D21 spindles made my camber worse

MudThug

I just did the D21 spindle and brake swap and my camber is worse. I got spindles calipers and hubs off a 92 v6 and did upper and lower balljoints at the same time. When I got done it looks like my camber is worse and driving down the road my inner wheel weight is hitting the upper control arm.

Any suggestions? How do I fix my camber issue?

Edited by MudThug
  • Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I searched for "Hardbody spindle swap" and got this:

RE: http://forum.ratsun.net/showthread.php?t=15594&highlight=Hardbody+spindle+swap

They WILL work, you have to use the matching A-arms also though. Basically all the front 720/HB susp components

except, that there is a difference in the caliper mounting between the 720 and the hb. So make sure you get matching parts depending on what spindles you get...i.e. hb spindle; hb rotors, calipers, hubs, etc.

They won't mix and match very well.

THE SEARCH FUNCTION IS YOUR FIEND :D

I did a bit of searching before I did the swap, but I missed the matching a-arm part:D

So all I should need is the upper a-arm from the donor truck and the lower arm will stay 79?

I did use my stock 79 hubs so that my stock rims would fit, but that wouldn't affect camber.

Maybe im just not searching for the right thing then:confused:

So if I need the upper and lower control arms, then will the 620 balljoints that I bought work on the HB arms?

Thanks for your help guys. Ill figure this out sooner or later:rolleyes:

just wondering, but i have a 75 with 79 lower arms, and beebanis upper custom arms. i run hb spindles, calipers etc. my setup has perfect camber. if you got beebanis upper arms, you should be fine. lets just check and see, what does everyone else think.

The Beebani arms are for converting a drum truck to disc. This 79 truck has different frame geometry than the 77 and older that the arm was designed for. Bee--please correct me if i am mistaken about your arms.

Does this camber problem seem to be on both sides or just one side?

Did you crank the torsion bars down at the same time?

Jason, you're right; the '78-up have the angled upper arm mounts. The thing I'm not sure of is if the 620 ball joint trucks had the wider track width like the 720's and hb's do. If not, then he would need to get upper and lower control arms from either one of those trucks to make everything even.

Maybe im just not searching for the right thing then:confused:

So if I need the upper and lower control arms, then will the 620 balljoints that I bought work on the HB arms?

Thanks for your help guys. Ill figure this out sooner or later:rolleyes:

You dont want the hardbody arms, They are not correct for a 79 truck, you need to stick with the 79 arms, they should be correct. And just for knowledge, the 620 lower ball joints will not fit the hb arms, but the uppers will.

I have a feeling that using your stock hubs on the HB spindles created a track width difference that is part of your wheel weight rubbing. Meaning that the HB hub and 79 620 hub have different offsets, Maybe something to look at.

I also dont know of anybody running 14" wheels with the HB brakes, but nissan did it from the factory, so it should not be a problem.

yello620- I dropped the truck 3in a few weeks ago and didn't notice the camber being off to far, but without getting a measurement I can't be positive of the amount of change since the HB spindles.

So If I am running the correct arms then how do I solve my camber issue, or is that just the nature of a lowered truck:cool:

Im new to the lowered trucks, I've allways built them up not down hehe

So the hub difference between the 79 spindles and HB is why my wheel weight is rubbing and everyone is going out and having there HB hubs turned down to the correct inner wheel dia.?

Thanks for your help guys. Im going to check out the hubs more closely. I just looked and saw that the wheel bearings were the same and assumed that they would be the same. Ill throw the HB hubs on my lathe and make them fit:D

]2eDeYe - Im running stock 14in rims so the hubcentric on the HB hubs is too big. That's why I'm running the stock hubs. I actually had the HB hubs on the first time and took them off because my stockers didn't fit.

I think im going to replace the tirods before having it aligned. Should I remove the shims before the alignment or will they do that?

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, I just figured out my problem.

The spindles did cause the problem. The drivers side spindle was bent!!:( I took it in to be aligned just to be sure and they agreed that the spindle was bent. Just put a different one on and it's great.

I did some measuring on the hubs with my tape measure and my micrometer eye ball :) and the hubs looked the same to me. The only difference is the seal off the d21 doesn't really fit the 620 hub correctly, but close enough for me.

Thanks again for the help.