which is better, clutch or no clutch?

Moisabamf

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I plan to ditch my clutch fan and go electric. Some electric fans might be loud, but only when they are on. Unlike a stock fan that sounds like an airplane everytime you rev the motor. And the electric should hardly ever come on unless you are in heavy/slow traffic. Provided that you have the fan control switch set up right.

I have read a lot that suggests any gain from electric fan under normal driving rpm range is bs.

I have also had TWO name brand electric fans go out on me and leave me stranded. Who can say a mechanical fan ever did that to them? I'm sure the ratio is drastically smaller but I guess the app is imp too. In any event it IS adding more things that can go break/ go wrong.

If your going to use a mechanical fan though I'd vote 100% clutch if not your just adding and wasting rotational resistance for no reason.

If your going to use electric choose well and make sure it has a control option/relay.

Edited by 72240z
I plan to ditch my clutch fan and go electric. Some electric fans might be loud, but only when they are on. Unlike a stock fan that sounds like an airplane everytime you rev the motor. And the electric should hardly ever come on unless you are in heavy/slow traffic. Provided that you have the fan control switch set up right.

Totally agree with this approach.

i vote no clutch they make the engine vibrate at high rpm's a lot more then the non clutch fan

do they really? when i wrap up the l20 n the kingcab it gets a weird vibration like the motors gonna fly apart.

with my next check i was plannin on getting a non clutch fan from and older truck. i had the sound of the 7 blade fan.

do they really? when i wrap up the l20 n the kingcab it gets a weird vibration like the motors gonna fly apart.

with my next check i was plannin on getting a non clutch fan from and older truck. i had the sound of the 7 blade fan.

you know exactly what i am talking about my l20 with a clutch fan did that same thing

the 2 best things you can do to make a l20 feel smooth in the upper r's is ditch the clutch fan and balance the clutch pressure plate and fly wheel together

Edited by DISLEXICDIME