BLUE BIRDS in the STATES

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

would anyone know how many blue birds came over from Japan that are here in the states and know if there on the road currently. Just curious

Nissan USA should have that info, but since they moved to Tennessee they have lost their soul and probably would blow off such an inquiry. If you want to try, you would probably have to tell them explicitly which Blue Birds you are talking about. 200 and 300 sedan series, 410, 411, early first generation 510. etc. They probably wouldn't know a Blue Bird if one ran over them.

thank you for the help. I was curious because you see more 510s then the blue bird and the reason being its because the 510 was sold here locally and the bird was in Japan so that makes it a bit more desirable still. I wonder if there have been more in the shows or more dimes. Either way its a beautiful car.

OK, I have 1971 sales figure for the model 510 Bluebirds.

In the USA, 1971:

* 510 AT 4-dr: 13,159

* 510 MT 4-dr: 24,326

* 510 AT Van: 12,734

* 510 MT Van: 29,920

* 510 AT 2-dr: 8,260

* 510 MT 2-dr: 16,624

Thus making the Wagon (Van) the most popular body style. At least for 1971. Unfortunately I don't have other year's figures.

When the 1968 510s were imported into the USA they were equipped with the JDM "Bluebird" badging against Mr K's wishes. He had a simple solution. He had "510" badges made, met the cars as they were offloaded in LA Harbor and switched the badging. Somewhere in Southern California [a landfill?] is a 55 galon drum full of "Bluebird" badges.

Yeh, technically the only Bluebirds that made it over here new from Nissan were the early cars, like the 312. Remember too that overseas "Bluebird" references a lot more cars than just the 68-73 510, Nissan used that moniker on a LOT of cars. The name is still used to this day. They got in trouble using the name because of the school bus company who was already using the name Bluebird.