Wrapping your wiring harness.......

SRSANDS

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Heat shrink tubing is cool.

There is also some flexible plastic tubing you can get that is colored. Might match under your hood better than plain jane black heat shrink. Tubing like in the picture below can be purchased at places like Shucks, autozone, maybe napa? I believe the correct term is "Wire Loom" Google that or Colored wire loom

colored_loom.jpg

wouldnt heatshrink mean cutting and splicing connectors ect to get on?? Thought about the but....

Ya on the bigger plugs youd have to cut and spice back together or pull the pins from the plugs.

Not easy but its different and clean.

wouldnt heatshrink mean cutting and splicing connectors ect to get on?? Thought about the but....

Yes it would, but you could always run all your wiring in it before the final hookups & crimping. aren't you installing a vg in there?

If you use the wire looms, they come pre split. Just stuff your wires in and off you go. I would get some zip ties tho the same color and tie it off here and there tho to ensure they stayed in place.

Anyone have any Ideas for something to use instead of... and plastic split wire loom? I hate it! I want it to look better than I can make it with this crap

There is also some flexible plastic tubing you can get that is colored. Might match under your hood better than plain jane black heat shrink. Tubing like in the picture below can be purchased at places like Shucks, autozone, maybe napa? I believe the correct term is "Wire Loom" Google that or Colored wire loom.

If you use the wire looms, they come pre split. Just stuff your wires in and off you go. I would get some zip ties tho the same color and tie it off here and there tho to ensure they stayed in place.

It looks to me like he's trying to AVOID using the split loom..

Hey Shawn,

At the Hardware store or napa there is a product called Rescue tape. For wrapping a harness it looks great and does not fall apart like regular electrical tape. Here is a link to Rescue tape

www.rescuetape.com.

And I agree with Skib, shrink wrap looks and works great. A little more work but, well worth it. Remember you can take plugs ends apart, and sneak wrap around the wires.

Thanks

Bryce

i like split loom because you can add, subtract or find problems without messing up the whole piece of harness. just because you are done doesnt mean that it stays that way. i have seen people just leave the wires uncovered and just neatly tie it up. then use proper loops to hold it where ness. in some electrical applications they actually use string and hand tie everyhting, looks very nice too. heres some of my work just before its finalized. its in a police k9 tahoe unit.

IMG_0126.jpg

you'd have to have it tied and routed neatly prior to doing this and I'll probably get bashed for recommending it ... but... liquid electrical tape?

http://www.acehardwaresuperstore.com/gb-brushon-liquid-electrical-tape-p-75261.html?ref=42

I've used it on my CB550 along side heat shrink tube. Its glossier than the HST, but its better than having OW, BW, GW and WY wires visible on the bike.... you were asking for options. As you can tell from my response I'm a little embarassed by my use of this, BUT, it is an option.

-Steve

expandable sleeving

it expands over large connetors and then pulled neat & tight over the length of the wires.

braided_sleeving.jpg

spiral wrap. great when wires leave the main wrap at different lenghts.

303.jpg

self amlagamating tape. sticks to iteslf, not the wiring = no sticky mess if removed.

epr-self-amalgamating-tape-250x250.jpg

ever tried to neatly remove it?  :angry:

great for small jobs, wouldnt wanna do the entire lenght...

It was a small job. I used HST for the most but mis-cut it so had to use the liquid tape.

Luckily it is still in use so: No, I have not had to remove it yet...

(if that is the lightest bashing I get, then that wasnt so bad)  :P

expandable sleeving

it expands over large connetors and then pulled neat & tight over the length of the wires.

:thumbup:

Thats what I like. It's neat, easy, pretty and even comes in heat resistant options.

I found some non adhesive electrical tape on ebay. It looks just like electrical tape, but isn't sticky. Basically the same stuff that the factory used. Best part is you can wrap it on, and tie it off. If you need to service the harness, untie and unwrap. When you are done, reuse it. Something along these lines: http://www.rickscamaros.com/product.asp?pf_id=RC-508&dept_id=3138 (that link came from a quick google search, it's not where I bought it)

I used cold shrink tape, the same as amalgamating tape. It works great no sticky mess. You can wrap the harness wires with it and just used regular electrical tape on the ends to hold it together. The cold shrink tape takes a while to fuze together but once its fuzed its hard to unwrap you have to cut it. The link below is where I got it.

http://www.wiringproducts.com/contents/en-us/p368.html

Thanks for the info guys! Im gonna check out all those options and see what one I like....I guess I shouldnt be in a hurry to make it look good yet as Im sure there will be more to add to the harness as the build goes on even when its on the road :)

pro harness guys use expanding tube with heat shrink at the ends. clean look and the expanding tube stays put without unraveling. i know my audio guy has it and its what i planned on using.

The heat shrink on the ends is a nice touch, I'm going to use that.

I want to run mil spec cannon connectors as well at some point.

Was bored and found some nice examples.

Mil spec harnesses are so ridiculously good looking.

Mil spec cannon

IMG_00501.JPG

turp_0811_09_z+data_acquisition_efi_technology_logger+data_system_harness.jpg

DSCN4363.jpg

Mil spec harness

12-12-2008108m.jpg

DSC_0052.JPG

DSC01301.jpg

Expandable weave capped with shrink wrap

12-14-2008076.jpg

12-14-2008078.jpg