filler sanding

bonvo

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

you want to at least have a D/A sander and a 10" to 16" board and a small block for tight areas. Quick cut it down with 80 grit D/A then block with with 80 but leave some material for blocking level with 120 grit.... deburr with 180 grit and skim it over with 180 D/A for feather edges... use good quality automotive grade sandpaper... the junk at the hardware store is no good... even if it says 3M. Go wint a good quality filler too... i like u-pol Featherweight and u-pol doliphin glaze for finishing touches

Ditto Steve G! The standard Bondo or equivalents are murder to sand, the best thing with them is to use a "Dragon Skin" cheeze cutter while not yet set and roughly shape to contour, then on with the sandpaper or grind wheels. Light weight Bondo is much easier to sand to contour. I don't know if the lightweight is more moisture resistant than standard but get a primer coat on it as soon as possible so that you won't find out the hard way. Good luck, wear a face mask when sanding!

Ditto Steve G! The standard Bondo or equivalents are murder to sand, the best thing with them is to use a "Dragon Skin" cheeze cutter while not yet set and roughly shape to contour, then on with the sandpaper or grind wheels. Light weight Bondo is much easier to sand to contour. I don't know if the lightweight is more moisture resistant than standard but get a primer coat on it as soon as possible so that you won't find out the hard way. Good luck, wear a face mask when sanding!

+1 what i use when removing the old bondo or excess is a plastic coated wire mesh wheel on my grinder. i could post a pic. it makes a hell of a mess but works wonders.... mask for sure!!! no bondo is not like coke:blink:

• 2 weeks later...

Also, keep your sanding block parallel to the surface you are working on and sand in an "X" pattern. If you sand in one direction, the bondo won't come out even, and the finish will be wavy. That applies to all blocks, whether they are big or small. Even the small palm blocks need to be used in that "X" pattern. I would also recommend avoiding as much hand sanding as possible. For curves and radiuses, I will generally wrap sandpaper around different size pieces of heater hose and use that in a "X" pattern, as well...