Trouble rebuilding rear brakes

73super

Trying to get one of my drums of is proving difficult. The brake adjuster doesn't seem to want to budge for me to bring the shoes in so I can pull the drum. Any ideas? The other one came off no problem. It had the holes in drum for screws to assist in drum removal.. the "difficult" one does not. I've ordered new drums, but need to get this bugger off first. Help oh wise ones.

Butch.:eek:

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

to loosen to up rotate the wheel upward.

sometimes need to get to screwdrivers or a brake adj tool.

If you get it off make sure no to be cheap and get some antiseize compound and tab the threads so you can adjust the brakes ezer next time. BELIEVE ME!!

Most drums can just get turned.

also if alot of oily brakes then the outermain seal is bad and axle needs to be pulled to replace it. That hole on the drom is the seep hole if oil is outside of that then it needs replaced

Make sure the E brake for that wheel is nice and loose. If you are replacing the shoes, nothing to loose spraying a can of WD-40 in the adjuster hole. Get as much on the adjuster itself and leave overnight. Too much prying can snap the star wheel cogs off. Give the drum a few good single handed smacks with a 6 lb sledge hammer around the lug bolts. Don't hit them and wear hearing protection. As a last resort use a propane torch and heat the star wheel through the adjuster slot. Get it as hot as you can and then quickly pry on it. I did this on a frozen one in a vice and it worked, should work on the truck.

Used white lithium grease on assembly. It doesn't dry out and seals out dirt and moisture, not affected by break heat.

I wouldn't recommend the torch....if there's brake fluid in there, you could end up with some trouble.

If you already ordered new drums.....take a 4" grinder with a thin cutoff wheel and cut around the outer front edge...where the front part rolls over to the side. ...hhmm...sparks may do the same as the torch :) The front piece should come off pretty easy, then you can get at the adjuster....or put a cut in the side piece...either way, you'll have it off.

I just have a garden hoes 10 feet away.

Good idea, Mike. Like life insurance, you pay for something you never intend to use, weird, huh? I'll talk to my wife, maybe she can get me one through her work (safety supplies), chuckle.