I want to switch to Electronic Igniton.

Phirus

I'm wanting to switch to electronic ignition on my 75 620 (l20b).

Where do I start?

I don't know the basics of it, all I know is it should increase performance and reduce maintenance. Plus I think it would be a good combo with a set of pulsar plugs on my birthday wish list.

I still use the same coil right? cause I'm working on getting a 60k volt mallory.

(I think that's the brand)

So Can someone tell me what I need to buy and kinda step by step walk me through it?

thanks peoples.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I was talking to Bagged_Datsun last night about this change over, check this out.

points to electronic is easy basically all the same just take out the resister for teh coil and change the dizzy they are very simple doing the swap fron
Edited by h2theizzo

So If I go to a parts store, or a scrap yard, and ask for a matchbox distributor for an l20b 4 cylinder engine, they'll know what to give me?

They damn sure won't know what an l20b or a datsun is, might not have even heard of a 4 cylinder lol.

Are distrubutors all the same sizes, Just find one for ma 4 cylinder?

and ask for a matchbox distributor for an l20b 4 cylinder engine, they'll know what to give me?
Do you really think the average store or wreckers are that good? Only Datsun people say "matchbox". Everyone else calls it a "1978-1982 Datsun electronic ignition distributor".
Do you really think the average store or wreckers are that good? Only Datsun people say "matchbox". Everyone else calls it a "1978-1982 Datsun electronic ignition distributor".

Did you even read the rest of my message :lol:

the matchbox is pretty much listed as a 79/80 L 20b and you want the mount that goes with it. I say again you want the mount that goes with it.

there is a ealier type also but its a remote ignition box. and that another hook up to do which will confuse you more.

as for a coil just get a MSD Blaster 2 coil. Its the correct ohm value for the matchbox.

You can use the stock coil and ballast set up, you would just hook

B on blk box to the + side of the ballast resisitor(blk/wht wire)

C to the - side coil.

if you want to hook it up with the MSD coil you dont need the ballast as this coil is designed to run a full 12volts. diagram here

B of matchbox and the blk.white wire will be hooked up together at coil. if this diagram confuses you.

coilwireing_thumb.jpg

PAC did a write up just recent, heres the link.

http://forum.ratsun.net/showthread.php?t=11828

sometimes you just need to read some of the threads instead of using the search control it's so much more friendlier.

edit :::: I just noticed that h2theizzo beat me to the link, O well shit happens :)

now put down the bong and geta reading..... :lol:

Edited by 420n620
shit happens
I'm wanting to switch to electronic ignition on my 75 620 (l20b).

Where do I start?

I don't know the basics of it, all I know is it should increase performance and reduce maintenance. Plus I think it would be a good combo with a set of pulsar plugs on my birthday wish list.

I still use the same coil right? cause I'm working on getting a 60k volt mallory.

(I think that's the brand)

So Can someone tell me what I need to buy and kinda step by step walk me through it?

thanks peoples.

Forget the 60 K volt coil! The voltage required to fire a spark plug depends on the width of the gap, how much load it is under (throttle) and the compression ratio. A fast idle of 2,000 RPMs will be easier to fire than full throttle climbing a hill at 2,000 RPMs. The average engine needs only 12K-15K volts to fire the plugs. A high performance motor with high compression up to 20K, a turbo motor 25K. (all at full throttle cylinder filling)

No spark plug will fire with the full output voltage available from the ignition system. The coil output does not instantly produce 60K volts. Instead the voltage climbs up from zero. It does so very fast but as soon as it reaches a threshold where it can jump across the air gap of the plug it does so, in effect causing a short to ground. The voltage cannot rise any higher. An L engine needing say 15-20K to fire the plugs will not need a 60K coil. Use the Nissan coil that came with the EI dizzy...it's more than you will ever need. Mallory counts on selling selling these things to people who think more (or shiny) is better.

Btw: Plugs are plugs. Stock NGK are the best for the money. If the after market 'platinum/iridium multi-gap split fire resistor plasma' plugs were significantly any better, Nissan would use them from the factory, don't you think?

Edited by datzenmike
Forget the 60 K volt coil! The voltage required to fire a spark plug depends on the width of the gap, how much load it is under (throttle) and the compression ratio. A fast idle of 2,000 RPMs will be easier to fire than full throttle climbing a hill at 2,000 RPMs. The average engine needs only 12K-15K volts to fire the plugs. A high performance motor with high compression up to 20K, a turbo motor 25K. (all at full throttle cylinder filling)

No spark plug will fire with the full output voltage available from the ignition system. The coil output does not instantly produce 60K volts. Instead the voltage climbs up from zero. It does so very fast but as soon as it reaches a threshold where it can jump across the air gap of the plug it does so, in effect causing a short to ground. The voltage cannot rise any higher. An L engine needing say 15-20K to fire the plugs will not need a 60K coil. Use the Nissan coil that came with the EI dizzy...it's more than you will ever need. Mallory counts on selling selling these things to people who think more (or shiny) is better.

Btw: Plugs are plugs. Stock NGK are the best for the money. If the after market 'platinum/iridium multi-gap split fire resistor plasma' plugs were significantly any better, Nissan would use them from the factory, don't you think?

I'm getting the high performance plugs and high voltage coil because I'm running Hydroxy.

I'm getting the high performance plugs and high voltage coil because I'm running Hydroxy.

Is that like Brown's Gas or HHO? The jury is still out on that. On the face of it it's snake oil like the 'Turbonator' http://www.turbonator.com/

Why has no one done a serious scientific test on this and settled this once and for all? But still it hangs on like an urban myth. One thing is for sure, the amount of gas produced produces less energy than that needed to make it.

Is that like Brown's Gas or HHO? The jury is still out on that. On the face of it it's snake oil like the 'Turbonator' http://www.turbonator.com/

Why has no one done a serious scientific test on this and settled this once and for all? But still it hangs on like an urban myth. One thing is for sure, the amount of gas produced produces less energy than that needed to make it.

Not true..

I can put out 2 liters a minute drawing 5 amps.

Won't find another one like it.

People who mass produce they're units are to lazy to do any research, they're units suck!

I have a couple people wanting to buy the units we make (including a guy from this site) but I'm not sure about putting them out till I patent the design, it's unique.

Not true..

I can put out 2 liters a minute drawing 5 amps.

Won't find another one like it.

the energy required to generate the oxyhydrogen always exceeds the energy released by combusting it (as paraphrased by DM)

more H can be genenerated from ammonium (NH4+) than H20

why not just join the H revolution and produce a motor that runs on H?