Windshield q's

shane_lxi

My good 521 has no windshield :(. Found a few different sources for used windshields at pretty decent prices.

- I was wondering how tough it is to put these in. My buddy told me it was something to do with a rope?! All the installs I've done havent had anything even remotely to do with a rope...

- And whether or not I can use a pre-used seal (new ones are like $100 at datsun-restore).

Anyway, just curious. Couldnt find anything at nwde either :(.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My good 521 has no windshield :(. Found a few different sources for used windshields at pretty decent prices.

- I was wondering how tough it is to put these in. My buddy told me it was something to do with a rope?! All the installs I've done havent had anything even remotely to do with a rope...

- And whether or not I can use a pre-used seal (new ones are like $100 at datsun-restore).

Anyway, just curious. Couldnt find anything at nwde either :(.

Well I know I can still buy windshields for my 73 620 thru Speedy Auto Glass. I paid $135 for a brand new windshield. Also put in a new seal. The rope or rather chord is for putting in the groove of a seal once the seal is around the windshield to ease it onto the lip of the windshield opening. Look around on the different websites.. They'll show you how to do this. Pretty easy. :D

big difference in availability between the 620 and 521.

Dave C. put the one in the NL for me. Went pretty easy with the new gasket. I tried to do the back window on Paula's 521 and it was a nightmare...but it was an old gasket and not near flexible enough. We used liquid dish soap as a lube. It evaporates pretty quickly, but you can reapply it as you go. I'd stay away from the silicone if you plan on painting anytime soon.

Thanks for the info :D. And, btw kiznook, the clean windshield Ted had came out of the truck I am currently working on, lol. He does have more though, and there is one locally. New ones cost an excess of $350 down here where I am at!!!

Lube shouldnt be a big deal. I can use the tire lube from work if I have to, or there is also the 50gallon drum of K-Y I keep in the bedroom if I run out of tire lube.

I'm glad We're on this subject as I will shortly be trying to install a windshield and a chopped rear window in Choptana. Now on both of those, I have had to make resized gaskets, which are seeming to be working out. But I've never had much luck with an older gasket using the "rope" method. What really works is a teflon instillation tool that I picked up years ago at a swapmeet. It looks like a stick that tapers to the center but made of either teflon or nylon. That was REALLY HELPFUL when I installed the headliner and windows in Funtana. But a question that I have (old wive's tale) is about a trick I was told long ago about letting a gasket sit for a day or so soaking in transmission fluid. Anyone ever hear of this trick? NOT oil or Armourall but genuine ATF. Input on this?????

Never heard of the ATF deal.

When I used to work in a bodyshop, we used the rope, a stylus (the plastic stick thing), and dish soap.

This is a two person job.

We would put the seal on the windshield, spray the diluted dish soap into the seal groove, then put the rope in with the ends at the bottom center of the windshield.

Center the windshield on the truck, then place the bottom groove of the seal onto the frame with the rope to the inside of the cab. With the other person applying pressure to the outside of the windshield, SLOWLY start to pull out the rope a little bit on each side. Use the stylus to help the seal roll over the frame in difficult areas, usually the corners, or use it along with the rope if needed.

Sometimes it may be neccessary to slap the windshield in a downward motion to get the seal to seat properly while the rope is being pulled.

Patrick

Hang...If a guy wants to drive the truck for awhile, but has a trashed window, he will be looking to drop a new one in for a bit until it's time for paint.....then pull it back out. If you're working with a new gasket, you can easily put it in and out. You can also pull the gasket up, put 1/4" rope under it to hold it up, tape it off, then when you paint, the paint goes under the rubber gasket edge without having to remove the window. Once it dries, remove the masking, pull the rope....looks like the window was removed for the paint job. You don't risk messing up new paint putting the window in after-the-fact either. Anyway.....

Haven't heard of the ATF. I've heard of boiling and soaking in antifreeze.

ATF is a highly refined mineral oil with high amounts of detergent. Rubber is adversely affected by petroleum products and will swell or dissolve. I think this has merit and is worth a try. Make sure that the rubber surface is uniformly clean for even penetration of the solvents. I would soak for an hour and inspect every hour after. No idea how long this will take, over night or a few days, maybe check every 12 hours until soft but NOT swollen. And keep a spare handy LOL!!!

The reason I wanted to use the old gasket is because the windshield I have has a crack and some pitting. I just wanted to put it in temporarily until I can get away with spending more money with my girlfriend noticing, lol. When I get a good windshield, I will get a new gasket. But if you are saying a new gasket is easily removed and installed then I might just buy a new one right now and save myself the headache :P, lol.

And you need to get your ass over here Pat! I want to see that galaxie on the road by next weekend!!