My new toy "The Beast" 73 k5 blazer

Went out wheelin today, Rachel came with me. We Met a guy out there with and 82 truck lifted on 35's. He had a tow strap with him so we decided to get down to business since we could pull one another out if it got to crazy.

Lotta mud holes out and rocks and the like. He got his diffs stuck up on a rock pile and i had to pull him off but we were sailin through the mud. He got a hole in his upper radiator hose so we had to ghetto rig that back together. Went and pulled out a stock 93ish jeep cherokee that we saw come in and go to the back of the area. we saw the kids when they came over and asked if we had a tow strap. I grabbed the strap and gave them a ride back and pulled them out. They were wayyyyy stuck.

i didnt have my camera with me like a weener so i just snapped some after shots.

CIMG0695.jpg

CIMG0696.jpg

CIMG0697.jpg

CIMG0698.jpg

CIMG0699.jpg

CIMG0700.jpg

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That sami is awesome!

I would love to 3/4 link my blazer. Ive been trying to read up and look at alot of build threads from people that have done it to get ideas. Its just the cost of coilovers that scares me lol! It looks like you just have coil springs, that seems like a cheaper solution.

I figure with a setup like that i can get down on all sorts of stuff, and even some prerunner type jumping haha.

• 2 weeks later...

Decided to do the homeade shackle flip today. I bought my truck with blocks in the rear and i didnt like it at all. I could feel the axle wrap and wanted it gone.

I was originally gonna go with the diy4x setup. But i figured i would save myself a couple hundred bucks and alot of time and do it myself.

I decided to do the flip to the compression shackle setup with the stock mount. Went in there with the super plasma and torched out the hole and made up some plates for either side for support. I know in the article it says that the person didnt do it, but im sorry that looked shady as hell. Sure mine are way overkill now( but i never have to worry about them)

I took some wet rags and draped em over my gas tank and then put a peice of sheetmetal there and did it with it all on my truck. It was a fairly easy job, took about 4 hours by myself( in a well equipped shop)

left my camera at home but here are some cell phone pics. I made sure to take a pic of how big I made the hole since the original write up on ck5.com didnt show that.

IMG00150-20091107-0925.jpg

IMG00151-20091107-0950.jpg

IMG00153-20091107-1028.jpg

IMG00158-20091107-1108.jpg

IMG00160-20091107-1108.jpg

IMG00156-20091107-1038.jpg

IMG00162-20091107-1407.jpg

IMG00163-20091107-1410.jpg

oh and i love this welder.. Lincon Power mig 300

IMG00152-20091107-1028.jpg

Cool man, now get yourself another set of 52s swap them in the front, do the ford shock tower stuff and bitch about compression steering :) That shackle flip is about the best bang for your buck.

Is your cage tied into your frame? That would be NICE... should have been factory on the full top rigs...

• 2 weeks later...

So i wanted to change out my front leaf spring bushings since mine were shot. and i do mean shot. Headed out to pick and pull and found a blazer with poly ones! score! so i pulled em out.

Not in too bad of shape for coming from the junkyard

CIMG0708.jpg

CIMG0709.jpg

I took some pics to show how tore up mine were.

Driver side Rear

CIMG0704.jpg

Driver side front

CIMG0705.jpg

Passenger side rear

CIMG0707.jpg

Passenger side front

CIMG0706.jpg

And here are some of the bushings (or what was left)

from rear

CIMG0710.jpg

From front. Notice the inner sleave is somhow totally dominated.

CIMG0711.jpg

It didnt take too long to get them all changed out. I went crazy with the Marine grease. Put it everywere and very liberally. Here is the finished result.

CIMG0714.jpg

CIMG0713.jpg

Truck used to make this nasty cracking popping noise when i turned and now it is gone. It also turns a whole lot better. And the axle cant move to one side or the other whenever it wants. I cant belive how bad they were and that i was driving on it!

Cool man, now get yourself another set of 52s swap them in the front, do the ford shock tower stuff and bitch about compression steering :) That shackle flip is about the best bang for your buck.

Is your cage tied into your frame? That would be NICE... should have been factory on the full top rigs...

I plan on tying the cage to the frame here soon. Im gonna go with a plate bolted to the bottom of the body were it attaches to the cage, and then some box tubing to a plate bolted to my frame so it is still all removeable.

I want to do 52's bad.... but the cost of crossover is killin me. 400ish bucks and i need to get a 2wd box.... then cost of new shocks. But it would make a world of difference over my 4 inch lift springs

look for shocks off of a newer (late 90s and up) F250/350 4x4, do the ford shock tower relocation, 2wd steering box should be able to be found in a yard, dont worry if it leaks, new seals are cheap and easy to replace and available at napa, just make sure its all tight. For the drop steering arm find a stock YJ, TJ or XJ jeep steering arm (I forget which one, just look for a 3-4" drop) it bolts right onto the chev box and theyre super common in the yards (at least up here).

On the box, try and find an older one, I think it was 79/80 when they changed the hose fittings... I got a newer one and had a bitch of a time piecing it all together... when it was all said and done I could have bought a PSC box already tapped for hydro assist for the price of all the junkyard shit and new hoses... Alaska had a sweet deal where the yards crushed everything 78 and older to keep the old rigs off the road...

