tnip's '71 521

tnip

since at this point i have posted very few pictures of my truck, i decided i would take some and throw em up here. plus mark wanted to see it for some strange reason.

it was basically just like every other mostly stock 521 when i bought it and within 2 weeks it was stripped down to what you see here. i even took the seat out for a while and managed to repair the few holes in the drivers side floor, haven't got around to the passenger side. also pretty quickly after i got it home i stopped some of the cancer from spreading using rust inhibitor stuff and then throwing primer over it cause idk why. the hood is black cause i was gonna spray it all black, then i found some gray primer and decided to do that... you'll see. basically no prep and breezy conditions resulted in crappy "painting". i won't include any underhood shots cause it's a joke under there right now.

IMG_07361.jpg

IMG_07621.jpg

IMG_07301.jpg

holes in dash from ac system that was installed, up for grabs if anybody wants to pay the shipping and a couple bucks... i figured out that a can fills it nicely. eventually will have a couple unopened tops sticking out of the dash for no reason. :) seat is from a 620 i guess.

IMG_07411.jpg

under the "one way" sign:

IMG_07421.jpg

IMG_07401.jpg

passenger side:

IMG_07391.jpg

driver's side:

IMG_07331.jpg

you may all laugh if you wish at my strange desire to seemingly randomly paint bits. i often don't quite remember why i didn't paint it all when i was in the process... i think it has to do with my dad constantly saying, oh what about if you do this? and then i'd say yea, or i could also do this... so instead i got patches of primer over stock paint and no prep work... cause i'm dumb.

more of the really bad rust up front:

IMG_07351.jpg

IMG_07341.jpg

i figure getting a replacement rad. support will be the quickest and easiest way to fix these lil areas.

overall, i know what it will look like when i'm done. i know what my skill level is and what i'm willing to pay to have done. the end result will be nice. pending this job thing working out, i will hopefully be able to work on it alot more soon. i will try to keep this updated with... stuff... or nothing.

basically the only reason i'm bothering putting these up is for a "before" and because mark asked and i feel like if he can get as much awesome work done as he can, then i can at least take pics and fess up to my laziness and constant distractions and lack of motivation.

:mellow: honesty... it's odd sometimes.

does anybody on here know how to get in touch with airedout, other than by PM?

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thomas thanks for the 521 pixx. Other than the rust the body look ok to me & you could prob. buff out whats left of the blue :D Was the A/C a factory unit? I like the mag rims too,,has the vintage look! And yeah id swap out the core support instead of trying to fix all that rust. I can help you along the way too :cool:

Nice project, a few days with the "mud gun" and it will be top notch! :D Good practice to. Someone needs to reindex there torsion bars :D It looks really straight thats for sure, most 521's are dented to shit.

Nice...a little rusty, but nice...

If you in a wet area you wanna get that primer off of the rust and get it treated adn sealed up. Water will soak into the primer and it will rust alot faster...don't ask how I know :rolleyes:

well i appreciate it guys.

mark- i don't think the a/c was factory. but def an old setup. i'll try to remember to get some pics tomorrow. dark and wet out right now... i wish i freakin lived close to you so i could benefit from your experience in person.

ice- is this "mud gun" i hear about something to do with welding? somewhere i missed the origins of that joke, and i've always wondered exactly what the deal is with that.

redeye- yea i know... it's a lil wet here, humid anyway... most of the year... i figure it's been rotting away for 36 years and it's only done these spots, it'll be ok for the next year or so till i get the body all buttoned up. :)

71- i have decided i could in fact repair the doors and even the front support pretty damn easily and might end up doing it this one way, no welding... just form some panels over the areas by hand, crudely i'm sure, add strategic tabs before i cut it out, then remove the rust and rivet the panels in place... i think it might look.. interesting... but another part of me wants to do it the right way and weld in stuff, but since i don't have a welder, and i do have a few stainless panels layin around ... actually... i do like riveted panels from old fighter jets and stuff... now i need to think...

yea... i don't have enough stainless to do everything, and its like industrial grade so it's not polished. fact is that it might not be stainless, my uncle grabbed it for me from work and said it was stainless... idk how to tell, it's been sittin in the bed of my truck for 6 months and hasn't rusted so... i assume it is. but i've got three panels about 2ft sq, but im gonna use two of them in the floor... so maybe i'll just use some aluminum panels, easier to beat into shape anyway as far as i know, and won't rust :D well not turn into crap and fall apart anyway... i do think that's what i'm gonna do... cut out the bad parts and rivet in some aluminum... just so i can seal up the doors and the front end a lil better...

I went and looked at a similar truck near Olympia a couple of years ago..it was rusted worse than that and had tape across the holes in the bottom of the doors and he was asking 600...

easily fixed with the right metal...

Haha was the truck blue with silver tape holding the door skins on? Josh's right? That was one of my old trucks, I saved if from the tweakers :D I traded that truck for the 68.

ice- is this "mud gun" i hear about something to do with welding? somewhere i missed the origins of that joke, and i've always wondered exactly what the deal is with that.

Duke started it, he said mig welders are for trailers. He's a bigger fan of the Tig welder. Which I agree the Tig is a nicer and more precise instrument. The Mig can easily make a big pile of metal on your weld. So he was referring to the pile of metal being Mud :D They both have there purposes, the mud gun (mig) is just easy and faster for me.

tnip it's always nice to have before pic's. then when your done people can see what you started with. many times i forget to take before pics.

c'mon now you got me really wanting to see under the hood. pretty please!!

is that a 620 seat? i thought they were too wide to fit in a 521.

btw your avatar is much better now.:)

yea the seat is technically too wide, it rubs on the inside of the cab just a tiny amount, the rear frame is bowed a lil too... so if it was straight i think it would rub some more. i want to keep the bench, but i might scrap it if my newest ideas see the light of day... under the hood is nothing special. everything is orig. except for the annoying weber 32/36 and the rat's nest of wiring that the po did. and it's got some other alt. i think it might be a gm unit, altho i'm not sure... i took a pic of the label to figure it out and forgot until just now. haha...

unfortunately for my truck there's a ton of stuff going on in my life right now that prevent me from really tearing into it. i am however going to make a promise to my fellow ratsun brothers that if i haven't touched this truck by the beginning of next year i will be seriously considering giving her up to someone who will get her running good and on the road. or the other option is to park her under a tarp and let her rot away a lil more so that 5 years from now when she's about to fall apart i'll get the bug real bad and want to save her... altho if the floor is gone then it'll be easier to justify doing a body drop on a custom chassis... hmm haha

i think too much, i have too many ideas that i think will be good and i have too much planned for the rest of my life to really focus on my 521 right now. which is sad, but that's how it is for me right now.

Hell it is a project, rust can be fixed. It is just takes time and it will be a roller. Nice little truck though. I agree with PAcific Coast...replace the core support...that will save you a lot of hassel...Best of luck....It will bw worth it in the end