ca18det vs sr20 pro's and cons !!!!!!!!!!!

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

SR20det

CA18det

*Pros

*Pros

Newer

lighter

Looks sexy

smaller

Lots of torque

smaller transmission=less cutting

Lots of after market parts

No need to flip center link (i think)

More of them swapped into dimes

GT28 turbo+extras= fun

Bolt in kits and wiring diagrams availible

sounds cool at 8k rpm

*Cons

*Cons

Heavy

OLD

need to flip center link or use Rack/Pinion

Hard to rebuild

FRONT SUMP

Kinda rare in the states

Big ass transmission=more cutting

less parts availible

Nothing unique about a SR510

They were unique in the 90's

I've heard of twisted bodies because of too much torque

FRONT SUMP

Expensive

Expensive

The motor might have been drifted and tortured

The motor might have been drifted and tortured

Edited by INDY510
fj20!!!! lol :D. Or if the gods like you fj24

x2

Iv been thinking about buying a Ca18det for my 610 as after christmas i will have the money buuuuut iv been offer'd a low mile fj20 turbo for 1500 so im going for it.

Give me a old school Fj anyday.:drool:

My next datsun will be Sr20det as there is so much aftermarket stuff going cheap these days.

theres way more aftermarket support for the sr's thats for sure, however i havent heard anything about people snapping bolts because of aluminum blocks? also if you get an engine from a jdm import company you dont really have to worry as much about the engine bein drifted an such, one company i will say to stay away from is that tigerjapanese place.. have heard alot of bad stuff about them..

i dont know much about the ca but bang for buck the sr FTW also i would think it would take alot of power to twist your 510 but if you were going for high hp im sure you would take the nessecery precautions for that..

go sr mikey you will love it..

theres way more aftermarket support for the sr's thats for sure, however i havent heard anything about people snapping bolts because of aluminum blocks? also if you get an engine from a jdm import company you dont really have to worry as much about the engine bein drifted an such, one company i will say to stay away from is that tigerjapanese place.. have heard alot of bad stuff about them..

i dont know much about the ca but bang for buck the sr FTW also i would think it would take alot of power to twist your 510 but if you were going for high hp im sure you would take the nessecery precautions for that..

go sr mikey you will love it..

if you want all out power and intend to enjoy it at the drags or track, then by all means go sr. the sr definately enjoys more

aftermarket support too an extent. aside from a stroker kit ( which are rare for the ca), what other parts can't you get for the ca that you can get for the sr? bigger turbos? cams? forged pistons? custom ported heads? what? all these parts are availabe for the ca, granted

they are a little more pricey for the ca.

dont believe the myth that parts are difficult to find the ca. you can get almost any part from kragens or oriely auto parts. you just

got to know how to order it. most of us just order parts for an 88 nissan pulsar se.

i personally have a cadet in my b210. i chose it for price, uniqueness, weight, and rev-ability, and i just plain wanted to stand out in

a sea of sr510's.

one more thing, if i had some major bucks, i would have totally go for a turbochared fj20.

Not to get off subject but if you aren't worried about keeping the car all Nissan you might look at other engines..

I compared everything from rotary power to the JDM engines for my roadster and I'm going with a Mazda BP from the miata just due to the size of the engine, availability locally of parts, aftermarket and the power isn't too bad when comparing to the SR20DE or the CA18

but on subject I'd go with the SR20 just for the fact there is a bigger aftermarket parts selection

SR vs KA vs CA. They all use the SAME TRANSMISSION with different bell housings. There's no real cutting involved to fit the transmission other than opening/widening the shifter hole location, which would be the exact same story with any of the three motors.

SR:

Internally balanced

Cheap aftermarket support

Tried and true

Bolt in kits

A bit more expensive

Responds well to mods

Fairly reliable as a stock motor

More knowledge on them, meaning any problems you have you can diagnose online

if we were in aussie land i think the ca would be more realisitc.. i know people say parts arent hard to find but eh, idk.. over all the sr is newer an so far with nissan newer seems to be better.. there are some cases where thats not true though.. the starion setup would be pretty cool tho

I don't know what all the fuss is about parts for the 18de(t)

There are quite a few interchanges that work in this engine.

