'71 521 build, slow progress :P

shane_lxi

Outside is prolly going to be semi-gloss black :D. Interior and engine bay gloss. I cant fuckin wait :D. I want to drive it sooo bad. After engine goes in, all i need is a windshield seal so I can install my $65 jy windshield, and I'm all set.

I'll hopefully have it ready for the northwestnissans 'golden garden's' meet. Anyone else going?!

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not a huge update. The weather was still pretty cold today, but I went out and tested out my color. It's a little brighter, and a bit more blue than the factory green/teal, but I love it. It's a rust-oleum paint, and actually went on pretty good despite the cold. I've been debating whether I should buy a new oem emblem, or run with the one I have (it's kinda screwed up, a little "melty"). Then I went a different route. I bought this 'rising sun' belt buckle at zumies a while ago. I decided to grind all the buckle shit off, and use it as the hood emblem, lol. It's similar in size, and it fits pretty nice is the body line. Anyway, here it is :D.

newemblem2.jpg

newemblem.jpg

Picked up my bench seat and windshield today. I bought the windshield a few weeks ago, but the guys at the jy just got around to pullin the thing :P. Anyway, $65 for the windshield, and a hella raggedy bench seat for $10. I will hopefully get the cash to reupholster it before golden gardens (march 30th). Otherwise I'll just drive up with the raggedy ripped up seat. I am thinking about ordering rallies with moon's and selling my cadi's. They were kind of an impulse buy I couldn't refuse for the price, but not really the direction I want to go with the truck. I might keep them for when I bag it, but with a static drop, I might just run 14" or 15" rallies with whitewalls for now :D. For a clean look.

Anyway, more pics when I finish sanding all the blemishes and reprimering/hopefully finishing the engine bay paint.

otay. The weather wasnt terrible today (but not great) so I went out and shot the first 2 coats of the final color on. Turned out good, even though I have to admit I got a bit hasty, so there's a few runs around the core support area. Going to let it treat overnight since it's kind of cold at the moment, and sand some of the minor runs out tomorrow. The color isnt as bright or as blue as the pics suggest. My gf just got a new flash attachment for here camera, and I was messing around with the settings, so it turned out making the paint look super bright!! But yeah, here you go, let me know what you think. I know it's not the same color as the rest of the truck, but the inside of the cab is getting the same paint, and the outside is going to be something differebt, I just haven't decided yet. (semi gloss blue?)

PS: Dont mind the overspray on the frame and components, undercoating after the rest of the engine bay is done. I dont mind undercoating this frame because I'm not hacking this one. The other one is getting the bags :D.

enginebaypaintedfront.jpg

enginebaypaintedside.jpg

WOOHOO! $65 dollar windshield! (wow, way to spell morons...)

garageengineandwindshield.jpg

I also organized my random engine assortment :D (1 L16, 2 L20'S, 1 D15, 1 KA24E, 1 KA24DE, atleast that covers the ones in this bay :P)

garageengineassortment.jpg

Thanks, I try, lol. They just get to piling up over the years. I cant even remember how I ended up with half of them (cant remember where the ka's came from, lol). I've had like 11 240sx's, so prolly came out some of them, lol :P.

Anywha, the paint is a rustoleum rattle can, I am actually pretty impressed with how well it turned out with how cold it is right now. Looks pretty good, didnt loose any gloss after it dried either. I dont think I am going to clear coat in the engine bay, so I was glad it turned out nice :D.

it's rustoleum "painter's touch", and the color is jade, found it at home depot, lol. It was almost the exact color I was looking for. I thought I was going to have to go get some mixed at a paint shop, then I found this when looking for pipe insulation, Bought a couple cans and it was almost perfect for what I wanted!

I checked on it this morning, turned out pretty nice!! Cant wait to drop in the L20 :D.

badass, lol. I am going to use clear coat inside the cab for sure, but I didnt really want to in the engine bay, it'll be easier for me to manage without clear I think. I really liked the color, and was surprised how nice it went on for home depot paint :D

Hey, thanks for the compliment, lol. Your project is kicking my projects ass though :(. I bought it from datsunrestore.com, I think they still have one left, they have a rear window seal too. A little more expensive then the ones on ebay, but they're oem too, so worth the extra I think.

so I went and bought my headset and lowering blocks today. Got 3" blocks and a the parts store just so happened to have my headset in stock :D. So next pics will hopefully be with my truck lowered with a nice clean L20 sitting in it with the escalades and a windshield, lol. And peep mirrors...

Well, went to bolt my new driver's side fender on today, and the body part by the signal on the outside of the core support section is pushed in about 3 inches too far to line up :P. Luckily, I have a good core support on my parts car.

I was looking at it, and it looks like removal is insanely easy. Core suport transplant on my 240 was a huge pain in the ass, so am I really looking at this right?! It looks like just a few spot welds on the inside of the engine bay are holding this thing on. Let me know if you know anything.

Bought a little Lincoln mig today. I have never welded before today, so I am just now learning. Try not to laugh too hard when I start posting up pics of stuff I've welded on the truck, lol.

Got my spacers also, so the escalades are on the truck. Patrick (acesn8s) traded me his stock 14" 521 wheels and caps for the 15" wheels on the parts truck, so I might just rock those for a while and save the escalades for when I bag this thing in the distant future, lol. I love hoarding parts :D.

Anyway, updated pics soon since I am going to need to get this running in a hurry. My 240sx is out of commission, so I am going to start finishing up my ka24de-t to put in there instead of putting more money into the ka24e that's in there. In other words, I am going to need another daily driver in a hurry!!

Way ahead of you. My first weld burnt a little bit of a hole in the old crunched up 521 fender, lol. They gradually got straighter and more uniform though. Damn I wish I had taken metal shop in high school, lol.

Anyway, I'll be trying to blitz this thing together, maybe it'll be running by this weekend if I get my ass in gear. Then just put the windshield in and I can drive it.

• 2 weeks later...

well, painting the engine tomorrow. Pulled the older manifolds off the l16 to use with the l20 since they dont have all that emissions shit all over them. That'll hopefully be going in this weekend, I need to get this thing roadworthy before golden gardens on the 30th!!

Anyway, here's a pic of how it sits now :D. If you want to know why I haven't been working on this, check out my 240sx project thread :D.

521withsclades.jpg