'71 521 build, slow progress :P

shane_lxi

Well, I bought the blue 521 a few weeks ago, and wanted to get it running and looking decent. Unfortunately, it was waaay to rusted out, so I decided to buy the green one a week later from Ted (thanks btw). I only paid $200 for each, so I am just kind of having fun with the project, I couldnt pass up the price for either :D.

The first one I bought was all rusted out in the cab (see my intro thread in the trucks section). The L20 that was in it ran awesome, and I later found out it had a peanut style head, so that's a plus as well. It also had a newer weber on it. The only problem is that the tranny was seized. The new one didnt run at all, and when I pulled it apart, I found out a big reason why, lol, the crank was busted. No biggie though, I didnt buy it for the engine. I pulled the engines out of both trucks the following week, and I am doing a headgasket and cleaning the L20 up while it is out, as well as painting the engine bay in the green truck. Just going to do as big of a static drop as I can stand for now, and I am going to attempt to bag the extra frame. I might end up bagging a 620 frame though and trying to retro my 521 body onto it, we'll see. That's alot further down the road, I need to atleast finish my 240sx before I worry about that. Any way, here's some pics, I'll update next time we get a nice enough day in Washington to paint the engine bay :(.

here's the trucks (the green one is the best one, the blue one is just a parts donor)

both521.jpg

It has a tarp for now, I cant afford a windshield yet :(

drivewayclutter.jpg

Brace yourself, some of you guys are going to cringe, but please take into concideration that 3 different people are working on 4 different engines in here right now, lol. Here's the garage...

garagepic.jpg

engineclutter.jpg

My L20, the one with the red block is my brother's for his 510 wagon

l20block.jpg

I am going to be making a ghetto adapter plate for this wheel here pretty soon. I had one just like it in my last 240sx, and loved it, so I couldnt pass this one up when my friend was going to throw it away, lol. Just needs some lacker mang!!

nardi.jpg

And the shitty 240 seats I have had in my garage or a few years, lol. They'll do for now, unless someone has a bench seat they'll sell me that is :D.

seats.jpg

Anyway, that's it for now. I'll update later on :D.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick teaser. We had these at work for a very long time. They were going to throw them out, so I bought them for the price of scrap :D. No curbs or nothing, a little spotting that I am going to try to get off of them, but it is so minoe that even if I cant get it off, I dont really care much :D. Anyway, here they are.

escaladewheels.jpg

Bought some tires today. I'm going to need some spacers for the little bit of clearance I need over the hub "fins". I dont have the cash at the moment to get them machined out :(. But anyway, here you go...

Oh, I also cleaned my garage, or should I say... my brother cleaned it out so that he could actually move around and work on his wagon :P, lol.

wheelswithtires.jpg

wheelsandwagon.jpg

garagecleaner.jpg

The weather is just too cold right now. I am just going to clean and spray a few patches where there is rust, and the l20 in until spring. Then I'll do a little engine bay resto job at that time. It's just too cold for me to do a proper job right now :(. So next pics will be with the engine going into a banana spotted engine bay, and hopefully lowered a few inches with the gm's on it.

• 1 month later...

Well, the weather was decent today so I went out and started work on the engine bay. Got it prepped, and primed, now I just need to pick out a color for the engine bay. Got farther then I thought I was going to get before I started seeing my breath and called it a night. Oh yeah, also cleaned the rest of the garage, lol. Next step is organizing my tools, lol. I'm such a lazy ass...

cleangarage.jpg

preppedandprimedcloseup.jpg

preppedandprimed.jpg

lol. Just looking for a close-enough matching rattle can to the stock greenish turquoise color. Inside the cab and the engine bay will be green, and the exterior most likely semi gloss black for a while. Atleast until I get the body work done (so it will be black for a long time in other words)