Don't let me screw this up

DRIVEN

Here's the victim:

001-11.jpg

Rather than posting in the suspension section, I thought I would go directly to the target audience. As you can see stance is an issue. The rear has 2" blocks and I like the way it looks but haven't driven it enough to know if clearance is a problem. The front is what I'm concerned with. I don't even know for sure that these are even 510 struts/springs. It sits about 2" higher (measured from the spindle up to the fender lip) than my other wagon. They both have L-motors and 4-speeds. After hours of searching here and on the realm, this is what I plan to do:

-280zx struts/brakes

-1990ish MR2 rear strut inserts

-cheap eBay coilover kit

-RCAs

-braided hoses

-15/16" 280zx master

Here are my questions:

-Which is better - RCAs? or relocating the LCA mount points on the crossmember?

-Do the Z32 and 240sx share the same 2" strut tube diameter as the 280zx? (These are some eBay options)

-Will my 13" wheels fit over the 280zx brakes?

Keep in mind that this won't be a track-car. If anyone has ANY input or suggestions please set me straight before I screw this up.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

if you can get MR2 inserts for a good price go that way. as for coil overs be careful as sometimes you do get what you pay for. at least find out what coil rates they are using. as for the the control arms if that is what you are talking about I would not move them but get bump steer spacers.

as for if the 13" wheels will fit not sure as some wheels do and some don't over zx brakes. the only 13's I know would be panasports or some jdm wheels depends on offset. I would consider moving up to 14" as tire choices are more abundant but then again a good looking set of 13's are nice at times. you should consider changing all the bushings and suspension items like ball joints and tie rods and for sure get alignment

good luck

if you can get MR2 inserts for a good price go that way. as for coil overs be careful as sometimes you do get what you pay for. at least find out what coil rates they are using. as for the the control arms if that is what you are talking about I would not move them but get bump steer spacers.

as for if the 13" wheels will fit not sure as some wheels do and some don't over zx brakes. the only 13's I know would be panasports or some jdm wheels depends on offset. I would consider moving up to 14" as tire choices are more abundant but then again a good looking set of 13's are nice at times. you should consider changing all the bushings and suspension items like ball joints and tie rods and for sure get alignment

good luck

i dont believe 13's will clear at all. no matter how much offset you have

going on personal experience, fitting 13" rims over the 280zx brakes is not very easy, but i have heard that it can be done. the ID of the rim is not the problem and i think you only need 11.5 inches of ID on the rim (going from memory). the brake caliper interferes with the back of the vertical face of the rim and prevents the wheel from sitting flush on the hub. i had minilites that were very close - i had to grind .150 - 200" off the front corner of the caliper to get the wheels on. i didn't feel the risk was worth it and i went to 14's.

re:ebay coil-overs. be careful as the springs are junk. they will collapse. probably easiest to go to a circle-track supply place like Coleman racing. The circle track guys change shocks/springs every race and Coleman (there are others i'm sure, Bicknell Racing if your north of the border) sells the threaded sleaves and stuff for pretty cheap.

re: 280zx master cylinder - it works with 2 mods. 1) trim the little overhanging lip on the firewall above the m/c as it interferes with the m/c reservoir. 2) adapt the 510 pushrod and clevice to work with the 280zx m/c. The 510 pushrod is captive and the 280zx is not - so it takes a little work, but it works great in the end.

Edited by RoadRace
grammar, added text

...subscribed! :)

The new wgn is a WAAAAAAY better one to fix up!! :) As for the rims.....you know you want to switch to 5 lug!! ......if only cause you feel bad that I still have the struts sitting in my shed!!! :)

geez....just seeing another wgn project makes me want to get off the computer and go work on mine......................give me a min......I'm sure it will pass! :)

Put a heavier KA or VG in there.... that'll bring the front down. It may already have uncut zx struts in there.

There is a heavier engine swap planned but probably not till next winter. I was hoping that it did have zx struts in it but the calipers look more like a 510 to me.

041.jpg

The Nissan # on the strut housing is 54302 UO551. I guess I'll have to dig out the zx struts and compare them. Then I can test fit the wheels too. If they don't fit does anyone know if the steel roadster wheels (14's?) will fit. I like the look of the steelies with the small caps.

Thanks for the heads-up on the eBay coilovers. I'm a slow learner so it probably won't deter me. Suggestions on spring rates for the L-motor setup?

re: 280zx master cylinder - it works with 2 mods. 1) trim the little overhanging lip on the firewall above the m/c as it interferes with the m/c reservoir. 2) adapt the 510 pushrod and clevice to work with the 280zx m/c. The 510 pushrod is captive and the 280zx is not - so it takes a little work, but it works great in the end.

That's what I did for the disc conversion on my brother's 521. Are there other m/c alternatives that make more sense?

BTW, I just glanced at your fleet info. The clue to my top secret engine swap is there!:thumbup:

Guys, I appreciate all the guidance here. I'm completely green when it comes to 510s so please excuse any stupid questions. I HAVE been doing a lot of research but there is tons of conflicting info out there and I just want to get this right. This is gonna be my wife's driver. She keeps saying she is going to join Ratsun but I'm not sure why. I'm doing the work. How many different times can she say "I picked the color"?:lol: