Oil cooler?

Rubberman

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

rusty, i would say that the cooler would probably have some benefeits (longer oil life, cooler engine temp, etc.) but i beleive your truck would benefeit more from maybe an extra oil filter instead, that particular oil cooler i can get for you if you really want it, i get a really good employee discount at my work and i can get it cheaper that what it is up to right now, let me know if i can help, i can get you an oil filter relocation kit for 2 filters for about 75 bucks and 2 large k and n filters for about 14 bucks each

What are you going to be doing with the motor? If there is no sustained heavy load on the motor (road racing, heavy towing) then it is not needed, and could actually hurt performance by overcooling the oil. So yeah, you don't need one.

What are you going to be doing with the motor? If there is no sustained heavy load on the motor (road racing, heavy towing) then it is not needed, and could actually hurt performance by overcooling the oil. So yeah, you don't need one.

:lol: He will be cruising it like a grandpa :lol:

Unless your running a turbo, and heating up your oil excessively, an oil cooler is a waste of money. Rotaries use them standard because they use the oil to cool the inside of the engines.

In addition to what Ryan said oil that is "too cool",just like trans fluid that is not warm enough is really not good for your car.My oil is routed thru the cooler in the radiator,so the temp is right where it should be.:cool:

Thanks for all the input fellas. I figured the cooler the oil, the better for the motor? And Slam, I want be driven her daily, but I'll probably drive her hard when I do get her out. Ghetto, whats the benefit for the two filters, other than the obvious, cleaner oil, lasting longer, does it help cool it a bit too? Would this be a good route?

I figured the cooler the oil, the better for the motor?

Oil has a optimal temperature range in which it does it's job best. To cool, and the viscosity of the oil is to heavy to circulate freely through the engine and it causes more drag on the moving parts, robbing power. To hot, and it is to thin to provide optimal lubrication. The only way to really know if you need an oil cooler is to install an oil temp gauge so you can see exactly what temperature the oil is seeing.

There was a great article in Grassroots Motorsports a few months ago about this subject. Its a good read if you want to know to much about your oil temperature.