620 Tow Truck

athoose

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Doesn't the tow truck need to be at least twice the weight of what's towed? Yeah, don't do it. My 620 weighs 3,400 now and I've carried 7-800 lb of firewood in it (likely more) and it feels very very 'heavy'. Would NOT want to be traveling any distance like that in traffic.

Yeah, I thought it would require modification like brakes, engine, trans. I was wondering about suspension. I had heard about the double the weight but know others who have towed, perhaps not safely with a vehicle of less weight. Yes, I would want it to tow safely. So I guess if you do need to be double the weight, I would be about 2500lbs. shy. Ehhh, just a thought.

If i were really wanting a 620 tow truck i would look for a rear out of one of the duel wheel toyota trucks and swap up on some break parts. I have 2 720 trucks and with an empty car trailer taking it back to its owner could tell it was back there and with no brakes on the trailer did not like me to stop quick. I do not think you need twice the weight to tow anything. Most half ton trucks pull a trailer with another truck on it alright. A set of lower gears and trailer brakes on the dolly may get you what you want. Your motor and tranny should be fine with a set of lower gears. If you do not get lower gears then you will have drive line problems for sure. If it were an occasional thing then that is what i would do. 4.10 or 4.56 gears and trailer brakes. On a tractor trailer the trailer with load out weighs tractor by several tons. This is why the trailer dropping off into a ditch will flip the tractor.

Yeah, 620s are great for hauling, not for towing. I tow bar-ed a 720 with the 620 (sold now) a while back. Going straight was fine, turning, not so much. Any small truck or car pushes the rear end around. I had to load about 400 pounds of crap rock right next to the tailgate to have enough traction to actually take a corner. And even then it was REALLLY sketchy.

To give you an idea, the an SC 620 weighs about 2450 pounds. My 4x4 hardbody extended cab weighs 3800 pounds, and even that's light for something other than a small trailer.