My '71 510 project

I'm a newb to these cars and I'm starting out with a blank car, literally. I have no experience when it comes to these cars as this is my first one that I've always wanted. So my question is this, what is the perfect set-up when it comes to nothing more than a shell to start out with? I'm friends with the local Nissan shop that I'm getting the car from so I will get some help, but I'm looking at this as a slow going project that I will enjoy in the end. I work at a shop that has 5 CNC mills, so I can make whatever I may need to go further along, but I need to know where to start. This will not be a race car, just a weekender that will be used for pure enjoyment. When I mentioned that this is a blank canvas, I mean there is not even any wiring or suspension so let me know. Thanks for all of the help, and thanks for letting me ramble on :lol:

George

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

we started the same way except just a shell with the suspension. and we started out rebuilding the suspension new bushings and a steering kit. as well as removing the rear crossmember w/ control arms and the diff. we cleaned em up and painted on some really thick Rustoleum to prevent further rusting

I always wonder how these cars get to this .

esp when the bodies are still fairly straight. I seen beaters still on the road in worst shape.

Nice body on the car.Straight but alot of rust hole behind in the rear bumper area. That what is seen. Whats hidden is another thing.

if you dont have the extra parts this will cost you alot. Youll need to find another car to fix this and and that other guy might be better than fixing this one.

As for working Nissan friends dont mean much anymore. I go to nissan and they just give me crap I cant get this. What is a datsun ect. Then give them a part # then they go OH I didnt know they still had this.

Personally be better to buy a car done already(why ?its cheaper).Enjoy it and sell it before you get old.

been some nice ones on CL up here in washington recently.

best would be to sent it to Chip Foose and maybe he would BUILD IT in in one of his shows. Look what someone throw away

Edited by banzai510(hainz)

I hear you both on the parts car issue, but over here in Alabama these are few and far between. The major rust is right behind the right side rear bumper and I found a source for these already, the front apron I already have a NOS one ready to be bolted on. The Nissan dealer that this car is at, is not a "Dealer" but a repair shop that works on these along with 3 other type of cars. The guy working on it is very particular on these Datsun/Nissans because it's his living. I know it's going to take awhile and I have dedicated the time that it will take as this is the car I've always wanted. As far as parts go, he has a ton of them and whatever can't be found I'll look here and the other forums for a back-up. I only want to use this as a weekender vehicle and not a balls out vehicle that is raced, so with that being said give me some input as to what would be a way go.

George

give me some input as to what would be a way go. ??

depends on howmuch money you have. Otherwise you could be stripping it down more and sandblasting it. Your body man can be working on it already

But realistically

get some parts cars from the fields,backyards (title or no title)whatever. strip them and start bolting the good parts up to that car and get it rolling.

Fuck fixing the rust Roll it as a Ratsun!!!!!!!!!!!!!

give me some input as to what would be a way go. ??

depends on howmuch money you have. Otherwise you could be stripping it down more and sandblasting it. Your body man can be working on it already

But realistically

get some parts cars from the fields,backyards (title or no title)whatever. strip them and start bolting the good parts up to that car and get it rolling.

Fuck fixing the rust Roll it as a Ratsun!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hainz

overhauling show is long gone :D

where are you located that looks like a straight car i would snag it and put it on somthing to roll around on i my be able to help in that respect in kinda diggin the green and best part is its already flaired

where are you located that looks like a straight car i would snag it and put it on somthing to roll around on i my be able to help in that respect in kinda diggin the green and best part is its already flaired

I'm over here near Huntsville, Alabama and I'm definately getting it to build up from the ground up. My goal is gonna be to have fun and enjoy the project, so far all of the other cars I got into I never liked it as much as I enjoy these cars. Yeah the fender flares are a plus and they were done right, as far as I can tell just gotta fix the little rust spot :rolleyes: behind the bumper. There is a guy in Canada that makes a really nice replacement part for $75 and alittle body work here and there will make me more happy. As far as tricked out parts, I'm a supervisor and a CNC programmer with access to several machines so that will always be a plus.

Question about motor choices. Since I have nothing in the car to start with, what kind of motor and tranny should I go for? This will only be a weekend cruiser, so I'm trying to keep it on the budget side :D Also if there is a motor that would be a good common one, are there motor mounts already made or will I have to make my own? Thanks for all of the info.

you need to set a goal.

what do you want it to be when the project is finished....

study, research, plan.

get it together and run it with an L motor, or go all out and do an KA, VG or FJ.

if you know nothing about the Dattos, then I say put it together with an L20 and dogleg 5 sp, and let it evolve from there as you learn.

Lots of combo's that are great, if you do the homework.

Post what you expect from the finished product, and you will recieve lots of help.

I am a newbe here, but not to Datto's, (30+ years with them)

the people here have lots experiance and are more than willing to share.

Good luck, and post a build thread when you have a direction.:)

you need to set a goal.

what do you want it to be when the project is finished....

study, research, plan.

get it together and run it with an L motor, or go all out and do an KA, VG or FJ.

if you know nothing about the Dattos, then I say put it together with an L20 and dogleg 5 sp, and let it evolve from there as you learn.

Lots of combo's that are great, if you do the homework.

Post what you expect from the finished product, and you will recieve lots of help.

I am a newbe here, but not to Datto's, (30+ years with them)

the people here have lots experiance and are more than willing to share.

Good luck, and post a build thread when you have a direction.:)

I'm kinda leaning towards the L20 with a 5 speed and letting it evolve as I grow to enjoy it. I'm not a Datsun guy, I've been messing with Shelby Chargers and Dodge Omni GLH-T's for acouple of years now, and it's not what I was liking. There's something about a 510 that's always had a place that I wanted to build one and this kinda surfaced. As far as all the parts go, they are in the building next to where the car is and they are throwing me all I need and then some.

Fuzz

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Back from the dead....Got the rear end in today, but I didn't take any oic's of the process :unsure: I'll be adding updates as I go along, considering my wife is leaving me and I gotta put my mind on other things :blink: So what better to get your mind off of one wreck to start on anotherone :P

Fuzz

considering my wife is leaving me and I gotta put my mind on other things :blink: So what better to get your mind off of one wreck to start on anotherone :P

thats how my turbo 240z got done.

its a good thing to focus your energy on lol

• 1 month later...