datsun mechanic eugene area

skunk

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Any one know a good datsun mechanic in my area, or is anyone willing to do some work for me? will pay

there are some things going on with one of our 620s that are beyond my knowhow.:o

Beyond your know-how now but not for long if you own a Datsun. Nothing on them is un-knowable just un-known at the moment.

Do you have a service manual and some basic tools? If so, there shouldn't be a problem you can't handle on these trucks. Even the deluxe versions are very simple engineering and most people have the base models.

like Jesus said, ask around. There are people on this forum with over 20 years experience working on these cars. You'll find help.

well some of the work i want to do i more or less just need help because of my lack of tools and space to work in.

i want to lower my 73, never done befor seems easy, but i have one jack and my tool set is the 19.99 walmart special.

I think im going to need a new alternator, i know that cant be hard but once again my tools suck and i dont think i have any metric sockets.

yeah i know i need to go buy tools but id rather spend my cash on parts right now. and both of my datsuns need brake jobs and iv never toyd with brakes

I am going to assume that you have one truck that runs and drives right now. Spend a little money and get yourself some basic hand tools that will allow you to get the basics done.

You don't need to get a Snap On account to get started. Start hitting the pawn shops around Eugene and look at the tool boxes. Garage sales are a great place as well. Watch the "tools" section in craigs list. You would be amazed at what shows up. I have seen complete roll-a-ways go CHEAP.

Without the right tools, your new parts are worthless. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I would hit up a pawn shop for some tools!! if your on a budget. i try to grab all the craftsman and snap on stuff out of the lose pile of tools cheaper that way.I had made a whole set of snap on tools form a pawn shop for like 8bucks it took awhile buy it all but well worth it.If I was closer I would help ya out

Edited by freaky510
total dumdass it was already stated:(

im am going to start looking for some tools, i have some stuff laying around the house im going to try and sell on CL to get the cash.

some things i still just dont have the space to work. my parking spot is on the street and thats about my work space.

we have a drive way but the only car thats alowed to park there is the Charger and im not alowed to work next to it.

both trucks run, the 77 need a new alt, i cant use my head lights and turn sigs at same time, i work night and alway drive at night so that kinda sucks, and it sound like somthings going on with the brakes, + what evers going on with the carb

the 73 just needs tires and a working heater and somethings wrong with the wipers they work, just one of them is loud and swings off some times i think it needs a brake job as well tho

Met up with skunktruckin and jas-ifras today. We looked over a couple of different things on both trucks. Got both heaters working, they are both missing the mixing valve, but the flaps and fans all work.

On the '72:

1. We were able to get the slow leakers fixed free at Les Schwab, turns out one had a nail in it.

2. Got the brakes bled but didn't pull the drums, only had to adjust the pass rear. They still need to be taken apart and have the drums, shoes and wheel cylinders inspected. skunktruckin reinstalled the steering wheel, and took it for a spin. Seems to stop much better. The rear reservoir was almost empty when we started, and I did get air from all four wheel cylinders. The MC did not appear to be leaking, and overall the brake system seemed to be in good condition. All the bleeders opened relatively easily, the fluid was rusty, but we flushed most of it out.

3. The wiper pivot mount on the driver's side is broken. We looked over what is needed to fix it.

4. Discovered the pin for the brake light switch at the pedal was stuck, fixed that and we called it good for the day.

On the '78 KC:

1. I looked over the front end and the carb, and we plugged a couple of open vacuum lines left over from the smog pump removal. This improved driveability a little bit. With only a bit of carb cleaner and the vacuum lines plugged, it stopped dying at a stop. It does pop now and then, and the truck dieseled pretty badly when we shut it off at the tire shop. The carb is in sad shape, but it's a Weber and I think with a kit and throttle shaft bushings, it will be ok.

2. The upper ball joints are seriously fried. Apparently when it was aligned, the alignment guy said the center link was bent. I couldn't see it, if it is, but it's hard to tell because it's adjusted out so far.

3. Lower ball joints looked ok.

4. Rotors looked ok.

5. Alternator OK

6. Battery OK

We took this truck to Schwab for the tires on the other one, and it sounds like a couple of things going on underneath. One sounds like an exhaust pipe banging on the frame, and the other might be a carrier bearing. It's really hard to hear and locate the second sound, and I didn't actually drive. I did notice that it is predominantly in 1st and 2nd, once speed is up a bit, it diminishes. We also checked the battery and the alternator, and they both appear to be fine. The lights dimming/slow blinkers seem to be a component of idle speed, more than anything. He does have a split/damaged ground cable from the block to the neg on the battery, and this may be causing some issues.

Not too much that skunktruckin hasn't already identified. The '72 is now up on all fours, runs pretty well, and stops like a 4 drum truck stops. The KC, is going to need at a minimum upper ball joints, and a carb rebuild. We didn't get to the brakes on that one.

Parts needed:

-Reservoir cap for the master. One of them is torn and really messed up.

-Good ground cable

-Upper ball joints, possibly a center link

-Correct size bolts to pull the drums (pressing them off)

-Weber rebuild kit

-Wiper linkage with pivots

Help needed:

-An actual 620 guy to listen to the KC and help figure out what we were hearing from underneath

Had a lot of fun with both of you, glad I could help out a little bit. :)