The crank wasn't an issue with mine, but I did have a little trouble

with pistons. I ended up waiting for a set of .10 over forged pistons from

my local shop. If you can read Japanese, there are a ton of parts over

on the yahoo.jp auction site for these little things.

:)

But the Sr20's seem to be the popular swap around here. IDK, use what you can get I guess.

I do know the CA will fit better in my 411.

-ymmv

the whole point of this thread is the prequel to a swap. i cant decide what i want to do next sr, ka, ca, g54b 2.6-t this is part of my research!

I had this same predicament a while back.. only it was between KA and SR. After a lot of research and endless hours of forum readings, I decided to go w/ a KA-T. It's been a slow, steady accumulation of parts, mostly because I'm taking my time and looking for good deals on used parts. I've learned that I don't really need to, but I'm putting forged internals into the KA, just for my own peace of mind(there are alot of people running 300-400hp Turboed KAs on stock internals).

With the KA, I have an endless sea of parts availability here in the states, as the KA was sold readily here. The SR is all the rage, so people are droppin' their KAs like hotcakes. I picked up mine w/ trans, mostly complete, for $200. Forged internals will cost probably around $600 more, and then rebuild kit and machine work will probably be another $200. All in all, it will be less expensive than the SR, I'll have done all my own work and research, and it will be my own. The KA offers low end over top, and I prefer the low end torque to high revs, and the list of reasons I've chosen this route could go on and on.

I'm glad to be doing it this way. I can build my engine ready for boost, and drive it N/A until I have exactly the turbo setup I want chosen. At that point, it's all just bolt-on and tuning(Turbo, lines, injectors, ECU swap, Intercooler+piping..). Engine stays put. Could probably all be done in an afternoon, truth be told. This allows me to go at my own pace, and figure out and research EXACTLY what I want.. it's not like a bolt-on kit. There is that avenue, but if I can get it exactly how I want, that's even more unique than putting in a CA or FJ or whatever. It requires my own brain, time, effort, and preferences. By the time I get it done, it will be precisely what I want, and it will truly be my own..

I had this same predicament a while back.. only it was between KA and SR. After a lot of research and endless hours of forum readings, I decided to go w/ a KA-T. It's been a slow, steady accumulation of parts, mostly because I'm taking my time and looking for good deals on used parts. I've learned that I don't really need to, but I'm putting forged internals into the KA, just for my own peace of mind(there are alot of people running 300-400hp Turboed KAs on stock internals).

With the KA, I have an endless sea of parts availability here in the states, as the KA was sold readily here. The SR is all the rage, so people are droppin' their KAs like hotcakes. I picked up mine w/ trans, mostly complete, for $200. Forged internals will cost probably around $600 more, and then rebuild kit and machine work will probably be another $200. All in all, it will be less expensive than the SR, I'll have done all my own work and research, and it will be my own. The KA offers low end over top, and I prefer the low end torque to high revs, and the list of reasons I've chosen this route could go on and on.

I'm glad to be doing it this way. I can build my engine ready for boost, and drive it N/A until I have exactly the turbo setup I want chosen. At that point, it's all just bolt-on and tuning(Turbo, lines, injectors, ECU swap, Intercooler+piping..). Engine stays put. Could probably all be done in an afternoon, truth be told. This allows me to go at my own pace, and figure out and research EXACTLY what I want.. it's not like a bolt-on kit. There is that avenue, but if I can get it exactly how I want, that's even more unique than putting in a CA or FJ or whatever. It requires my own brain, time, effort, and preferences. By the time I get it done, it will be precisely what I want, and it will truly be my own..

+1

Why do so many people think the SR Is so much better? I mean The KA is plenty cheap in the states, the head might not flow as much but it's pretty damn close (I've never put each of them side to side as an aside to that comment) and you may say the KA wont be able to rev with it's big ass 96mm stroke, but then again, how long can you wind out the SR with a forked rocker setup? Meh. Who knows. I've always wanted to see a Cosworth motor in a dime, wheter it be the 190 Mercedes motor or the YB, so I'm pretty crazy.