ca18det vs sr20 pro's and cons !!!!!!!!!!!

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Lynch, why do you keep posting all these gay comments? We are talking about 2 turbo engines. No one cares about your na gayness Inow understand what everyone has been saying about there is no good threads on here. Retards start posting pointless bullshit that has nothing to do with the threads. Since when did he say he wanted anything to do with a ka?

You know my opinion mikey, ca over sr. Belt driven is nice. I still say just go with the g54b to begin with since any way you look at it you need to change the rearend. Should probably look into seeing if those cv you want will work with a r200

Edited by City Hunter

ca18det, is basicaly a 4-cyl ,rb20 and i have seen them put down 500whp+ reliably with cams, disco potato turbo, z31 maf, and a tune..... plus the quality they were built with.... sr from what i hear took over when nissan was hurting for cash and they needed to cheapen the cost of the engine....... just rumor but i heard it from a few nissan enthusists.... and as some have said... you can use 90% of the usdm engine form the pulsar, like ignitor if your moterset doesnt have one..and some sr20 parts fit too..... i used to have a weblink with all cross reference parts......http://www.club-s12.org/forums/lofiversion/index.php/t10117.html ah, there it is just my two sense since the OP asked for opinions..... i was going to go CA ( $800 from friend ) until i found a 240sx ( entire running car ) for $250.....

I am just wondering how many miles can be expected for these little 4 bangers,being as they get the piss reved out of them. My v-6 puts out less thazn 200hp but it will still be in the car for years to come.

200k give or take, depending on treatment..

Lynch, why do you keep posting all these gay comments? We are talking about 2 turbo engines. No one cares about your na gayness Inow understand what everyone has been saying about there is no good threads on here. Retards start posting pointless bullshit that has nothing to do with the threads. Since when did he say he wanted anything to do with a ka?

You know my opinion mikey, ca over sr. Belt driven is nice. I still say just go with the g54b to begin with since any way you look at it you need to change the rearend. Should probably look into seeing if those cv you want will work with a r200

Shawn, my na whoops down on alot of turbo shit, obviously you have no clue about the sr20ve.. the sr pwns the ca any day, why do you think people in japan, europe and austrailia have been swapping in sr's for years... Also im not the one who brought up the KA.. me an you have both worked on a ka together, an from what i remember neither of us are fond of em..

and ya i agree the g54b would go nicely in a 510! plus it would be unique.. or pretty close to it since i've never seen one like that before..

... Inow understand what everyone has been saying about there is no good threads on here. Retards start posting pointless bullshit that has nothing to do with the threads. Since when did he say he wanted anything to do with a ka?...

In response to this^^^

I'm quoting THIS(From the creator of the thread, who was requesting the debate)

the whole point of this thread is the prequel to a swap. i cant decide what i want to do next sr, ka, ca, g54b 2.6-t this is part of my research!

It's on page one. Try paying attention and reading the entire thread before you start shitting on it.

I too have been debating this same thing in my mind. right now i have a Ka-E in my datsun. plus i have a blown Ka-E in my garage. so its between KaE-T, CA18DET, or SR20DET (from a S15)

It seems like everything i come up with has good points and bad points.... but what ive come to is that its all based on what you wanna do... not what everyone thinks or expects you to do.

so my list that i have came up with and like i said some of it is opinion based and not necessarily justifiable.

Ka-E:

i have 2 of them.... no need to buy another motor.

the bottom line cost would be the cheapest but probably the hardest to get around 350-400whp (my goal)

i HATE working on timing chains!!!! let me say it again.... I HATE WORKING ON TIMING CHAINS!!!

if i kept it i wouldnt have to do any wiring work. which isnt a big deal but nice.

im not a fan of distributors. dont hate them just not a fan.

i honestly like the look of the motor in my car. and with a turbo i think it would look BA!

SR20DET:

I HATE WORKING ON TIMING CHAINS!!!

again... distributors....

the overall bottom line cost would be the most

this would be the easiest to reach my power goals

i would need to do wiring and all that fun stuff.

its heavier than the CA and im all about power to weight.

the aftermarket is amazing for this motor

its common and proven.

quality parts arent cheap.

And probably what im going to do... CA18DET:

its not as common as a SR or KA-T dime... more common these days but not compared to the other 2

i love the rev-ability, absolutely love it!!

would probably need to fab up parts instead of sourcing out parts. i.e. manifolds and such.

would probably be inbetween the ka-t and SR cost wise and ease of my power goals.

TIMING BELT!!!!

oh and i prefer its spark system vs. the distributors.

ive been a DSM guy for years and just got into the datsun world a year ago. so thats where my dislike for timing chains and distributors came from. like i said personal preference and really not a justifiable reason. i mean i would much rather have something that im comfortable with than something i hate to work on.

So in the long run i think ive decided on the CA despite everyone and their brothers telling me that its a old option-less motor and id be nuts not to go SR.... I DONT CARE...... its my car and ill do what i want with it ;)