REAR SPRING , Ground-control crazy?

71ka510

So, i have been talking to Don Feen over at ground-control.

I do not have the funds for thier rear coil overs at the moment.. so i asked if he could suggest a rear spring according to my cars current set up...

So, here is my set up....

4-door 510

ka24e swap

280zx front struts, on 15" wheels.... lowered low enough that i am tucking a lil bit of tire 350# spring ( yup stiff!! )

on the rear, slotted crossmember,lsd, 15" wheels.... kyb gr2 struts.... cut stock springs at the moment.( cut down to 8.25" i think ).... almost tucking rim .....

So i asked him if they had a spring that would work well on the back , in the stock location.....

I was told before the ratio for the rear is something like 3.81:1 ? So, i should be looking for 1333# springs?

Well he replied and suggested a 450# spring from betts..... is that way too soft to match my fronts? It sounded crazy to me.....

I would rather go with 532# d50/mighty max springs from belltech then, if they would compliment my fornts

Sorry for rambling

Chime in if you like

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

so a 532# wouldnt be too soft for such a stiff front? o the d50 spring fomr belltech is 8" tall with 7 free coils.....

Don said the betts are a lil tall for a 4-door, so i can cut to make stiffer... but i didnt think the spring made a difference on a 2 or 4 door

been there a zillion times...... and rarely do i find anyone posting thier rear spring rate... they say oh i have lowered springs.... or i have suspension techniques.... or king....... couldnt find anything there that helped me...... or just no diffinitive answers.... i cant find anyone that sells a spring with a higher rate than 800# for a 3" i.d. spring :(

Edited by 71ka510
been there a zillion times...... and rarely do i find anyone posting thier rear spring rate... they say oh i have lowered springs.... or i have suspension techniques.... or king....... couldnt find anything there that helped me...... or just no diffinitive answers.... i cant find anyone that sells a spring with a higher rate than 800# for a 3" i.d. spring :(
I run a 600 pounder in the rear (stock location) and a 350 up front with R compound tires in a race use only car. i would cut that by 100 rear and 75 front for strret tire use.
From what I've seen of cars with 700lb rears, they are too soft.
Just a comment on the rears, 9oo Is a good point to start. 700 is definately too soft. Do NOT be afraid to sneek up on 1000. That sounds really stiff to some, but, look where the whell is relative to the spring. Lots of leverage happening. The benefit also is the stiffer the rear, the less tendancy for toe change, which you REALLY feel on a 510.
Rear spring: 820LB
Rear:

Specialty Engineering 1100# spring

The 275 to 300# up front with 1000-1200# our back is what we use up here if sticky tires are involved, seems to work good for quite a few of our club members like myself, Keith, Malcolm and.......for both solo II, solo I, hillclimbs, and track days.
After increasing the front roll stiffnes by the #300 springs, and 1 1/8" front bar, and 1,200 rear springs (no rear bar) the weight transfer to the front was dramatically reduced, with the car taking a very good set in corner entry, and the throttle was able to be APPLIED for good power for mid/late corner exit. The rear shock set up is then crucial at this point, as it must be soft enough to let the weight transfer BACK to the rear wheels, for good acceleration.
:rollseyes:

THANK YOU!!!! i read through almost all 16 pages..... and started going cross eyed... some people neve r stated how the car handled... now to just find someone that actually sells a 1200-1300# spring that fits ....... any leds on that..... eibach,coleman,bluesprings,belltech, all turned me away :(

oh and afte r reading those... DON from ground-control must be nuts

THANK YOU!!!! i read through almost all 16 pages..... and started going cross eyed... some people neve r stated how the car handled... now to just find someone that actually sells a 1200-1300# spring that fits ....... any leds on that..... eibach,coleman,bluesprings,belltech, all turned me away :(

oh and afte r reading those... DON from ground-control must be nuts

eh, sorry, I guess I should have copied more from the posts...they might have described the handling as well but I was just grabbing numbers.

that is my plan......... when i can afford it.... but right now i need my daily driver to be on the road... and i dont have an extra $600 sitting around.... i got the fronts back when the economy didnt suck and i was making twice as much :( . So , just need something for now.... and i can get just springs for under $120

just heard it will handle like garbage.... guess i wil try it for a bit...sinc e i cant find anyone selling a stiff enough stock location spring anyway.... and when i go coil overs.. i may be having a one of set made by a certain company that i can not mention.... hooray for prototyping.....

• 1 month later...

alot of good reading here

i have a point to make for a coilover application: Do any of you guys think that putting that stiff of a spring on not only a section of the body that is only designed for a shock, but the lower shock mount look's suspect to fail in my book. Thats why im on the hunt for a high rate spring that will go in the stock locaton aswell.

also will moving the spring that much will also change as more leverage is being applicated????

ps i cut my stock springs and it rides like SHIT!!!!!

Edited by JDM510
Do any of you guys think that putting that stiff of a spring on ...

also will moving the spring that much will also change as more leverage is being applicated????

never heard of it failing. have heard of it being reinforced.

its not moved much, so IIRC its merely a spring rate change to the leverage points.

Yeah I was just thinking you know the coil belongs their. It's designed to be their. Why change it?? idk.... I just really cant get over the idea of all that wieght being on where only a shock was designed to go. (lower mount wise i know the body can take it)