Oil Leaks?

atkinson40

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

no trick really, its all in the the assembly. do you have a manual? I put just a skim coat of permatex (blue) on the front cover gasket (dab in the corners), same with the oil pan, and NONE on the valve cover. If the pan is not straight it won't seal... set it on a flat surface and look for 'larger' air gaps, and tap them down with a hammer. OH, DON'T over tighten the oil pan!! :D

no trick really, its all in the the assembly. do you have a manual? I put just a skim coat of permatex (blue) on the front cover gasket (dab in the corners), same with the oil pan, and NONE on the valve cover. If the pan is not straight it won't seal... set it on a flat surface and look for 'larger' air gaps, and tap them down with a hammer. OH, DON'T over tighten the oil pan!! :D

I'm going to start the motor a couple of times every day until I get it road ready and then will change the oil before putting it on the road. When I change the oil, I'll try to fix the oil pan leak. I noticed someone put a support piece of metal that goes around one quarter of the pan under the bolts. I don't know if this was a rigged up fix trying to solve something broken(which I didn't see) or what. I hope I didn't honk up the gasket by overtightening. Yes I have a manual, but only read it in emergencies:o

I use a lot of RTV, especially on the pan gasket. Like a full tube. I know it's real amateur, but it beats an oil leak. My manual says to put RTV between the valve cover and the gasket, so the gasket will come off easily with the cover when you set valve clearances. Put no RTV between the head and the underside of the cover gasket.

There should be 2 corners with those little 'L' shaped pieces, in the rear? corners I believe.

This is one piece and it ain't little. If I remember right, it covers nearly all or most all of the back bolts on the pan and a good 4-5 inches along one side.:eek: When it gets light I'll take pictures. Thanks Kevin

I think I even put the permatex gobble-de-goop on the oil pan gasket.

you think??? :confused:

I use a lot of RTV, Like a full tube. I know it's real amateur, but it beats an oil leak.

:eek:

could have gobbly-gooked the oil feed lines and the pressure has no place else to go...but out :cursing:

this is the trick...

the factory don't use that shit! Preparation is the key. Flat true surfaces that are clean.

I noticed someone put a support piece of metal that goes around one quarter of the pan under the bolts.

leave it off unless you have ALL the pieces. it may cause uneven surfaces, which they is designed to stop, when all pieces are there. 2 S around the front and 1 L around the rear

i think they are off the Z22 motors, as its the only place ive seen em.

i think they are off the Z22 motors, as its the only place ive seen em.

Here's a shot of the side of the bracket.

38.jpg

Here's a shot of it as it goes around the back of the pan.

39.jpg

There's only one, and its on the drivers side of the pan. Looks like I over tightened and didn't get the gasket lined up. I'll have to redo it.:( Oh well, If that was the worst mistake I'd made in my life. I'd be dahum lucky:lol:

Should I leave it off? Thanks Kevin

intresting...

had not seen em before the Z22 :confused:

mine has 2pcs in the F (same size) and 1pc in the rear(covers the entire rear section).

it may cause even torque between the bolts...id leave it off.

did you notice if some of the pan bolts are different lengths? (they should be)

the gasket looks squished out the sides too.

Edited by hang_510

The L20b had one piece at the rear of the motor just like you pictured and nothing at the front of the motor. Its factory as you pictured it, and that is how it should be reassemled.

Preperation is the key. Clean dry surfaces. Factory didnt see a need for any RTV, that should explain a lot.

The L20b had one piece at the rear of the motor just like you pictured and nothing at the front of the motor. Its factory as you pictured it, and that is how it should be reassemled.

Preperation is the key. Clean dry surfaces. Factory didnt see a need for any RTV, that should explain a lot.

Motor is L18, so maybe some L18s came with it also. There were no long bolts to compensate for the extra space. I'm back to leaving it on.:)