Common and UNcommon engine swaps

DRIVEN

Since picking up my first 510 wagon about a year ago I have been doing quite a bit of research about engine swaps. I thought this might be a good spot for everyone to give some input about swaps they've seen or done. I'm actually more interested in seeing the uncommon stuff, but please include LZs, VGs, etc. Photos would make it even better. Maybe if it really gets rolling it might become a sticky. Treat this thread like an archive more than an advise column. Please list:

-Engine and transmission used.

-Necessary modifications to crossmember and/or body.

-Photos.

-Were you satisfied or would you do anything different?

• Like 1
  • Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

the swap I have is pretty common, a KA. flipped xmember, tranny molded to fit. gallery.me.com/hackeyesup tons of pics in the 510 section. Going T pretty quick here just a few more little parts.

I think the KA is a pretty damn common swap. adding the T pretty uncommon.

There's a 1200 guy on here w/ a 4AG-E in his coupe. The F20C motor is also a good "out-of-the-box" option that a few have done, but damn those motors are expensive.

I wanna see a QR25DE, Frontier swap!

-Brian

Not posting a picture, since my L/Z frankenmotor just looks like an L20b or something.

Engine and transmission used

Z22E block, L20b crank, Z22E rods/pistons, A87 head, SUs

Transmission from 82 200sx

Necessary modifications to crossmember and/or body

None.

Were you satisfied or would you do anything different?

Completely satisfied. With ~115hp at the wheels with a healthy torque curve, the only thing I need to do next is go EFI so I can take advantage of the higher RPMs -- the engine currently runs out of breath on the 38mm SUs. I have every intention of driving this motor until I kill it.

I will probably build a couple more, actually. Maybe slightly larger bore, higher compression... just to really quantify the performance increase.

There's a 1200 guy on here w/ a 4AG-E in his coupe. The F20C motor is also a good "out-of-the-box" option that a few have done, but damn those motors are expensive.

I wanna see a QR25DE, Frontier swap!

-Brian

F20C would be a great option. Forgot all about it.

Have you seen a QR25DE swapped?

(BTW, that Turbo Coupe T-bird down Corn Pass is what got me thinking about this...too much free time I guess)

There was a guy running around San Diego a few years back with a Buick 215 all aluminum V8 engine in his 510 and another guy with one in a 620.

I also knew a guy that was putting a Capri V6 into a 1200 but he never finished it because he got married and she ruined his life. Yes, they are still married! :blink:

• Like 1

Things I've always wanted to see in a dime...

Ford Cosworth YB from a Euro Ford Sierra Cosworth Turbo

64.jpg

Mercedes Cosworth out of a 190E 2.3-16v or 2.5-16V if you're feeling frisky...

hqdefault.jpg

BMW S14 From the E30M3

bmw_m3_motor_s14_p0025890-c.gif

Mercedes M111 16v motor out of the W202 cars (these are going cheap compared to Cossie motors, and IMO are just as good or better)

Motorrom12.jpg

If you want to keep it on the islands...

Toyota 3S-GTE

hardtargetengine.jpg

Toyota 1UZ-FE, Someone put one of these in a TE27 celica.

DSC03212.jpg

im working on a 13b swap. will have street ported housings from a 1979 cosmos, high comp rotors, new apex seals, and portmatched racing beat headers. rotarys have a huge powerband which will help tremendously during autocross. theres a fair amount of rotary haters around, but im confident in this specific engine, and im relatively brand agnostic. far as im concerned, i get to goto mazda and nissan car shows! :D :fu: rad.

problems- reliability under high boost, cutting firewall, front crossmember height (oil pan). engine build and swap will cost $1500-$2000 installed by a professional.

Whoa.....I think this has turned into a "what-my-dream-swap-would-be" thread. I'm assuming he originally wanted to know what would be realistic.

Personally I have a VG30, and it's been in there for probably 6+ years. Love it. Runs great, tons of torque, plenty fast. Engine is way under-stressed in that car so your never in fear of breaking it. Parts are ridiculously easy to find. Tons of intake options. Only mod to the body was the shifter hole. Had to modify the transmission crossmember. Front crossmember is stock since I'm using a Quest oil pan. Made engine mounts, but still using the 510 isolators. Wiring was easy. Plus, entire donor cars can be bought for $500.

There where a couple 4g swaps going on. if you think an sr has thraction problems in a dime imagine trying to get traction with a 4g63 in there

Most 4G's have power bands like this... ____/ whenever they put a supra sized turbo on it so I feel that would be completely useless for anything but drag.

A ST205 or ST185 based 3S car would be silly. I wish I could find it again.

F20C would be a great option. Forgot all about it.

Have you seen a QR25DE swapped?

(BTW, that Turbo Coupe T-bird down Corn Pass is what got me thinking about this...too much free time I guess)

Nope. Haven't seen a QR swap yet. Seen some vids on UTube of QR powered X-Trail SUV's. With an intake system, that motor sounds like a beast.

Yea, that damn T-Bird messes with me all the time. SOmetimes I think its a cop tagging speeders. Other times I think its someone pulling out of that side street.

-Brian

there is a 510 with a wrx motor in it... wagdatto was telling me about it

I wouldn't believe that until I saw it. There was talk of dropping one in a s30, it's way wider then the towers though. Most boxers are. Even cutting reliefs.....

I know the s30 is overall wider too, but I think the towers are just about the same.

Anything is possible though I guess.

Most 4G's have power bands like this... ____/ whenever they put a supra sized turbo on it so I feel that would be completely useless for anything but drag.

A ST205 or ST185 based 3S car would be silly. I wish I could find it again.

i dpnt remember saying any thing about putting a giant turbo on a 4g :)