Going to look at a Z tomorrow

Guest DatsuNoob

Guest DatsuNoob

Well, as some of you know, I drive a very blah, non-Datsun 95 Corolla to and from work everyday. She's been very dependable, but at 211,000+ miles it's nearing its time to be replaced more and more everyday. I talked to one of my crane guys here at work, and he mentioned he has a pretty fair gold/green colored 76 280Z with 5 speed, F.I., and a solid floor, for sale for $1000. Also a blue 78 with dual weber downdrafts, and a slightly rougher body, that he cant get running right for $500. I need to get behind the wheel of a Datsun again real soon, and would probably have more fun everyday in a Z than a Toyota. So I'm gonna go have a look tomorrow and possibly see what I can knock the price down to, if it's worth buying.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

take the 76. the dual weber setup is crap on a z for some reason. more ppl than not cant get them running right. that being said you could always buy my dual su setup, rebuild them and use those. both cars will be almost the same, but if one has the a/c opton you may want to go that route. floor for the s30 are easy to get, so dont let that stop you unless you or no one you know can weld

Guest DatsuNoob

So the seller says he has another buyer lined up. I know, I know, he may be bluffing, might not. I saw it again last night when he drove it into work, and offered him $850. He really wants a thousand though. Might miss out on this one if he's not willing to negotiate. He says it has all new front susp bushings, ball joints, tie rods, etc., new brakes, R200 rear, L28 supposedly with about 160k, nearly new tires on Western turbines, a few dents in the rear quarters behind the wheel, normal cancer spots in rockers and doors, but otherwise not too bad. I do like that it has a straight roofline, and original paint, so no surprises with gobs of bondo over rust/hack body repairs, etc. It'll need a pair of doors, rockers, maybe a fender. I know it's hard to judge without seeing pics, but do you guys think his price sounds good, or am I just being a cheap bastard? I need some opinions here. Thanks

How bad do you want it Justin? A guy could wrap a lot a money into replacing all those parts on a datsun.

Are you buying it just to be a daily beater? Or are you investing in a potential future project?

If you mostly need a replacement for the corolla... well I'd look for something other than the Z. Thats MY opinion. I do think it would be cool to see you in a datsun again, especially a Z.

Sounds like he is asking a reasonable amount for it.

The 1976 would already come stock with an R200 rear. 3.54 ratio

You can swap in a 3.9 from a 280zx for more pep, or leave it stock for better highway millage.

If you're not completely sold on it then stick with your offer. See if this other seller comes through with cash. You know how many flakes there are out there shopping for cars. :) There will be other z-cars around.

My .02 - if you want a driver, that you can drive and not fuck with or spend a ton of money on, get a B13 Sentra. I am extremely happy with the SE-R I bought. And it is a blast to drive. Quiet. A/C. Cruise control. You get the idea..

Guest DatsuNoob

The buyer didnt come through :rolleyes:, so now I sense he's thinking my offer's soundin pretty good now. He came up to me today and asked if I still wanted a Z, price is now $800. I'm real tempted but have been actually looking for newer cars for a DD. I just really need something trusty I can put 60+ miles a day on. My plan was to wait a little while longer, until I have a hefty down for a short term loan, but I've always wanted a Z! :eek: Really on the fence now.

Guest DatsuNoob

Push came to shove today, so I drove out to Bonney Lake and bought it earlier this afternoon. The place was almost like Paolo's, but for Z cars :lol:. He had half a dozen straight bodied algae covered gems chillin under some trees. I got the only runner though. I'm so stoked to be in a Datto again. :DDriving a Z is alot of fun too btw!:D Pics to come.

Guest DatsuNoob
congrats dude, what happend to your truck?

The truck is still getting worked on atleast 4 days a week for a few hrs a day. I've been working on the under side of the bed and it's nearly ready for a few coats of POR-15 chassis black. Not giving up on it (got way too much time and money in it to ever turn back), just wanted another Datsun to drive.