To Shave or Not to Shave, that is the question

Loz

Was thinking about removing the lugs from the bed as I have a grinder now and nothing to grind.

Got me thinking... should I be thinking about filling the door handles and locks for a smooth look too? Then I would have solonoids to open the door on a push button like the TVR Cerbera and Griffiths. little push button concealed somewhere...

This then brings me to the windows... should I go for trick electric windows too? I have a cool sparkie here who did the same to his 1970 'yoto pick up. windows are fast and furious. got me thinking...

problem with these old toys is just that though... they get you thinking... then spending.. then SOMETIMES... regretting...

But coming back to the title. SHave or don't shave. Any graphic responses appreciated...

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It all comes down to personal likes. I like the smooth look, cut the hooks off then rolled the bed rails, shaved door handles, taligate handles, body lines. But alot of the people like the hooks and handles etc...it all up to you

canby07100_5310-1.jpg

canby07100_5309.jpg

1lo,

thanks for the inspiration.

How do you open your doors? how hard was the conversion?

What do you mean by "Roll" the bed rails?

Thanks again!

On my truck I have the locks still, I just bent the rod that was connected to the handle ,and now the key opens the door.

And as far as the rolling the bed rails, look at the bed on my truck and notice there in no gap where the bed hooks where...Go to Pacific Coast Build up :PCD 74 build progress: blog in this section. He just did it to his bed and he shows a step by step.

As far as chopping a top. I bought the truck chopped. I know there was a how to on the old web site "THe620" but the web site name got changed, and I cant remember the name right now I will try to find out the name and post it....unless someone does it first.,.just llook around the site and do searches there has been a ton of stuff covered in the past few years, Good luck

Edited by 1lo620

Yes thanks again!

Love the simplicty of the key opening the door. Is it as simple as it sounds? cos that would be a sweet delete!

As for the roof chop, I found the article on http://www.olddatsuns.com the 620 site as was. GREAT old article that. I am going to loose days not hours reading up on these trucks. But the door handle delete combined with some solex locks might just be magic!

Rolling the bed looks like a lot of work for a bed I might not be keeping so I'll save that for a rainy day, cheers.

I noticed you (1lo) went crazy with the luvre machine! bet cooling is not a problem in your truck, is it!

Any more trick tips appreciated. Sorry if I am duplicating questions raised elsewhere...:o

Most Solenoid kits actually have a brain and key fob. Basically push button on keys...done. But if your battery dies, ur screwed. A clean shave would have the lock gone aswell, tho it is a good trick, and a solex key would hold up alot better than a standard key to pull the latch, especially if it ever got jammed or bound up.

Again, Ive seen some electric window kits that would utilize the original style crank, but you only need to push it down, or pull up a lil to engage the switch. Very trick....both are auto loc products, but could be home made rather simply.

The problem with a roof chop is often the glass. The windshield specifically. It almost always needs a lil reshaping or extra epoxy at the bottom flange depending on the vehicle.

http://www.thehoffmangroup.com/autoloc/product.lasso?prodinc=bearclawdoor

You can check out this site for door latch kits they have manual and automatic actuators. If you do go totally shaven with automatic pop you can always put in a hidden cable in case your battery drains.

I forgot to mention they also have power window kits and just about any other trick stuff you can imagine.

Edited by woodside4032
forgot to mention

Cool!

My local sparkie tells me that both windows can be done for less than 100 bucks us. 3000+bht thai. I'll be going down that road for sure.

As for the locks. I like the solex idea anyway so with shaved doors I think that could be a real trick touch.

roof chop is for more patient modders. I don't mind the height but I'd miss my truck right now if I went for the big chop!

more concerned with lowering and sorting the tank blockage. little things... but useful and cool.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Man, That is some Awesome Work!

Quick Question:

I burned out my Grinder after 2 and a half hooks? Can I remove them with a chisel?

Is that a really idea? its early here... I may be having a nightmare... you know the one where you are standing naked infront of your entire office or something?

Lets hope it was not such a bad question...

I had shaved door handles on my 510 for 8 years, and I will tell you from experience that it SUCKED. Sure it looks cool, but I can't tell you how many times the doors closed with the keys inside. Plus if you just need to grab something quick from inside, you gotta use the remote again, and again, and again, and it get's reaaaly old when your at a show with stuff in your car. It's just a PITA.You know how much it sucks when your on a date and you have to use a tree branch to jimmy your car door open? Plus if the system doesn't work for whatever reason, or the battery dies in your remote, your screwed. I know there are hidden switches and such, but I'm just sayin'. I got so good at jimmying 510 doors open I could do it in 5 seconds, seriously. I went through the trouble recently to de-shave my door handles, and welded in normal handle assemblies again. The convenience of having a regular handle again is infinitely immeasurable. I will never own another car with shaved handles, the convenience far outweighs the coolness.

Edited by yellowdatsun