Need Help with Drive Shaft & Finishing My 510 KA swap Project

qmrp2567

I have a single cam KA wagon project the swap is 75% complete. Engine and ECU needs to be wired to the car, fuel system sorted out, and cooling system. I really want to get this car running by the end of the year. My wife is having a baby in October. Is there anyone out there willing to finish this car? I would pay your services of course. I consulted with a shop in Redwood City. Their quote was much too high for me. I can be emailed directly at louie.b@comcast.net I just listed my car on craiglist, but I am having serious second thoughts. I really want this car to run.

Edited by datzenmike
  • Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I bought it with no motor. Thanks, I'll go lock for a volvo fuel pump. It's 50% off at pick n pull this coming weekend. BTW I decided to get the fuel, cooling and driveshaft issues done in the next 2 weeks. I'll leave the wiring for last.

Decided to finish the car by myself. I'm going to save the wiring last. Several sources for tranny crossmember. Everybody was out. Hoping someone out there has one they don't need. I would love to purchase it. I sold my welder a few months ago. Did'nt want to move it when we moved houses.

Getting ready to shorten my driveshaft. Does anyone know a good place that does driveshaft shortening in or around Vallejo CAlifornia. I don't mind driving. By the way. Whats the correct length. I have not measured yet. I am using the KA sohc motor and tranny on a 1972 510 Wagon.

Getting ready to shorten my driveshaft. Does anyone know a good place that does driveshaft shortening in or around Vallejo CAlifornia. I don't mind driving. By the way. Whats the correct length. I have not measured yet. I am using the KA sohc motor and tranny on a 1972 510 Wagon.

to my understanding, if you have a wagon, the stock sedan driveshaft should work, no shortening.

I heard the same as well. Unfortunately, I only have the one shaft from the wagon and the 240sx. I have a shortened one for a 2 door using a Z 5 speed, but it's a foot to short. thanks to everyone who responded to my post.

• 3 weeks later...

I just found out that my 240SX driveshaft cannot be shortened. Something about the tube being tapered. I guess I'll have to look for a sedan driveshaft. Does anyone know if the 2 and 4 units are the same length. If not, which one do I need. Thanks again

• 1 month later...

The sedan driveshaft fits perfectly. Now I need to figure out the gas tank. I have a 240sx fuel pump assembly and a volvo in line. One I have to cut and tack in. The other I have to figure out where to tap in. Anybody have any recommendations?

With the wagon fuel tank, I had an issue trying to use a 240sx sending unit. There was no good spot on the tank (flat) to weld the sending unit on without it being too shallow. If you're using an in-line pump, you shouldn't really need the sending unit, it's only going to be used for an in-tank. You just need a feed and return line on the top of the tank.

Try to mount the pump as close to the tank as possible, in-lines don't like sucking fuel from long distances.

I used the stock "feed" line as my KA return line, and just ran a new rubber line as the new feed to fuel rail.

Saved me a little money at the time. Best of luck!

glad ya got your driveshaft figured out i too have a sohc ka goon. i was gonna post that a 510 sedan shaft fits very nice (but you already figured it out lol) i'm running a inline pump i picked up from jegs its a trick flow pump came with a relay and wire etc for under 100 bucks. its loud but most efi pumps tend to be. exept maybe factory ones,such as the volvo one mentioned. If ya need help with the harness me and beebani can make it a plug n play deal for ya. also your gonna need a #11 ecu to get rid of the rev limiter and fuel cut. so start hunting! the #11 was a 240 automatic ecu.

thanks for all the great info. I am thinking of either welding a female bulk head fitting on the the tank or just using the drain plug which already threaded and placing a 90 degree fitting then running the feed line to my inline pump. I will have gravity working for me as well. I will use the old small feed line as my return line.

As fas as the wiring what do I need to send?