79 620 intermittent wipers

Nas

I read somewhere that 79 620's had intermittent wipers.

What makes them so?

The motor?

If I take the wiper motor from a 79, and install it on my 74, will I then have intermittents?

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As Fastdadd said, the motors are the same. The switch is different and is then has a sub-harness of wiring to a wiper delay control box that mounts on the right kick panel. The chassis harness is also different, I.E. Only 79 king cabs got the correct wiring harness to pwer the delay function. However it is super easy to add the correct wire to the harness to make the delay work.

Good luck find the delay switch and the wiring. It was only an option in 79, king cabs only, and not all of them got it.

As Fastdadd said, the motors are the same. The switch is different and is then has a sub-harness of wiring to a wiper delay control box that mounts on the right kick panel. The chassis harness is also different, I.E. Only 79 king cabs got the correct wiring harness to pwer the delay function. However it is super easy to add the correct wire to the harness to make the delay work.

Good luck find the delay switch and the wiring. It was only an option in 79, king cabs only, and not all of them got it.

720 had it also and there was also a variable delay one but you would need the variable switch to make it work then find a way to graft it onto the 620 harness. Normally it's a stalk on the right side of the steering column like a turn signal.

Yea, good luck finding a switch, some dillweed cut the fiber optic on mine, and I have had no luck finding a replacement. At least the wipers work, just don't have the light like my light switch. :crying:

• 2 weeks later...

No, From all my research i ran across several Datsun sites that members had used this switch on their Datsuns. So I will be ordering one when I get to that point in my build. I am hoping it will fit the stock hole in my 520 dash and I can mod it to take the original wiper switch knob.

• 3 weeks later...

I had an old delay conversion that was made to mount under the dash from J C Whitney that I put in my 76. I put it where the dash light dimmer was since I couldn't use it any more with my LEDs. It works great and looks factory. I don't think anyone is selling them anymore though, but it might be worth a search?:rolleyes: