History Needed - Fontana, CA Show Truck

datsun65

I've been searching for months for a fully built, show quality L Series engine.

I recently purchased a completely built L18 from a 620 show truck from Hesperia, CA. The current owner says the truck was originally from Fontana and it was used as a show truck.

I don't have pictures of the truck, but it was a razzberry/fusica color exterior with a pink interior. I swear I remember this truck from Truckin' or Resolutions, in the 80's. The engine looks like it was never even run. Every drop of the engine is either chromed or painted in that crazy razzberry color.

20019cc6-9f22-40ad-9.jpg

Anybody remember this truck from back in the day? The current owner (who is not on the internet or email) is in Hesperia and would be interested in any upcoming gatherings.

Edited by datsun65
  • Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The person to contact is Steroid. He still remembers alot of the popular mini trucks from back in the day. His email is.......

steroid620@yahoo.com

As far as gatherings go our club SWDP has our 2nd annual BBQ coming up in August. Go to http://www.southwestdatsunpickups.com for all the info.

Hey... I'm scratching My head on that one. I dropped out of minis in spring of 1982 when I purchased My 1956 Ford panel. Colors like that were used after that time period. I was around in the "dinosaur" days before fusica!!

Who I would try to contact is Ray with the kingcab 521. That was more of His time period in the High Desert. He might know exactly who, what, why and where on that truck. I think Ray took photos in the 80s too. Certainly He would know about any minis only 30 miles away that were show quality. Hope that helps!!

I will be in Hesperia on Saturday morning and also Monday morning. Can I call the guy to look at the truck if You set it up? If so, I'll take lots of pix and see if I can identify it.

2eDeYe;160762'']It's all about the details...that motor looks like it just needs a little elbow grease to shine...

If it was going back in a truck, I'd agree.

Since it's going in a 510, a good bit of it is getting painted a more "sedate" color. :D

Some of the chrome will stay, ALL of the "raspberry" will go...

Since it's going in a 510, a good bit of it is getting painted a more "sedate" color.

Yes, the engine in going to be de-pinked.

Many thanks to Datsunfreak for not only the above photos of the engine (he even took the photos of my yellow 510 in my Ratsun avatar), but also helping to breathe new life into my lifeless 510. Thank You.

Well, I called Allen and He is a super cool guy!! He might bring the truck to Our SWDP Bar-B-Que in August.

The truck is totally torn apart It will be a full custom when finished. The only thing being used will be the cab. More on that later.

I called this morning to try to see the truck but it is located at a fabrication shop. 3 photos have been sent to Mark who will try to post them. On a GOOD note, I picked up the trucks chromed gas tank, chromed steering column, chromed rear leaf springs and fully chromed rearend!! An a sad note, He didn't know about any of Us and said "I didn't know anybody was into old Datsuns" so there were a lot of chromed parts that went into the landfill:(

His last trash pickup day even included the fully chromed two piece driveshaft with a good carrier shaft bearing:(:(:( I was at the right place today at the right time to get what was left. Very lucky indeed. The rearend and springs will be going in Wasserman's Wonder as might the steering column. The gas tank will go on another project.

He did give Me the original owner's name and said it was a best of show winner at one of the Resolutions. The frame was red as was the truck. It was a kingcab with welded in quarter windows. Now to look through My magazines to try and find it. Naturally, when I do, I will post it.

Fantastic, Steroid!

Happy you were able to save some of the parts. Can you even imagine what it would cost to CHROME a gas tank nowadays!

Can't wait to see pictures/magazine photos. I've been going through boxes looking for my old 35MM photos of Resolutions from '87/'88. Haven't found anything yet.

I went through Mini Truckin' 1992, 1993, 1994 and 1995 Resolutions coverage today. I couldn't find it. