Tool/ Parts storage

Today at work they were throwing out a metal cabinet which is basically like a chest of drawers. It sits on a wooden base like a coffee table to place it high enough to reach down to easily. The cabinet is metal and about a foot and a half tall but four feet wide and three deep. It has about six drawers or trays about 3-4" deep and would be perfect for storing tools in. I have dozens of screwdrivers that would fit with lots of room to spare, files, wrenches, hammers... an angle grinder might fit too. I get it to morrow and will post some pictures of it. It isn't a Mac Tool box but it's huge!!

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q251/datzenmike/IMG_0102-1.jpg[/img]"]IMG_0102-1.jpg

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q251/datzenmike/IMG_0104.jpg[/img]"]IMG_0104.jpg

Been so busy lately... Got it in my clean room, (inside joke) and it's about 30" by 42" for each tray times 5. All metal with ball bearing rollers in/under the trays. With the wood stand it's high enough to get at and still with some storage space under it. I've got a hundred lbs of small Datsun parts that would fill two of these drawers and so many small tools that I'm always looking for in and out of the house. With this thing I still will have trouble finding them but at least I'll know where they are.

Btw when the drawers are all the way out, like in the picture, there is still 9" to go.

Last week I got six double eight foot fluorescent lamp fixtures with bulbs, gratis! They are for an outdoors sign so the bulbs will work in the cold and not be dim or flicker. Twelve 8 footers should light up the work area now that it's getting darker so early.

It was used in our office for as long as I've been there, almost 15 years and was used to store blueprints and mylars of plans. I never liked the thing as it took up way to much space. I was asked to move it, (again, that bitch is heavy) and was surprised when they said outside... get rid of it! Well it became my newest best friend.

Now I have to go through the house and find all my missing and mislaid tools and such. Mrs. datzen will be glad.

ive gotten 2 strorage bins from work for FREE.

the original cost of 1 (SS for a cleanroom was over $1000) :D

removed from the area due to 'rust'

Is this like the Air Force's $15,000 hammers and $20,000 toilet seats?

(SS is for stainless steel, right?);)

I'm also a big fan of the recycling of unwanted storage items. I scored some nice lockers from work, they are great for bigger tools like angle grinders to keep all the related wrenches and parts that go with them together.

airside.jpg

I also never turn down a file cabinet when one happens my way, the one to the right of the freezer has two cases of oil and some extra lights, top drawer has a bunch of blue tarps at the ready.

If you never turned down free filing cabinets then your garage would be full of them! Those things are hard to give away! :) ....just keep checking craigslist. I see them there all the time.

I had some and had to dump them because nobody wanted them for free. I was using them in my garage too.