1981 510 z22 swapped

I've had this car for several years but haven't done much with it till now.

I've swapped the blown z20s for a z22s to give a bit more torque. I plan to add a weber carb for a little more power. I've lowered it a bit for slightly better handling and much better looks. The exhaust has been upgraded to 2.25in from the cat back. I've also upgraded the wheels from 13 inch to 15 inch. Other than these changes the car is stock including an automatic transmission.

OK on to photos

DSC_2116.jpg

DSC_2129.jpg

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

it will get better as I go too. I'm currently looking for some 90s era maxima seats in blue for this so I'll have a nice perch. I am also possibly going to add a turbo for that extra grunt every car needs. handling wise I'm on the hunt for 200sx s110 sway bars and a set of good shocks/struts. I may possibly in the future swap a 5-speed in for better milage/performance.

The NAPS engine is perfect for a turbo with exhaust on one side and intake on the other. The limitations of the head are nothing to a turbo. See if you can find the EFI set up for the 200sx Z22. It should handle 5-7 lbs of boost, any more and you will need better fuel management.

The optional FS5W63 dog leg 5speed was only made for 2 years for your car, '80 and '81. Might be better to convert it over and run 720 or '80-'83 200sx FS5W71B 5speeds in it. You would have to shorten the drive shaft and mod the tranny mount but it's more plentiful and a stronger tranny if using a turbo.

I think I'll stay carburated and blow through that. I have some help from a dimer in Canada who has been running and developing a blow through carb for about 30 years. I think for now the auto will stay just because I'm not rich enough to have a driveshaft made. these autos are tougher than you think I had a friend who ran this trans behind an L20 turbo that saw regular NO2 runs at close to 500hp. I will not even come close to that I'm aiming at sub 200hp and hammer reliable.

I think I'll stay carburated and blow through that. I have some help from a dimer in Canada who has been running and developing a blow through carb for about 30 years.

Yes, I know Keith. Can't argue with 250-ish RWHP L20B right? (well I assume it's at least an L20B block)

I think I'll stay carburated and blow through that.

The EFI is cheaper. And probably easier. :P

I think for now the auto will stay just because I'm not rich enough to have a driveshaft made.

If you can't afford $70-90, you might have the wrong hobby. :D

You don't have to have a new one made, you just have to have yours shortened by a competent driveshaft shop. ;)

Edited by datsunfreak
The EFI is cheaper. And probably easier. :P

If you can't afford $70-90, you might have the wrong hobby. :D

You don't have to have a new one made, you just have to have yours shortened by a competent driveshaft shop. ;)

the last driveshaft I had made cost me closer to $250. I am working on a very limited budget being unemployed.

I've been thinking about this for some time. I've been thinking about a diesel conversion for this something along the lines of a sd22 out of the 720 truck with the 5 speed. add a turbo and shoot for 100hp. It would be cool to get close to 40 mpg and still pull hard.

the last driveshaft I had made cost me closer to $250. I am working on a very limited budget being unemployed.

good god man:eek::eek::eek: i had my driveline lengthend and it only cost me $100 and im in california the place that did yours raped dry man