l20b w/ l28 flat tops and a87 peanut head

lynchfourtwenty

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

with -2.95 deck, you have no squish (or pinch as Datzenmike says) Would it not be a better idea to deck the block, to get the squish back around .040" - rather than skim the head. Skimming the head will raise compression - and with no squish, you may have knocking...

with -2.95 deck, you have no squish (or pinch as Datzenmike says) Would it not be a better idea to deck the block, to get the squish back around .040" - rather than skim the head. Skimming the head will raise compression - and with no squish, you may have knocking...

you dont want to make the deck on a l20b any weaker then they are all ready

l20,s tend to crack as it is .

Decking will also raise the compression. Any space above the piston at top dead center, this would include negative deck height and crushed gasket thickness, is considered part of the combustion chamber.

Just for the heck of it, and if it is or was possible to mill 2mm off the deck to decrease the deck height to 0.040" or roughly 1mm the combustion chamber would loose 11.32cc of space the resultant compression would go up to 10.28

ya i was thinkin of prolly doin the arp's while i was at it..

heres my thing, i dont wanna go to use the truck, or be using it, an all the sudden it shits out on me.. thats why i wanna rebuild the motor, an shit while im rebuilding it.. i might as well upgrade it a little while im at it eh? if all else fails im sure someone would buy it from me.. or trade me lol.. not to mention there are other people doing it.. an running pump gas.. im getting a wide band for my car, i can get a bung welded in my trucks header so i could swap the wideband on whenever i needed.. if i gotta retune it every few months so be it.. but its not like i drive it much anyway.. but when i do drive it, i like to have fun, thats why i drink dos equis

Edited by lynchfourtwenty

i think a more realistic rebuild would be,

l28 dished pistons

l20b block bored to 86mm

l20b rods/crank

peanut head intake ports ported to 1.375 and maybe some l28 valves installed, an new guides ect. maybe a future cam..

what you guys think? from what i can gather it would have near a 9.0 to 9.1 comp ratio.. an if the head needs shaved a bit, maybe a tad more... which is less then 10.8 with flat tops lol

Edited by lynchfourtwenty
ya i was thinkin of prolly doin the arp's while i was at it..

heres my thing, i dont wanna go to use the truck, or be using it, an all the sudden it shits out on me.. thats why i wanna rebuild the motor, an shit while im rebuilding it.. i might as well upgrade it a little while im at it eh? if all else fails im sure someone would buy it from me.. or trade me lol.. not to mention there are other people doing it.. an running pump gas.. im getting a wide band for my car, i can get a bung welded in my trucks header so i could swap the wideband on whenever i needed.. if i gotta retune it every few months so be it.. but its not like i drive it much anyway.. but when i do drive it, i like to have fun, thats why i drink dos equis

l28 dished pistons

l20b block bored to 86mm

l20b rods/crank

peanut head intake ports ported to 1.375 and maybe some l28 valves installed, an new guides ect. maybe a future cam..

what you guys think? from what i can gather it would have near a 9.0 to 9.1 comp ratio.. an if the head needs shaved a bit, maybe a tad more... which is less then 10.8 with flat tops lol

l18 pistons in your l20. you would be surprised how much power you will gain back just from a rebuild. and with some flow tricks with head and you will have fun!

why bother with all this just put a ka in. it is almost bolt in on a truck

l28 dished pistons

l20b block bored to 86mm

l20b rods/crank

I get 9.041