Datsun newb, school me please

DATSTON

Hey Datsuners,

Completely new to the Datsun scene, i've been lruking around the old VW scene for a few years now. I'm currently interested in getting myself into a Datsun and had a few questions I was hoping you guys could help me with.

I came across this Datsun a few days back and I am completely clueless as to what it is and what has been done to it. I've looked thru the Datsun Truck galleries and to me it seems like a 620 modified to a great extent.

I was hoping you guys could tell me what model this truck is and what has been done to it. If it is in fact a 620, then it seems like it may have a different front end and the body lines along the sides has been shaved? Like I've mentioned before, I'm completely new to Datsuns. Any information that may help me would be greatly appreciated. I need to know what I'm getting myself into lol.

084sc9.jpg

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

not to hard

some body parts are still available online, fenders doors etc. Ebay, craigs list and the best place here on ratsun. you can still find good cabs, beds etc if you look around depending on your location. engine/brake parts are still available etc. just depends on your determination and skill :D

not to hard

some body parts are still available online, fenders doors etc. Ebay, craigs list and the best place here on ratsun. you can still find good cabs, beds etc if you look around depending on your location. engine/brake parts are still available etc. just depends on your determination and skill :D

Awesome, are there any differences between the earlier models and the older models? I want to get my hands on a pre-75 to avoid any emission laws. However, theres a decent looking 76 on craigslist for sale.

there are a few changes

i think the front core is different, the radiator, maybe a few other small differences. Wiring harness a little bit.

Cant remember all the differences, i don't own a 620. but most parts are interchangeable. doors, fenders, motors, trans, axles, brakes etc etc. 78-79 were disc brakes up in the front. theres a how to on converting older ones to disc brakes. Beebani makes an affordable disc brake conversion for the older ones.

Im sure if im wrong on any of that a 620 expert will correct me :lol:

OH NO! not another VW guy... I swear they're all jumping over to datsuns.

Don't blame you, welcome, you'll like it here :D

620's are around, they pop up all over in junk yards and you can usually get rubber from JC Whitney. The 620 is also nick named the "bullet side" They are very popular with the mini truck dudes so aftermarket parts should be easier to find. These trucks are like rabbits but are easier to work on, way less german engineering.

were you on Vortex too? :cool:

If you like the ute, there is another similar vehicle available. It's pre-620 by quite a bit, but it's still got a major cool factor. I believe these were available from '63 - '65, and they do come up for sale on ratsun. Here's a couple of photos...

PHTO0003.jpg

DSC03000.jpg

I have a '73 620.

I'm 6'2" and about 265 lbs (I wish I could say it were all muscle, but it just ain't so) and the DPO (dreaded previous owner [tm] ) slapped some clapped out bucket seats out of some random japanese sedan into the cab, and they sit very low. My legs barely fit, but have a lot of headroom.

Fixing the seats are pretty high on my list of things to do. ;)

Regarding overall size, they're pretty small -- they're much narrower than a current full-size auto such as a Camry, and they might even be narrower than a small car such as a Civic.

I'm pretty sure the 620 had short and long bed options, with the long bed being a bit harder to find.

I have a '73 620.

I'm 6'2" and about 265 lbs (I wish I could say it were all muscle, but it just ain't so) and the DPO (dreaded previous owner [tm] ) slapped some clapped out bucket seats out of some random japanese sedan into the cab, and they sit very low. My legs barely fit, but have a lot of headroom.

Regarding overall size, they're pretty small -- they're much narrower than a current full-size auto such as a Camry, and they might even be narrower than a small car such as a Civic.

I'm pretty sure the 620 had short and long bed options, with the long bed being a bit harder to find.

Awesome, thanks for the info Al. As for the 620 and 521 comparison in size, i wanted to see which one was actually smaller and lighter? I have high intents of building a lightweight mini truck with a decent motor in it.

absolutely no reseaerch to back this up:p, but just by lookin them i would really have to guess the 521 to be lighter. i havent sat in a 620 but they definitely LOOK roomier;) im also about 6'1" 265lb and im kinda squeezed in a stock 521

I have a '73 620.

ill take those seats off your hands. i need the headroom for a bodydrop in the distant future:D and i can deal with the leg room