HELP with my datsun

esparza 62

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Due to being handicapped or for family use an automatic is invaluable.

Some modifications will be needed. A Nissan 3N71B is what I would look for. They were used from April '71 on in all models. (the 510 and early 620 used a short 26" one, the rest were 31.5" long.

automatic is invaluable?

too many a Jeep Cherokee is also or (notvaluable)

But has 4 doors,power steering and 4x4 and a real heater. also comes in Auto and tons of parts. Cheap!!!!!!

Tana wanted to do this also.Convert a manual to a Auto. She gave up on that idea soon enough. Nobody was going to help her and findin a auto that really works is also another hard part. routing hyd lines and the shift down circut. I say forget it.

Sounds like these guys are afraid of automatics. I am putting one like Datzenmike recommended in my 1966 520 with an L20B. My automatic trans guy said as long as they are serviced regularly (filter and fluid change) they are pretty much bullet proof.

Granted it is hard to find a good one but to have mine rebuilt was only $400 with a new torque converter. running the trans cooler lines is easy. The kick down is 2 wires, 1 switch, and 1 relay. It is not rocket science.:lol:

It is getting harder to find a good auto and if you do find one get all the harware with it, flex plate, spacers, bolts, plate that goes between engine & trans, and shifter.

I bought 2 motors and autotrans incase I needed parts.

It is all in what you are willing to do.

A good condition 35 year old 620 with auto will be more reliable than a 25 year old Cherokee.

True!!!!!! But 94 and up Cherokee are pretty nice at a good price.

I just hate to see another project not get completed. due mostly to time, age of the person meaning I hate hitting the ground nowat 43, and cost to get a 521 to be a auto and it not being worth more to resale it.

Also face the fact Datsuns were chaeap cars that cheap people bought back in the day. Serviceing to a young datsun owner is not high on the list. Otherwise Jeff would not be finding datsuns under a tree for cheao and get them running in a day or a week.

How ever if you have lots of friends and motivated this will be no ploplem for you to do.

also might need to mod the X memeber or bolt up that part to goes to the X member.

buy the green 521!!!!!!!! then your done with not even gething your hands dirty

I have an unconventional idea. How about a hand-lever clutch from a motorcycle? You could get one of the hydraulic assist ones and rig that to the dash or something and then just delete the clutch pedal. Or you could skinny up the pedals and make it easier to hit all three with the good knee.

Just a thought. I detest automatics, but they do have their function when you have a bum leg or knee as the case may be.

Tana has the same proplem bad knee.

wanted a auto.

later sold the truck as her help DISSAPEARED!!!!!!!!

best to sell it and find what you need. then after you sell it a guy will be on here having a automatic 521 wants to convert to manual!!!!!!!

it is a cool truck

Thanks
if your fine with a little work and some $$, toss a automatic KA in there, more power, fuel injected and automatic. just a thought

this what i have been thinking too. i cant imagin swaping an auto too hard in these trucks, maybe someone on the board can do it or know someone who could for a good price

I built an auto 620 with an L24B this was a great truck. the key to a good automatic truck is an engine with lots of torque.

if he loves the truck and wants to keep it, it's not that hard to convert to auto. how many people have done the auto to std Xover? this is the same, just the other way.

if he is just going to cruise, the stock engine will get him around, an l20 will make to go well.

the L24B truck I built did 10 second 0-60 times with a stock Z24 bottom end, L20B head and SU's