new this is my datsun project

1978dat620

i got this a couple weeks ago it seams like a good start it ran like crape when i first got it got 13mpg staled when accelerating and most gauges where not working i now have it running good still hesitates some and seams to burn excess amount of oil it has a weard intake manifold might be part of problem with hesitation when accelerating number 2 and 3 cylinder seam to be running rich or not igniting inless mashing the gas got oil and brake lights to work still cant get heater gauge todatsuntruck1978003.jpg work have rpm gauge on the way couldnt afford stock one but got a jdm style i instaled a super coil and ajusted the weber carb that helped even more i still only get 17.5 mpg i should be getting 20 or so right at least thats what my auto l20 got the person befor swaped a l16 wich is sed to have a rebuild and has 5speed manual it also has a paint job but they seem to have painted over the rust wich i supected befor buying i whant to paint it green anyways well thats all the gripes for now i will take a pic of the manifold if someone can help me identify it that would be great will post more laterdatsuntruck1978003.jpgdatsuntruck1978003-1.jpg

Edited by 1978dat620
  • Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

nice truck. Has the back end been raised up? We can't have that around here :lol:

What is that on the intake manifold? it looks like a block-off plate. Strange. I'm sure someone around here knows what it is.

good luck!

E.G.R valve? least that's where mine is at :)

yes thats an egr block off plate as for intake it looks like a stock l20 intake heater gadge? you mean temprature gadge? if thats what you mean it looks like nothing is connected to the temprature sender which would make the gadge not operate as for ignition try some new wires and plugs possibly cap and rotor the wires that are on it look like they have been on there since the truck was new (not really but they look old) it also looks like you have a points dist can we get a pic under the dist cap?

i tryed to take some better pics oh and i alredy changed wires and cap rotor thos are pics from when i first got it hope thes are better the second pic is of what i think is the sending unit for the temp gauge yelow wire

datsuntruck1978004.jpg

this

datsuntruck1978003-2.jpg

i am looking for a carpet kit i was told the 720 kit will work is this true

datsuntruck1978004-2.jpg

and yeah i dont see to many rust free datsuns up in this end they are ushualy on the farm rusting away thanks

Edited by 1978dat620

thanks for the feedback i love my truck to

i just got my rpm gauge going to instal it tomarow i cant wait also got a canopy im going to start my camper project convert it into a bed with stove and sink i am thinking on lowering the rear if you use blocks that will not ruin the ride right

thanks for the feedback i love my truck to

i just got my rpm gauge going to instal it tomarow i cant wait also got a canopy im going to start my camper project convert it into a bed with stove and sink i am thinking on lowering the rear if you use blocks that will not ruin the ride right

Blocks work just fine while keeping the ride .

i thinkin on puttin a 1989 240 drive train in my truck is that a good swap from what i have sean it seams like a good set up dus any one Know exactly what parts i need

ecmu maf motor tranny wiring harness weldor are there any other major parts im forgetting thanks man there are some great trucks on this site im going to have to make it clean

i picked up some parts today a storage tray in not so good shape but better then nothing if someone hase one in great shape i am intrested i also scord some hood bumpers it is a huge inprovment less nois better looking i was veary tempted to pick up a set of stock floor mates but decided i whant to have some custom made i might be picking up a ka24e motor harness and maf ecmu i am wandering are al ka24e motors inerchangebal or is it rwd fwd only thanks cant waittttttt to get this rollin and burn somthin :D

Guest DatsuNoob

Great looking truck!:cool: ...but please! throw some blocks back there! :D

It should ride fine so long as you trim/remove your bump stops. If you dont you'll be slamming axle all day with 3'' blocks.