VPL221 on ebay

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The missing drivetrain is nothing. I haven't seen very many '58-62 Datsuns with the original "E" engine. In fact, most are in the same condition as that- minus the engine/transmission. Makes me wonder where the heck they all went, because when you find '63+ 320s or 410s they usually have the E1 in them, or at least a J-series (since it bolts right up). I even saw a nearly restored '59 221 pickup for sale, but it was minus engine.

Any J-series would go right in without having to hack up anything on the truck itself. The column shifter would have to go, but it unbolts and just use a floor shifter. Have to replace the tranny tunnel anyway since it's missing. Simple sheet metal bending needed there.

If it wasn't for the lack of paperwork (and the lack of a tailgate) I'd be seriously considering it. But I couldn't do it true justice, being that I don't do bodywork.

fisch

freaky510 and i were talking. you buy it well take a road trip and pick it up & send the windshield

For real? Granted I am pretty broke at the moment, so I imagine it will go for more than I am willing to spend to risk a windshield. Imagine if it broke coming out.:eek: I will write the guy and ask if the windshield has any cracks.

Scott

For real? Granted I am pretty broke at the moment, so I imagine it will go for more than I am willing to spend to risk a windshield. Imagine if it broke coming out.:eek: I will write the guy and ask if the windshield has any cracks.

Scott

Sweet, keep us posted

Scott

Could I buy the car after you get the windshield?

I'm thinking my R might have a new home in it, it honestly looks in better shape then my roadster... I wonder if the roadster brakes could be adapted to fit on it.. I've got a spare set.

Could I buy the car after you get the windshield?

I'm thinking my R might have a new home in it, it honestly looks in better shape then my roadster... I wonder if the roadster brakes could be adapted to fit on it.. I've got a spare set.

My guess is that is H2theizzo and Freaky picked it up, they'd want the rest of it!:)

In all honestly I probably won't bid, unless is stays really low and I get a wild hair up my butt and bid!

Plus I might have a line on a windshield that could possibly fit from another source. But I am waiting to get some measurements from the owner.

I will keep my eyes on it for sure though!

Scott

If you're not worried about the rubber, its easy to remove a windshield. Cut the rubber to shreds! I've done a couple.

I don't know how common they are in Mexico, but they have some there. i was watching a documentary called "Romantico" about a mariachi singer, and right when he returns to mexico there is a shot of one cruisin the street. It look a little rough but it was driving! IMCDB doesn't list the movie or i'd show it. so maybe a tailgate could be sourced. $100 bucks with 1 day left. Someone get it and at least store it properly. I'll buy it from you in 10 years!

I don't know how common they are in Mexico, but they have some there. i was watching a documentary called "Romantico" about a mariachi singer, and right when he returns to mexico there is a shot of one cruisin the street. It look a little rough but it was driving! IMCDB doesn't list the movie or i'd show it. so maybe a tailgate could be sourced. $100 bucks with 1 day left. Someone get it and at least store it properly. I'll buy it from you in 10 years!

I think maybe your confusing the vpl221 (1000) with the v320 (1200)which look very similar and there are way more of. The production figures on the 221 are like 106 units sold, don't think they have "some" there honestly. Anything is possible I guess, really don't think so though. How even that one got here is mind boggling.

The 1 in the 2 pics I posted are v320's too btw that IMCDB had listed as vpl221. I myself didn't realize until after I posted them and said screw it thats as close as we are going to get to seeing one go crazy lol. Goes to show though.

Edited by 72240z

Nice to see this thing has reached over $300 bones at least! (5 hours to go) More than I'd spend at the moment for a windshield risk. But glad to see it is going for more than $50!

I think maybe your confusing the vpl221 (1000) with the v320 (1200)which look very similar and there are way more of. The production figures on the 221 are like 106 units sold, don't think they have "some" there honestly. Anything is possible I guess, really don't think so though. How even that one got here is mind boggling.

The 1 in the 2 pics I posted are v320's too btw that IMCDB had listed as vpl221. I myself didn't realize until after I posted them and said screw it thats as close as we are going to get to seeing one go crazy lol. Goes to show though.

That's true, but would the tailgate fit is the question? I bet the 221 is smaller, but a 320 gate might be customized maybe. Either i thought it was weird because we had been discussing this ride and it popped up in a movie i was watching that night. it was rolling real slow with the hood popped! Of course i yelled at my wife "that's a datsun!"

I actually sent the seller a nice message asking if he would relay to the new owner all of us at ratsun are very curious to know whats to become of it. If he actually relays the message and if the new owner feels like taking the time to post then we will find out. I hope.

• 2 weeks later...

well, might as well get the new link back up here, just incase a ratsun member wants it. No bids yet. I wished it was closer.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1960-DATSUN-1200-TRUCK-WAGON-TYPE-VPL221_W0QQitemZ310185810668QQcmdZViewItemQQptZSalvage_Parts_Cars?hash=item483883daec

Edited by 420n620