can't make up my mind

Widebody Roadster  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Widebody Roadster

• You crazy? no!
    • It will be awesome, do it!

Maybe you guys can help me out here...

My roadster is pretty much what most in the roadster community would consider a parts car.. Thing is being stuck in the middle of the US makes these cars hard to obtain and a bit pricey for rust free examples..

I've been in debate on just going crazy with the car since it needs a bit of work and doing a full widebody adding 3 inches of width to both sides of the car... or going back to 100% stock as I've obtained all the parts to restore the car to showroom...

One thing I do know on it is that it will contain a supercharged R16, and will be honest to goodness oldschool pushrod power under the hood.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It depends how it's done. Just about any car properly and tastefully wide bodied is hot lol. There are those half barrels, boxed, extensions, Backless extensions, bubble etc... Some would look great and some would look like shit.

This is what I'm thinking of sorta

IMG_4346copy.jpg?t=1255138291

Personally I don't like the bubble look... I was going to extend the fenders 3 inches and cut the rear section down the middle extending it... Also creating a vent system for the brakes and for the air to water intercooler system I plan on installing.

Just checking to see how it would look somewhat...

2.jpg?t=1255138134

4.jpg?t=1255138202

Ya I call that open back extension. Idk, thats a iffy one but I think it could work on the spl311. I would buddy up with a photo shop savvy person and try these out on screen before you start cutting and welding.

Maybe you guys can help me out here...

My roadster is pretty much what most in the roadster community would consider a parts car.. Thing is being stuck in the middle of the US makes these cars hard to obtain and a bit pricey for rust free examples..

Smith & Sons Salvage in Temple, Oklahoma (between Walters and Lawton) has had one setting in their yard, untouched, since at least 1997 :).

Smith & Sons Salvage in Temple, Oklahoma (between Walters and Lawton) has had one setting in their yard, untouched, since at least 1997 :).

Is still there? I know my roadster came from a body shop in lawton.. Still have the pinkslip for it too. If it was red, I might have been the lucky winner of it. lol I've seen a few around but they wanted 1k+ for what I paid 400 bucks for.

I'm personally very picky about my body kits. I feel that 99% of things done to a car make it look ugly, then again I personally love cars that look 100% stock and will still run like a scalded cat.

So my opinion is most likely worthless here...

I'm personally very picky about my body kits. I feel that 99% of things done to a car make it look ugly, then again I personally love cars that look 100% stock and will still run like a scalded cat.

So my opinion is most likely worthless here...

I felt that way when I got the car.. but after getting into the body work I kinda became impartial as noone really modifies the roadsters unless its for racing only overall..

I felt that way when I got the car.. but after getting into the body work I kinda became impartial as noone really modifies the roadsters unless its for racing only overall..

As far as body work ya that's true, people mod the hell out of the suspension brakes and engine though. The reason there are less then says 510's or z's as its an all fab project, there is little to no after market support.

Body wise it's not done for a good reason, the roadster looks pretty damn good the way it is.

Wanting more then this is almost greedy lol.

1969_Datsun_1600_Fairlady_Roadster_Rear_1.jpg

That is my thought Foxy. There are a ton of roadsters out there and I haven't really seen anyone really push the boundries. Have fun with it! Just make sure it doesn't look cobbled together!

extend.jpg?t=1255228854

I'm not very good at photoshop so I just used MS paint to draw lines where I'm extending the fenders 3 inches.. I think it might be interesting, but lol

As for the rear sections http://www.mildevco.net/chevypowereddatsuns/sclicin_n_dicin.htm except I'll be starting at door jam and having an area for airflow to the brakes and a water to air intercooler to get a direct flow of air to a small radiator on both sides.

Edited by FoxyRoadster
included a link

If you're asking for opinions, I'd say, if you've got a good picture of it in your mind and/or photoshop, go for it. I see lots of roadsters at shows, and they all look bone stock(don't get me wrong, they're seeeexy), but I have yet to see someone who actually got the gonads to get really creative on how they look. Wider would be sweet, just don't get too crazy. I'd like to see a fatter bodied one w/ the right wheel/suspension setup. Good luck.:thumbup: