VPL221 on ebay

Sounds like it ended up in decent hands. Got to get him over here and a build thread going.

Heads up 320 owners... In the Stockton, CA Pick n Pull there is a 1964+ 320 with the turn signal lamps in the grill. Engine is there (1200), floor shift four speed is there. Body is rusty, interior stripped, w/shield busted. I may be able to get some pix if someone needs.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey welcome! if you scroll up on the last page you'll see a pic of a page out of the nissan model guide on the vpl221. At the bottom of that page is the production years and units produced.

I don't take it as gospel but I have never seen the nissan model guide wrong.

Where oh where is my east coast 320, where oh where could it be..... lol

P.S. friendly advice to a new member..... We LOVE pics here, we NEED them, we are addicted to them like a drug and people will voice that lol. When you get a chance starting a new thread introducing yourself and these wonderful datsuns you own would be great.

Edited by 72240z
Fisch, remind me later, I think I may have a lead on a windshield for you.

I have owned a few Nash Metros and an Austin A40. (Platform for Sprites and Midgets) I think that an A40 uses a slightly curved windshield just like the Datsun 221-223 cars/trucks. There would be many more of these windscreens out there than our rare little Dattos. Austin and Datsun were pretty tight in the late '50s when these cars were being built (Engines engineering stuff). Datsun build A40 Austins on license too.

In any case, I'm looking for a windshield, last one I saw was on ebay from a guy around San Diego for $400.

Curtis in Sacramento.

I have owned a few Nash Metros and an Austin A40. (Platform for Sprites and Midgets) I think that an A40 uses a slightly curved windshield just like the Datsun 221-223 cars/trucks. There would be many more of these windscreens out there than our rare little Dattos. Austin and Datsun were pretty tight in the late '50s when these cars were being built (Engines engineering stuff). Datsun build A40 Austins on license too.

In any case, I'm looking for a windshield, last one I saw was on ebay from a guy around San Diego for $400.

Curtis in Sacramento.

Thanks man! I asked a guy about an a50 windshield and it was a bit big for the `59 l210. But I bet the a40 is probably a better bet!

Just today I asked a guy about a austin FX4 london Taxi, but it was totally flat and not the right shape.

I discovered that the suzuki swift, geo metro has just about the same curve as the '59 but would need to be cut down. Sandblasting seems to be the prefered way to do that. But I have not tried it yet. And you can get those windshields pretty cheap. Which is great cause you might break a few!

Really appreciate the info!! Glad to know you are out there looking too!

22240Z,

I picked up this truck. I'm a member. I have a 223 with frame damage and a running motor. The tailgate will be an issue. I think i can use a NL320 drop door and section it. The engine will be a rebuilt A-14 with GX 5 speed, going to leave the low gears alone. I will not be painting it. I will be selling my 320 with a A-15 and 5 speed to fund the purchase.

And big congrats dude!! That there might just be the the rarest Datsun in the country!!

Fisch,

AHHHHH!! You're the guy that got that little '59. I was buggin' the lady's son for 4 weeks solid to get that car... can't win them all.

Hee-hee! Yup that's me! I still can't believe my luck!

Thanks man! I asked a guy about an a50 windshield and it was a bit big for the `59 l210. But I bet the a40 is probably a better bet!

Just today I asked a guy about a austin FX4 london Taxi, but it was totally flat and not the right shape.

I discovered that the suzuki swift, geo metro has just about the same curve as the '59 but would need to be cut down. Sandblasting seems to be the prefered way to do that. But I have not tried it yet. And you can get those windshields pretty cheap. Which is great cause you might break a few!

Really appreciate the info!! Glad to know you are out there looking too!

Hey fisch, here's another option for cutting down windshields.

Windshield cutting was explained to me many years ago on the HAMB. You have to tape both sides exactly the same. Then blast one side moving spots and taking brakes often to keep the heat down. Go just to the plastic inside then switch sides. Do not try to blast the plastic, it'll just move around and heat up the glass on the other side.

I was going to sandblast Choptana's windshield. I did some investigating on how to do it. I had seen it done on a pair of real glass taillight lenses for My 1956 Ford panel that I wanted to put bluedots in. They came out great without breaking. My initial idea on the windshield blasting was to cover the glass with sheetmetal pieces and electrical tape. Guy Gray turned Me onto BUTTERCUT, which is a rubberized covering that He uses to sandblast the SWDP plaques. Artists also use it to blast away letters on rocks, such as sandstone, that We all have seen. BUTTERCUT is a nickname for a 3M product and can be easily located. I did try it on a spare piece of windshield and IT WOULD WORK. However I located a person within a week that could, and did, cut My windshield. It is My opinion that if You can locate the correct curvature for the '59 windshield, with some practice, it can be done using BUTTERCUT. More on this subject later......

More on this subject later......

Look forward to it mike.

Here is what I have read on it. He used like a foil tape on the edge of the cut. But the also recommends something called Hartco Sandmask. Which sounds similar to what you mentioned.

http://www.cadvision.com/blanchas/54pontiac/windshield.html

And a link to Sandmask.

http://www.wensco.com/Products/categories.aspx?CatID=233&MasterCat=N&Parent=7|86|233

OK, here is the "more later". Buttercut is actually made by two different sources. 3M and Anchor. What I bought is Anchor Stencil Products part number 70069. Also on the box is #117 Stencil 15" X 10 yards.

Note the difference on this over foil as most importantly, FOIL HEATS UP ! !

Buttercut is a very durable rubber material that the sand just bounces itself away from Your cut area. I would strongly suggest trying it over any other idea.

I bought My roll in Las Vegas at a sign supply shop.

Got the car home last night about 8:00pm. Was 30 degree slope, on a dam footing... no kidding!! Don Pedro Dam. Lots of fun and 2 hours later got it loaded up on the car trailer. More body damage than shown in E-bay pix. Soo... I'm going to pull the parts from my 223 truck to fix front end.

I will have an excellent spare front and a damaged front fender, hood, doors, and tailgate from the 223 to sell/trade

I will be needing a NL320 rear tailgate, SPL 310 front seats, and early hubcaps. Santa!!! Hey Santa!!!:blink::blink: