cool ignition idea

Loz

I just had a cool idea so what do you think?

I want a switch for the ignition and then a push button starter. I did this with an old Austin Mini with a button on the floor (as they used to have!)

I am thinking though of course security is an issue. So what about a panel of 6 switches, one ignition, one isolating the coil and one isolating the fuel pump. Add three hoax switches. stacked in two rows of three. only with the switches in the correct configuration will the truck start and run. More a fun thing really but adds to the security.

You remember how when you see them start a plane in movies they are always flipping switches. I though it would be cool to get in the truck and "flip flip flip" and press the starter! like a world war II fighter or bomber!

Am I just mental or can you see the upside too?

of course, you'd have to not forget the correct config!:o

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Kinda like a combination lock. For security back in the day I use to wire my cars in a fashion that you would have to push in the cigarette lighter or nothing would happen when you turn the key. Then the lighter pops and you are automatically protected for the next time.

Well, My truck is a play thing, so no wonder it brings out child like ideas!

I was after fashioning my own set up rather than a store bought solution. just plain unmarked switches and then the starter button elsewhere (consealed in the ash try now springs to mind !)

Love that fag lighter idea. Very cool old skool.

fag lighter? wtf?:blink::confused: arent security switches supposed to be hidden and small, instead of labeled and obvious?

Do you push in your cigarette lighter every time you try to start your car? Most cigarette lighters won't even work until you turn the switch on :blink:. I never put a lable on mine :confused:. I was talking early eighties. It was cool and old school. I got the idea from an old timer who use to do it in the fourties.

I just had a cool idea so what do you think?

I want a switch for the ignition and then a push button starter. I did this with an old Austin Mini with a button on the floor (as they used to have!)

I am thinking though of course security is an issue. So what about a panel of 6 switches, one ignition, one isolating the coil and one isolating the fuel pump. Add three hoax switches. stacked in two rows of three. only with the switches in the correct configuration will the truck start and run. :o

If a want-a-be theif was to flip all 6 switches to the "on" position wouldn't that start your truck? I guess you would need to have something like:

switch # 1 - off (dummy)

switch # 2 - off (in use)

switch # 3 - on (in use)

switch # 4 - on (dummy)

switch # 5 - off (in use)

switch # 6 - on (dummy)

Is that what you were thinking? That the 3 switches that are used won't be in the same (UP or DOWN) position when the truck will actually start?

exactly bob. Any other way would be pointless.

have a mixed configuration that with 6 switches (or 8!) would be damn hard to figure. because even if you got ignition, AND found the starter switch... you wouldn't know if you had fuel or not until a few yards down the road and then (like an anti car jacking device) the truck would be stuck! I think it's a pretty cool idea.

I'm probly gonna run up to the shop tomorrow. :D

Look, for security install a hidden kill switch.

Almost all cars you get in turn key to start and you go. Yours will be so complicated, what happens if you have to lend it to a friend or wife? You have to tell them how to start it. They have to wright down the instructions. What if there's an emergency? People get flustered and make mistakes. What happens if stalled at an intersection or r/r crossing and they grab for the key and panic cause they can't get it started...... keep it simple to use and simple to disarm.

Hide your starter switch on the floor under the carpet, keep your key in the ignition, and put a row of dummy switches on so you can switch them up and down to fool some one that rides with you. but make it so when you turn your key, you hit the starter switch with your foot and one of your dummy switches is the power.

Kinda like a combination lock. For security back in the day I use to wire my cars in a fashion that you would have to push in the cigarette lighter or nothing would happen when you turn the key. Then the lighter pops and you are automatically protected for the next time.

THAT is a clever idea. :rolleyes:

took the idea to my auto electrician who said bassically (in thai) "FFS, I'll give you a frickin' ignition switch!" his way of not having to explain all the reasons it would be stupid in thai while I try to understand. Also learned something awesome watching him today. but that is in another thread!

So now I have a New (to me) ignition fitted (old one was hangin loose no way to attatch) and working with 2 keys. FOC. makes up for the 10 quid I paid for 5 metres of fuel line! OUCH that is expensive (for Thailand).

Seeing as the 510 is gradually becoming a race car, I got a really nice push button starter from Jegs or Summit, can't remember which. I wired in a duplicate switch as a kill which is hidden and works great. Still have the key to lock the doors, and most thieves won't look for a second switch, takes too long. Unless they're specifically looking for something, in which case they're going to steal the car anyway, even if they have to load it onto a flatbed.