new engine rules

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm racing lz-24 datsun 620 and setting up 240sx WTF is a ford

He was suggesting a 8 valve dohc motor for you. Since its retarded to have a 2 valve per cylinder dohc, options are limited. Sure as hell not going to find a datsun/nissan in that configuration.

Edited by 72240z
KA24E is 3 valve SOHC

KA24DE is 4 valve DOHC

If you can only have two valves per cylinder then the 240sx KA motors are OUT!

The Z24 is is pretty much a KA motor bottom end. If you swap KA24E rods and pistons into the Z24 block then it is, but much lighter. Only 2 valve head you could use is the L head so you are as far as you can go. A guy on here: http://forum.ratsun.net/member.php?u=2422 stroked the Z24 crank and used some king of toyota cut down piston /rod (I forget) and punched it out to 2.6 liters.

Found it: http://forum.ratsun.net/showthread.php?t=16959

Edited by datzenmike
  • 1 month later...

too bad ur a ford 4 cyl hater, cus i'd say 2500 stroker pinto motor with a esslinger head, or 1.6 lotus cortina.

pinto motors are similar to datsuns i guess.. theyre aweseome motors, way better than v8 fords

go to esslingers website is all i got to say.

Otherwords they wrote the rules to allow a Ford N9A, but made the rule LOOK like it allowed a broader scope. Someone must have lobbied the rules committee pretty hard for that one. Happens in boat racing all the time, that's how a Ford 2.0L is allowed in the 1L class (but everyone with $$$ runs 2-stroke jetski engines now).

You already HAVE your ultimate engine if you want to stay Nissan. Anything 2.4L after the Z24 is going to be at least 12V. All you need to change is your fuel delivery if you want to go EFI.

• 2 weeks later...

Cosworth Vega had one engine choice, the DOHC 16-valve head engine.

Vegas were real smokers on the road too...they are nearly all gone, while Datsuns are still being used as daily drivers. More Pintos have survived, I saw a couple last year, along with dozens of Datsuns commuting around.

Speaking from ignorance but how many valves did the Cosworth Vega engine have? They came with a special ratio Borg Warner 5 speed that was matched to the engine torque curves and were real smokers on the race circuit.

75 Cosworth Vega was 4 sp.

for 76 the 5 sp. was an option, 4 speed still standard. only about half had the 5sp

option.... or about 800 cars.

• 2 weeks later...