882.jpg?t=1263056795

Then lower the strut out of the car......be carefull it is about 40 pounds....

It is always a good idea to do things in the RIGHT order:

DSCN0868.jpg?t=1263056917

• Like 2

Haha yeah... thanks man. Just need to pry that ball joint downwards before unbolting it at the top -bonk- !!

I believe this is the step you are missing:

It is always a good idea to do things in the RIGHT order:

Haha , your gonna scare him off!

lol i've done suspensions on my newer nissans and my subarus just never done anything to the dime before. I just didn't think of having to pry it out so i was just sitting there like wtf why doesn't it move haha

lol i've done suspensions on my newer nissans and my subarus just never done anything to the dime before. I just didn't think of having to pry it out so i was just sitting there like wtf why doesn't it move haha

The first one I ever took apart was like that. You really have to pry on those fuckers. I only weigh about 165, so I had to stand on a floor jack handle to get it apart.

If you want, take a brass hammer or soft mallet and whack the bottom where it separates. Makes it a little easier if they're really stuck on there. I find jumping helps to loosen them up. :)