diesel 620 plans

Ld20 and Ld20II are 4 cylinders. LD28 is a straight 6. SD33(T) is also a straight 6... I'm thinking about putting an SD33 in the 70 Scout 800a I'm buying from my Grandpa. SD33(t)'s came in Scout II's, but the turbo wasn't an option untill 77 if I remember right.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i also would like to put and diesel motor in my 620, but i dont know if its legal since its a 77 and in california i still have to smog it... still searching around the dmv website for info on that...

You don't have to smog a diesel conversion in California, You DO need to get it re-certified with a tech inspection by filling out a form with DMV and then bring it to a certified inspector who will sign off on it. Once that's done you don't need to smog it ever again.

Of course, if it's a 75 or older you don't have to smog it anyway in California.

I think this would be a cool project. I would try to find a modern japanese motor. I know the non USA tacomas have a small 4cyl. diesel D4D motor.

This would fit real good:

2924460_48_full.jpg

It is a 1.9L diesel, with a turbo option. There must be a equivalent for nissan trucks.Anyway it would be cool in a 620,

The yaris has a 1.4L FWD diesel and gets 65mpg. They have a concept that has the same 1.4L and a hybrid with a CVT, and it gets 130mpg, mmmmm.... that sounds good.

You don't have to smog a diesel conversion in California, You DO need to get it re-certified with a tech inspection by filling out a form with DMV and then bring it to a certified inspector who will sign off on it. Once that's done you don't need to smog it ever again.

Of course, if it's a 75 or older you don't have to smog it anyway in California.

cool. i knew it was possible! cant wait... but prob wont do it til after i buy a house or pay off some debt first.

would a 4cylinder mercedes benz motor fit in a 620? there seem to be a bunch of those floating around and people seem to be hanging on to them more with this whole biodiesel craze...

after seeing that dirty jobs episode i was into bio-diesal also. i looked all around for a 720 and found a few, but none in good shape. i just wanted to get one and run it back and forth to work to save money. of course to save said money i needed a decent intial investment to get the stuff that make the bio! i kinda gave up on it, but it is still in the back of my mind. if a find a diasal cheap i am going to scoop it up and eventually do this. i think it would be really cool to havea nice 720 lowrider that's runs bio. just to confuse the hippies/lowrider guys.

I would love to try one but always found the SD22/25 kind of... puny. Not expecting wheel spinning power just something over 3 liters maybe 4. V6 would be nice as I once heard that the maximum size for a 4 cylinder should be around 2.5 liters. Although I did drive a 300 cu in Fiat Diesel several thousand miles. It was gutless and top speed was 62 mph, no wind.

There was a rolled JDM Toyota Delica near me, they wanter $2,500 for the diesel motor.

A few years ago myself and one of the guys on the Xterra owners club forum were looking into dropping a ZD30 into an X. I looked into the cost from my end, since at the time I worked for a Nissan dealer here, and we quickly shelved the idea. Iirc the ZD30 was AUD$15,000 for the engine alone. And it was an electronic engine so add even more$$$

I would love to try one but always found the SD22/25 kind of... puny. Not expecting wheel spinning power just something over 3 liters maybe 4. V6 would be nice as I once heard that the maximum size for a 4 cylinder should be around 2.5 liters. Although I did drive a 300 cu in Fiat Diesel several thousand miles. It was gutless and top speed was 62 mph, no wind.

There was a rolled JDM Toyota Delica near me, they wanter $2,500 for the diesel motor.

Delica was a Mitsubishi. We looked into buying one a few years ago. Couldn't find any the way we wanted, loaded.