Got an L20b/5 spd with a truck around it

I've been looking for a doner with a L20b and a 5 speed, and I spotted this on craigs list. I got it for $350 and drove it home. I'm planning to eventually put this in the 72 wagon. I wasn't sure how much difference the L20 would be over my L16, but this thing really goes.

IMG_4667.jpg

The truck is pretty rough, but almost all the sheet metal forward of the bed is rust and dent free. Jester will probably end up taking parts for his KC.

IMG_4666.jpg

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The L20B is 2cm or about 3/4" taller (block height)

You will need the 510 oil pan on it.

If the L20B has a U-67 head, swap the intake and exhaust from your L16 onto it.

If it has the W-58, run what's on it and join the L20B down pipe to the L15 exhaust syatem. (just my opinion)

I'm guessing it's a '77??? or earlier with a 5spd swap.

It's got the U67 head. Not sure what head is best performance wise for the L20, but from what I've read, this one isn't bad?

It was listed on CL as a 78, but I didn't think to check to data plate or title. I have barely had time to even look at the truck.

300$ for that truck. I think I would just roll the truck and find another L20 to build up on the side.

This makes four datsuns sitting around for me:blink: I don't have much room for extra cars, and I want to keep the wagon and 521. The KC will go to good use though. I plan to go through the L20. Not sure if I'll do a full rebuild. Depends what I find inside.

Looks like a 78 to me.

Remote igniter distributor and square reservoir on the master cylinder for the front brakes are the two things i looked at.

Oh and the cover over the relays on the passenger fenderwell, but i dont know what year those started.

Jester, you packrat

Luke knows I have been looking for another cab. Mine is pretty hammered on the roof line. Plus, I can strip it to the frame and start over with a clean slate.

The build date on this truck is 12/77. It was probably sent out as a 78.

You west coast people just don't know how lucky you really are. If a 620 or even a 720 KC showed up around here in that good of shape and that cheap, i would snatch it up. But no, everything over here is rusted or just beat to hell.

Aside from the bed and gate this one is pretty good. The floors appear good and the top of the cab has just a couple small dents. Unlike my current cab. It looks like a Saint Bernard was playing up there. :lol::lol:

It's got the U67 head. Not sure what head is best performance wise for the L20, but from what I've read, this one isn't bad?

It was listed on CL as a 78, but I didn't think to check to data plate or title. I have barely had time to even look at the truck.

Looks like a 78 to me.

Remote igniter distributor and square reservoir on the master cylinder for the front brakes are the two things i looked at.

Oh and the cover over the relays on the passenger fenderwell, but i dont know what year those started.

It has a '78 grill. (could have been changed) U-67 head was used on L20Bs up till the '78 model year. Could be a '78 with a U-67 swapped on... look behind the distributor... you can see the water return line from the intake is disconnected and the end plugged. A U-67 head doesn't have the holes in it for intake manifold heat. The intake and exhaust are bolted together like this:

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q251/datzenmike/L%20Z%20Heads%20and%20Motors/620headU-67Large.jpg[/img]"]620headU-67Large.jpg

... plus the U-67 has square exhaust ports so the matching manifolds would have been used. Maybe the whole motor was swapped. The U-67 and W-58 are basically the same head... square exhaust on the U-67 and round on the W-58. The W-58 also has steel exhaust liners that might restrict flow somewhat but they are removable.

Yes the rearmost master cylinder reservoir is square for the '78 model year and on. How do you tell it's a remote igniter? That black terminal block with the Red and Black wires was used from '76 on.

If it has a voltage regulator then it's a '77. (can't tell in the picture) If it has disc brakes it's a '78.

Edited by datzenmike

I forgot to mention it in my first post, but the PO said that he put that head on about 3 years ago. He said as far as he knew, everthing else was pretty much stock (except for the weber of course. Oh, and the custom airhorns :lol:). He said that the truck had been handed down through 3 brothers with him being the last.

Datzenmike,

As Jes said, it's got disc brakes. It sounds like it matches up with everthing you described for a 78. The intake and exhaust look like your picture. No external regulator either.

Several connections around the intake and exhause manifolds are capped, crimped, etc. Looks like no one bothered to hook up the electric choke either. The guy said it's pretty cold blooded. Well... duh!

I'll post some more pics so you can see how bad the bed is. I think the cab is in really good shape though.

Edit: On second look, the exhaust and intake are a little different than your picture they are not actually bolted together like that.

Edited by 72wagun

Yes the rearmost master cylinder reservoir is square for the '78 model year and on. How do you tell it's a remote igniter? That black terminal block with the Red and Black wires was used from '76 on.

QUOTE]

Mike, My 76 did not have that little black box on the corner of the radiator with the Red and Black wires. And the only trucks that i have seen that on is Remote igniter trucks.

Here are some more pics.

Tailgate's a little rough.

IMG_4668.jpg

IMG_4669.jpg

Closeup of the manifold that was discussed.

IMG_4670.jpg

Seats appear to be original but in vintage condition. Notice custom shifter!

IMG_4672.jpg

Some nice features:

Custom airhorn system.

IMG_4671.jpg

Chrome wheels.

IMG_4674.jpg

Misc. stickers already applied (not shown: Metallica and Choppers forever stickers).

IMG_4673.jpg

Some pics from this weekend. Not sure when I'll have a chance to work on it, but at least it's out and on a stand.

IMG_4682.jpg

Had to twist it to the side a little to clear the pulley.

IMG_4683.jpg

Same with the pan.

IMG_4685.jpg

IMG_4687.jpg

IMG_4692.jpg

Jes had some bailing twine laying there, so used it to get the flywheel off.

IMG_4694.jpg

IMG_4696.jpg