diesel 620 plans

I have been pondering the idea of putting a diesel motor in the 620.I got the idea from that dirty jobs episode where a guy ran his 720 diesel on veggie oil.

I would like to do it for several reasons.Possibility of bio diesel,cool factor since it would be rare,I also use the 620 like a truck.I haul band gear,tow my boat and haul big crap around a lot.I would also like the idea of a turbo diesel.

Any ideas on this would be cool to hear.Will it be too slow?

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The SD22 and SD25 fit in the 720s. They were used in lift trucks and are short on hp and long on torque. The SD22 has just over 60 hp and just over 100 ft lbs torque, 'bout the same as an L20B but at 1,800 RPMs or about 1/2 the RPMs of the L20B. The SD25 was 70 hp and 115 ft lbs at 1,800 RPMs.

Diesels love to be turboed. You will need to get a diesel tranny or the front half with bell to put on your 5spd. (the starter is on the driver's side)

I don't know, but I would guess that to keep things simple Nissan would keep all the frames the same, so the frame mount would be the same for the L20B, Z22, Z24, and the diesels. The motors would all have different brackets (and maybe rubber mounts) that fit onto the universal frame mounts.The frames were nearly identical, my cab and front fit right on, bolt holes lined up when I switched my rusted out '78 frame for an '82, the L20B dropped right back in. Just yesterday I dropped a Z24 onto the same frame, used the Z24 brackets and the L20B rubber. Fits.

Just get a diesel with the mounts (brackets and rubbers) to be sure. Not sure what side the clutch slave is on, it may have to be moved too. There's a diesel 5spd up at a local wreckers, I'll look.

There's a diesel 5spd up at a local wreckers, I'll look.

Man you guys got all the good stuff up there! In all my years, I've only seen ONE datsun/nissan diesel engine ever, and they smashed it a week after I saw it when I couldn't afford it... Kinda like that L18 I was gonna buy. Told them I would come back for it in 7 days (my next day off), they said ok, and smahsed it on the 6th day before I could come... You know who you are crappy wrecking yard... DIE!!!

Yeah,the idea would be to do a datsun diesel from a 720.There is 1 at the local wrecker, it is missing all the manifolds but the tranny may be there.1 on craigslist but they want $1000 without a title or 850 for the motor.I am going to see if they will take a couple hundred bucks.

Imagine a turbo diesel 620 running on KFC.A turbo would probably be tricky though.

It's too bad there's not really enough room to run an LD28. Ever see "The veggie car"? That 240z, with the LD28 inline 6 turbo diesel. Supposedly the guy just bolted on a turbo manifold from a 280zx-t. I actually wanted to put an LD28 in my old 280z, but go figure... There aren't any datsuns here!!! ARGH!!!

I've seen people put the L6 engines in 620s, but usually major re-work of the firewall is needed, and some even relocate the radiator back into the bed...

Ive been thinking the same way.. Ive wanted a Bio Diesel for a while..

I know that there were L20D's produced in Japan, as well as L20D II Turbocharged powerplants. I've seen them for sale from JDM importers, the guys were out of florida..

Preface:

I had never seen anything regarding the chemistry he went through on mythbusters, I had only read about simply filtering the Veg Oil to get the particulates out of It and then using it like Diesel.. The Process The mythbusters guy went through might keep the veg from gelling in the cold

One thing that has deturred me from committing to the Bio Diesel is the climate where I live, Im in the midwest and we actually have winters, unlike you guys in the Pac NW, and the Bio Diesel will Gel in the cold weather, You get around this by using a Bio Tank that is plumbed so that you can circulate the hot engine coolant throught the tank thus warming the Bio..

Problem is that means that before you shut the engine off, you must first switch to normal Diesel and run the Bio out of the system before you shut the engine off so it wont Gel in the lines, and after you started the engine It takes a while for the Veg Oil to warm enough for you to use it as fuel.. and as I drive about 13 miles a day.. it would only make sense for me to run Bio in the summer.

There a number of sources about it on the web.Alot about vw diesel jettas.Yes you have to run standard or mix diesel until warm.You also have to run a tank heater.

While talking about it at work with an ex diesel mechanic he said the 4 bangers run at like 25:1 CR so a turbo might over do it but then again some diesels wont run without a turbo or super charger.Also would need to remove the brake booster.Good time for a disc swap.

I know about the midwest as my woman is from wisconsin.One year we visited and there was 4 feet of snow and 20 below.They salt the shit out of the roads too is why there arent many older cars around like there is here.We use sand and gravel but still live by saltwater.

Makya you are correct about it being called wvo.I forgot about that.I think most people think of it as bio.Non petrol.And I think real bio costs the same as standard diesel doesnt it?

In cold areas even petrol diesel will gel up.Not likely to happen in so-cal no matter what you use.How cold does it get there?60 degrees?People thought I was crazy for wearing shorts when it was 65 last time I was there."...arent you freezing?"they would say "...I am from washington". "..ooohhhh"

I cant figure out how to post a link to youtube but everyone should check it out.The dirty jobs episode with the bio diesel datsun is there in 2 parts.Just search-dirty jobs diesel.And it is sort of both bio and wvo.He processes it down pretty well.

I think you guys are confusing BIO with WVO-Waste Vegetable Oil.

I have not had any problems with gelling on the Bio-fueled trucks I've worked on.

ok thats what Im talking about.. if it wont gel once its "Distilled" distilled or whatever, That is great.. now I just need a second garage to make the stuff in :cool:

as far as the booster goes.. the have vacum pumps for that dont they?

Makya you are correct about it being called wvo.I forgot about that.I think most people think of it as bio.Non petrol.And I think real bio costs the same as standard diesel doesnt it?

yes, it costs the same or more for blended or straight bio. most of the people i have met that make their own have told me between .75 to 1.10 /gallon.

But you also have to figure what your time is worth.

• 2 months later...

Why not a cummins 4bt? You can boost the hp to 150. I've looked into doing this as a project for a chevy pickup but determined that it was going to cost a lot of $$$$, and the price of diesel is 50cents a gallon more. So many more things to think about. Thats why I decided to get the KA wagon instead. Look on the 4bt website. Lots more engines that just cummins diesel. LOL

why not straight veggie oil (svo) which costs whatever a gallon of oil is from the market... or waste veggie oil (wvo) which is free but just needs to be filtered?

i work at a place that has a school bus which was just converted in august to run off svo rather than biodiesel. for the first 600 miles you have to use clean veggie oil then after that you can make the switch to using filtered wvo if you want. there is place bout 20 minutes from me in Hollywood that did the conversion... http://www.lovecraftbiofuels.com/

they also have a garage in Portland, Oregon that does conversions. i also would like to put and diesel motor in my 620, but i dont know if its legal since its a 77 and in california i still have to smog it... still searching around the dmv website for info on that...

I found a place with a Brand new LD20 for sale! But it says call for price, so I bet it would be around $2500 bucks... That would be the way to go... Bolt in, bolt up setup!

http://www.jnhinc.com/~jesco/product_info.php?cPath=30&products_id=47&osCsid=bf9d1a2394a9ef21e0f3a0ce4f84c96f

I wouldn't personally use a 4bt, because I would think they would be way too heavy for a little 620. You'd have to beef up the springs big time. You might even have a problem keeping diffs together if you're hard on the rig?

There's also a complete SD22 on craigslist in SF bay for $350.