Hydraulic or elecrtical steer-box ???

OK, I'm just confused about this, I want to change the Unassisted steer-box ( Nissan Patrol) in my truck (Aro spartana) to assisted one . So there are 2 choices :

Electrical or Hydraulic , My friend told me that electrical one is more dependable than Hydraulic one but hydraulic is quieter

than elec one !!!!! Especially with (BUZZZZZZZ) sound of the electrical !!???

Now I want to know which one is really better to go for it !!!

Ideas, hints, Suggestions ..........:confused:

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hydralic is going to be your best bet. Electric is still a relatively new thing. A few of the newer Saturn's have Electric and it is available throug the aftermarket also. Try Borgeson or Flaming River for aftermarket sources. But in the Ratsun world you are going to be all alone, Not really in the budget for most Datsun's.

Good Luck, I would like to see a completed install of this though.

I don't think electrical is an option over here. Never heard of it as an aftermarket option. Just on new cars. Probably a dot safety deal.

Actually...they've been out aftermarket for a couple of years now. I've read several write ups on them in the Street Rodder and similar mags.

I try to spend more time working out at the table to build up the arm muscles. I moved up from 3 tine to 4 tine forks.....I'm about ready to get some 5 tine so I can feel the burn!! :)

2007 Toyota Corolla with electric steer-motor has a loud buzzzzzzzzzzzz sound while turning/parking , '95 Corolla with hydraulic power steering is quiet

like a desert and tgere are many examples!!!!!!!!

The problem I face now is how to get car speed sensor signal for electric steer box besides the elecric motor as I found in documentation is 1300 Watts

which means 1300 Watts/12 Volts = 108 Amps !!!!!!!:eek: Does Nissan manufactured such ALT ?????????

I searched the internet 3 days ago and found many comments about modern

electric power steering cars which indicates that this feature is pain in the ass ! Anyway I feel lost but I'm not goinig to be disappointed . I'll keep learning and working until this shit is operational .

• 2 months later...

I planted a speed sensor out of bicycle thingy and installed on the rear left wheel and ....................... BINGO!!!!!!!!!!! that shit is working well now , Who thought that there is compatibility between a chinese sensor/odometer and electrical steer box from Nissan pathfinder !!!!!! Yeah Dr.Frankenstein did:lol: . Anyway I'll try the vehicle but first I have to secure luxury life insurance :D end of transmission .

• 4 months later...

After test drive I found the steering wheel is pretty hard to steer Although the steer box is

VW ...... :angry: no,not satisfying at all! in addition there is nothing to do to improve steering

quality .Too bad,then I decided to convert to hydraulic power steering , I bought used

steer box out of "80 Nissan Patrol 4*4 and drilled the inside thingy 10% to make it easier

to steer(be careful,more than 12% will damage the steer box, When you start the engine the

steering wheel will move BY ITSELF) and replaced all seal rings with new then installed the

steer box in the truck.Then I bought hydraulic pump from Mazda pickup, cleaned it with some

hydraulic fluid then installed on the engine with some mods, Replaced crank pulley with

Nissan hydraulic embedded dual pulley stock one ,then the belt (13/600) of good brand, then

reservoir (just 2 inches higher than box and pump) and hoses,Filled with Dextron 3 ATF 0.8

Liter, Started the engine and steered left and right frequently (carefully checked for

pump/box temp,ATF leak,The noise of the pump) and after 10 minutes the air completely came

out from the reservoir, then increased idle speed (1/4 turn 0f idle speed screw).I've driven

it for 3 months till now, steered soft, steady and reliable even better experience than 2010

new cars/trucks :cool: .

I think this writeup should be on HOW TO, right???

Hope I made it clear for you guys

Yeah, I think I'd prefer a regular hydraulic unit over an electrical one. Worked for heavy ass U.S. rigs for the past 50 years, can't be that bad. Electric seems like it might be failure prone on such an item, but I've never seen one over here. Let alone have a new enough car to enjoy that headache.

EPAS has quite a few benefits over hydraulic. No pump, no reservoir, no lines, no belt, no fluid leaks, doesn't have to be bled, variable assist, compact packaging. The motor can be rack mounted or column mounted. The steering feeling is more linear to me. I have yet to be able to fake out the steering by moving the wheel to fast, back and forth, etc. Most types have the ecu built in, so only the speed signal is required for operation, as the ecu and steering rate/angle sensors are built in. EPAS has become more popular with the rise in hybrids. EPAS is required for hybrids, as it's kind of hard to spin a power steering pump if the gas engine isn't running. Due to EPAS popularity with manufacturers, you will see more and more vehicles being equipped with it. On a related note, I believe it's the latest Prius that has no engine drive belts. Electric power steering, water pump driven off the timing chain/belt, no alternator, and the A/C compressor is high voltage electric operated.

There has been a electric steering box kit for the s30 for like 5 years now. Its atached to the column inside the car.

I have seen some generic ones though, like the entire rack, mount/adapt for anything really.

I personally prefer it over hydraulic, for all the advantages listed and more. Like weight saving or at the very least better distribution sitting lower if on the rack and even way back inside the car if on the column. No parasitic drain.

There are bunch but I'm too tired and have to begin getting drunk lol.