620 brakes

rollinlow

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...

Remove the rubber plug in the bottom of the backing plate and back the adjuster off to retract the shoes. Usually a few good smacks with a 2-3 lb. hammer on the front outer edge will rock them loose. Try heating them. There are also two threaded holes across from each other that 12mm bolts will fit into. Thread them in and tighten. They bottom against the axle and will pull the drum outward as they are tightened. Use common sense here so that you don't over tighten and strip the threads.

I had the same problems getting the drums off the first time I replaced the shoes. The "jack bolt" holes were stripped out on mine by the PO. I backed off all the way on the adjusters, sprayed them down with Kroil oil, and beat on them with no luck. I found a bottom tap, I think it was a 5/16 or 3/8 NF (national fine) and with a tap handle and the bottom tap and using the stripped out holes, I tapped; new fine threads through the drum until it bottomed out on the axel. I backed the tap out and presto, I had a new "jack bolt" threaded hole. I just had to round up two bolts that would fit and in just a minute, I had the drums off! RATSUN ENGINEERING!!!

• 2 weeks later...

I have the same problem with my 620. but,there's NO bolt holes! My new drums have them,but the ones on the truck don't.I've been spraying them with Liquid Wrench,and hitting them with a hammer. Don't have a torch,may have to borrow one. The adjuster doesn't want to move very well,so I've sprayed it too.I don't want to break anything.

Pharouh, You may have to soak those adjusters (spray them with penetrating oil) several times and let them soak for a few days and try again to back them off all the way. That will release the shoes from binding against the inside of the drums. If you can't get the drums off after the shoes are backed off, then you may have to drill and tap some jackbolt holes in the old drums. Try to get a good quality fine thread tap, 3/8" NF would be great. You can drill a 5/16 hole thru the old drums in the same location as the new drums are drilled and tapped. Be careful to drill only thru the drum and do not continue to drill into the axel. After your your 5/16 hole is drilled, start with a plug tap and get the threads started and then finish tapping thru with a bottom tap. That should get you a threaded hole all the way thru the drum. Then find a good 3/8 NF bolt and use as a jackbolt. Hope this helps.

thanks 650savag!

I'll keep working on them. Drilling the holes would be a last resort ( I hope). Strange that they don't have them. Replacements maybe?

I've got new shoes,drums,hardware and new master cylinder to go on. PO said the brakes have been bad for a long time. Great.... The shoes have probably dug into the drums.

By the looks of the marks on that drum, you must be using some kind of waffle headed framing hammer? That is not anywhere near big enough to do any good on stuck drums. You need a 3lbs sledge hammer, and dont swing it like a girl. Hit the drum on the outermost edge, right where it rounds back to cover the shoes. Get the right hammer and hit it like you mean it, those drums will be off of there in about four swings.

Wow you're good. That was a framing hammer.I worked on it again tonight and I finally got it. You're right,I wasn't hitting it hard enough. I just didn't want to break anything. Now I know...Thanks for all the advice everybody! Of course the star wheel is frozen.

brake.jpg