What brand for ignition components?

I am putting a NAPS-Z in my 510, and I want a coil with a bit more juice, and I am wondering before I buy, what kind of luck have you all had with which brands?

now, keep in mind, I have a rather rare NAPS-Z20S....its a 2.0l with the 4 spark plug head, so it only has one coil...I have heard some people had problems with running aftermarket coils on the 8 plug heads, so before we get into that discussion, it is a 4 SPARK PLUG NAPS Z HEAD...so, I only need one coil.

so, MSD, Accel, Mallory, Pertronix, Holly, or Jacobs?

I just want a bit more spark but I want something reliable, this will be my daily driver...

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

most of the people around where I work have a pretty dim view about aftermarket ignition components, so I havent had any help there, and I have never installed anything other than factory ignition parts on any of my rides, so any info on how long you guys have been using said brands would be helpful too!

Most of the coils I looked at were around the same price range and same voltage, so I am guessing they are all using something close to the same types of materials to build them, so basically I am wondering who has the best engineering.

Edited by Spades

If the care runs right now with no issues maybe consider just leaving it. you may not see or feel any difference swapping coils. I think the only way you will see a difference is if you go with a ignition amplifier and coil combo. I have used MSD, pertronix and crane and they all work good. usually what makes boxes fail is people install them incorrectly or bad locations. most go with MSD as it is common and easy to attain.

$30 or $40 for a coil is fine but spending more to try to upgrade an already good system is an example of the law of diminishing returns. More and more money spent to get less and less improvement. On a full stock motor any ignition 'improvement' is more in the realm of 'I just spent over $250 so it's got to be better'.

More voltage is only good if really needed like for higher compression or forced induction where the resistance across the plug gap increases. A system that only needs 20K volts maximum to fire all the plugs gains nothing from a 30K volt coil. Multi spark discharge sounds good right? But who would throw another lit match on a fire that's already burning? Ignition manufacturers know how to market their stuff but I would love to see a dyno chart of their products vs. stock ignition. If there is an improvement it's it's so small it's hard to justify the cost

Edited by datzenmike
$30 or $40 for a coil is fine but spending more to try to upgrade an already good system is an example of the law of diminishing returns. More and more money spent to get less and less improvement. On a full stock motor any ignition 'improvement' is more in the realm of 'I just spent over $250 so it's got to be better'.

More voltage is only good if really needed like for higher compression or forced induction where the resistance across the plug gap increases. A system that only needs 20K volts maximum to fire all the plugs gains nothing from a 30K volt coil. Multi spark discharge sounds good right? But who would throw another lit match on a fire that's already burning? Ignition manufacturers know how to market their stuff but I would love to see a dyno chart of their products vs. stock ignition. If there is an improvement it's it's so small it's hard to justify the cost

x2

Datzenmike is correct. I have not seen major improvements on a dyno for the amount of what it costs for a box and coil on a car that did not need it. usually cars that need a ignition system must be making so much power or cylinder pressure that it wants to blow out the spark like a candle and the only car I have seen want to do that was making almost 450 whp.I would say if you have a electronic ignition and good working system now save your money and time and direct elsewhere. sometimes less is better. Now if you get the stuff on a good deal or free maybe just get it to have or sell it to make some money to someone who really needs it and use that money for something you really need.

what if you got a good deal?:fu:

If you want, sure, but there's nothing to wear out on the Nissan set up. The parts that would need replacing are the wires, cap and rotor. It would be cheaper to replace them, than replace the coil and ignition system... find no improvement... then buy the wires, cap and rotor and that was the problem.

the ignition coil on the 80 is OLD, and the posts are stripped so bad, i had to stack washers on it to get to some good threads.

does it work? yes. is my engine boosted or high HP or compression? no. will it be someday? yes.

so, i figure since I need a new coil anyway, i might as well get something I will use later when I either build the motor for a turbo or start slapping parts on it.

i wont be doing a full ignition set up or anything, just the coil...i figure a bit hotter spark wouldn't be a bad thing, and since it isn't much more money to go with a aftermarket coil than the stock, i figure why not?

Guest DatsuNoob

I've had good luck with the accel supercoils. Seemed to make for smoother acceleration, and improve throttle response on my L20b. Zuum510's 240Z was running rough, and pretty rich too. He slapped on my old accel coil, and it ran WAY better, smoother, and less gassy which lead me to believe it really helped to burn more of his unspent fuel. I'm sure they're all good, I just have had good results using accel.