Buy a good steering arm... doesnt have to be ORD but a bunch of the ebay ones are shite though... if you can find one to copy/measure the angles and have one made at a machine shop it would be cheaper... youd need to have your pass side knuckle drilled and tapped and machined flat (you want a perfect fit with no gasket...) work out the cross bar (drawing a blank right now on the name... durr...) youre going to need a bend in it to clear the crossmember... ORDs fits nice but you could make one or have one made cheaper. I havent checked into the prices in a while and I just sold my GMC with all the cool shit otherwise Id show you some pics for the dos and donts... If you dont know anybody with the tubing bender and taps for the rod ends youd just about break even on buying a kit as opposed to DIY... unless you know someone who would go in on the tools with you.

look for shocks off of a newer (late 90s and up) F250/350 4x4, do the ford shock tower relocation, 2wd steering box should be able to be found in a yard, dont worry if it leaks, new seals are cheap and easy to replace and available at napa, just make sure its all tight. For the drop steering arm find a stock YJ, TJ or XJ jeep steering arm (I forget which one, just look for a 3-4" drop) it bolts right onto the chev box and theyre super common in the yards (at least up here).

On the box, try and find an older one, I think it was 79/80 when they changed the hose fittings... I got a newer one and had a bitch of a time piecing it all together... when it was all said and done I could have bought a PSC box already tapped for hydro assist for the price of all the junkyard shit and new hoses... Alaska had a sweet deal where the yards crushed everything 78 and older to keep the old rigs off the road...

Buy a good steering arm... doesnt have to be ORD but a bunch of the ebay ones are shite though... if you can find one to copy/measure the angles and have one made at a machine shop it would be cheaper... youd need to have your pass side knuckle drilled and tapped and machined flat (you want a perfect fit with no gasket...) work out the cross bar (drawing a blank right now on the name... durr...) youre going to need a bend in it to clear the crossmember... ORDs fits nice but you could make one or have one made cheaper. I havent checked into the prices in a while and I just sold my GMC with all the cool shit otherwise Id show you some pics for the dos and donts... If you dont know anybody with the tubing bender and taps for the rod ends youd just about break even on buying a kit as opposed to DIY... unless you know someone who would go in on the tools with you.

The more i think about x over the more i think i want to grab a d60 and do it to that instead. It just seems like the logical thing. Sure a d60 might be overkill for 35's or 37's whatever i decide to run but its gonna be bulletproof. I am at least gonna go 14b rear, and it would be nice to have the FF rear and d60 that are the same width, and both 8 lug instead of having to convert my d44 to 8, or grab a 14b sf that is 6 lug... but then deal with the wider track.

Does that seem logical? Either way im gonna have to address driveline.. And i hate to get a crossover setup on my d44 to end up breaking it and having to go up to a d60 and have the wasted money. I have access to a full shop, but i hear you need special taps for the tierods for the drag link. I also heard that you can use a tube for the draglink and weld the ends of the stock link in to avoid this.

And yello620 i will definatly let you know, as soon as i figure out what the heck im gonna do.

im not into the 4x4 stuff but i do know a few things 8 lug= limited wheel selection and as you go up you want to go wider as well so out of the options you listed i would go with the one that allows for 6 lug and as wide as possible

im not into the 4x4 stuff but i do know a few things 8 lug= limited wheel selection and as you go up you want to go wider as well so out of the options you listed i would go with the one that allows for 6 lug and as wide as possible

True but most people dont run wider than a 10 inch wheel... that is with a 14.5 inch tire. Most people it seems run 8's with there 12.5-13.5 wide tires. You dont want a big ole wheel sticking out to get smashed on rocks.

Got a Hi Lift jack for an early christmas present. (Thanks Rachel!) Got the all black 60".

CIMG0715.jpg

CIMG0716.jpg

Fabbed up some brackets since i wanted it in the back of my bed on the sides, and out of the way. Think it came out pretty good. Now i can change tires lol.

CIMG0717.jpg

CIMG0718.jpg

CIMG0719.jpg

Also picked up a sweet ammo box for Free and slapped some green on it. Gonna mount it on the other side to keep tow strap in.

CIMG0720.jpg

Chris, looks good!

I haven't talked to you in a long time. How are things? We gotta kick it after turkey day!

I'm gonna be busy this week/end, but I'm moving in next month, so we'll be closer! See ya soon, budday!

Yeah i havnt seen you in a coons age!

Same ole stuff here. Lotta work because of lame holiday

Ditttttooo!! I finally installed MR2 Illumina's in a short set of 280zx struts. Rides way better and doesn't bottom out. Ride height will be tucking flare-to-wheel. Exhaust needs to be re-worked, because it sits at like 1" off the ground at that height. FML.

How's wifey? We should go out to that off road thing next week, if the weather's classy.

• 2 weeks later...
True but most people dont run wider than a 10 inch wheel... that is with a 14.5 inch tire. Most people it seems run 8's with there 12.5-13.5 wide tires. You dont want a big ole wheel sticking out to get smashed on rocks.

just saw this i didnt mean wider tire i ment wider axle for more stability as you raise the truck

Dood, your awesome, I have been thinking of the best way to mount my HL and you jsut did it for me. Im totally steeling this idea from you, hope you dont mind.

CIMG0718.jpg

Some guys from Club frontier go to prarie city pretty often, once i get my new tires we should head out together. I drive a 03 supercharged Frontier 4x4.

Dood, your awesome, I have been thinking of the best way to mount my HL and you jsut did it for me. Im totally steeling this idea from you, hope you dont mind.

CIMG0718.jpg

Some guys from Club frontier go to prarie city pretty often, once i get my new tires we should head out together. I drive a 03 supercharged Frontier 4x4.

Haha no problem. I think it came out awesome.

Yeah im always looking for more people to wheel with. Got a small group meeting up there this sat at 10. Bunch of Fullsize rigs.

I try and head out a least once every couple weeks. Im trying to find some new areas, but with the snow it kindof narrows it down