My new project...

g-mam

Talked to my aunt and she asked if I wanted my grandfathers old pickup. He purchased it new. He died a few years later, she took the truck and hauled antiques in it once in a while.

I have my work cut out for me. I had one in the 70's. As a matter of fact, that is the step bumper off my truck, that I gave him.

p6_690.jpg

p6_691.jpg

p6_692.jpg

p6_693.jpg

p6_694.jpg

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Talked to my aunt and she asked if I wanted my grandfathers old pickup. He purchased it new. He died a few years later, she took the truck and hauled antiques in it once in a while.

I have my work cut out for me. I had one in the 70's. As a matter of fact, that is the step bumper off my truck, that I gave him.

p6_691.jpg

Nice truck g-man. And wow, thats a great optical illusion. Almost thought it was a long bed. Welcome to ratsun. Good job posting Pics:D

well, if you want yourself an awesome looking truck and don't wanna spend a hole lot of money, go old skewl with it, paint it flat black or matt black use the rustoleum you can get from walmart, drop the front two inches and put some big fat tires on the back. Oh, and tint the windows, YOu can always restore the truck back to original later.

this is mine.

ymyheadlights.jpg

I really need to find some wheels. When I had mine back in the 70's, I had half-moons on it and a pair of G-60's in the back. Tires were really too wide for the rims, so I only had 15 lbs of air in them to keep a full contact patch on the road :D

What do I look for in a wheel size for this?

They though the battery was dead, but she cranked fine for me. Took a lot of cranking, but she eventually fired up. She spits and sputters a little, but I was able to drive her about 3 miles home. It was almost empty (too bad it sat there with this little fuel in it), so I topped it off with fresh fuel.

Any reason I shouldn't get some carb cleaner and spray it down?

It almost had no brakes. Scared me at times pushing the pedal almost to the floor. Not sure if it needs new shoes, or just adjusting. I remember I had to adjust my '73 all the time.

The hose on the air cleaner to take in warm air off the manifold is swinging free. I don't see anything on the manifold to hook it to.

Weather sucks here, I will get photos from under the hood and hopefully some advice when I can.

The floor is rusted out, and they had some plates screwed down. Not much I can do about that.

I also need new door mirrors. One is broke off. I'll just get a set of cheap ones from the auto store unless someone has a good reccomendation.

Gary, AKA G-MAN (yeah, I mispelled it when I signed up) :rolleyes:

well, if you want yourself an awesome looking truck and don't wanna spend a hole lot of money, go old skewl with it, paint it flat black or matt black use the rustoleum you can get from walmart, drop the front two inches and put some big fat tires on the back. Oh, and tint the windows, YOu can always restore the truck back to original later.

this is mine.

ymyheadlights.jpg

Satin Black Rustoleum, Wal-Mart, 4$ Clearance.

I need to tint my windows and I'll be ready to show mine off.

g-mam you really should fill out your profile completely with your location (Virginia) and the year of your truck. Members can then refer to it if questions are asked about it.

BTW, nice heirloom vehicle. Need motor pictures.

Damn! Is that a '73?????

Edited by datzenmike

Sick truck man! It looks kind of like mine.

IMG00336-20090516-0936.jpg

I really need to find some wheels. When I had mine back in the 70's, I had half-moons on it and a pair of G-60's in the back. Tires were really too wide for the rims, so I only had 15 lbs of air in them to keep a full contact patch on the road :D

What do I look for in a wheel size for this?

15 inch rim, and a 275/60 R16 tire, thats as big as I got. Yeah, I'm starting to get in the habit of trying to get peeps to imitate my truck. that one was orange like yours too. It had been beat up a bit and repainted. no way it woulda looked good to wax it. Had the paint stripped off back in august of 07, and it went all winter with no paint cuz it was suppose to get painted. I sold it in september last year like it was and they painted it with the rustoleum. Then I bought it back back in february. they were suppose to be moving and he was gonna sell it anyway, plus it sat mostly all winter.

I had to touch some spots up, then I picked up the rims and eventually found the cooper cobras. a set of four for 200 bucks. But I wanna save those, so i got another set that aren't as big i'm gonna throw on there later.

G-mam, it was grandpas truck, keep it original if ya want, but i'm sure gramps will understand if you want to rod it out:D

Everyone has the 40$ trailer wheels!

Those are just trailer wheels? Is that safe? That would be perfect.

I'd like to get wider front, and real wide rear. What size and bolt pattern am I looking for?

Those are just trailer wheels? Is that safe? That would be perfect.

I'd like to get wider front, and real wide rear. What size and bolt pattern am I looking for?

They just look like the wheels that come with trailers...

you can get them from Summitt

http://store.summitracing.com/egnsearch.asp?N=700+4294923107+4294923105+115+4294755953

The lug pattern is 6 x 5.5

14 x 6 or 7 is closest to stock.

so far as I can tell, those should fit. As far as the tires, what type are you wanting? If you go to the tire rack site (http://www.tirerack.com) and look at the individual (shop by size) tires, it will have a rim width recommendation that will help you figure what size to use...

you can use this as an example:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Spec.jsp?make=BFGoodrich&model=Radial+T%2FA&tirePageLocQty=