520/521

oneslick720

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The most obvious difference is the front turn signals. On a 520, they sort of "wrap" the front corners. The whole front end is more rounded, and narrower-looking, on the 520. The 521 is squarer and wider looking (though in reality they're the same width). The 521 hood is much wider but the fenders have less top surface.

The "facelift" from the 520 to the 521 made the truck look more like the contemporary Bluebird (the 520 looked like a 410, whereas the 521 looked closer to a 510).

ggzilla, no such thing as a PL520. They were all L520, here in the US, as the "J" 1300 was the base (and only) engine. A '68-69 521 is likewise a L521, also using the base "J" 1300 engine. When the switch was made to the L16 for the 1970 model year, the trucks became PL521s.

Edited by datsunaholic

wow they are really close.... to an untrained eye like mine i wouldnt have noticed...

i am a truck enthusiast been building custom trucks since i was old enough to drive but just recently got my first datsun back in june now i have 2 720s (traded my bagged and bodied small blosk s10) and my newly acuired 521 ha they are kind of adictive(traded my 64 ford project for)

ggzilla, no such thing as a PL520. They were all L520, here in the US, as the "J" 1300 was the base (and only) engine. A '68-69 521 is likewise a L521, also using the base "J" 1300 engine. When the switch was made to the L16 for the 1970 model year, the trucks became PL521s.

Only the L521 Oct. '68 to June '69 had the round reflector. From July '69 ('70 model) the PL521 had the rectangle side light.

so now im confused. the badge inside the door says '69 PL521 but i dont remember the month right now and its badged 1600 but i have the round reflectors....:confused: and there's some other wierd stuff goin on that i actually have another thread about in the exterior section....

and the bed?:confused: i really couldnt tell ya, but heres the weirder thing.... both are only on the passenger side----no reflectors on the drivers side:confused: and like i said, i really dont know but i honestly doubt there was any attempt to do any custom work on this truck considering where it was sitting and how long it had been sitting there. just to clarify- i mean there's not even holes where the reflectors should be:confused:

and the bed?:confused: i really couldnt tell ya, but heres the weirder thing.... both are only on the passenger side----no reflectors on the drivers side:confused: and like i said, i really dont know but i honestly doubt there was any attempt to do any custom work on this truck considering where it was sitting and how long it had been sitting there. just to clarify- i mean there's not even holes where the reflectors should be:confused:

When you ordered fenders from the dealer, the replacement units were not drilled for the reflectors so that the warehouse only had to stock one part number, drill / cut your own opening, or not to create a "custom" look.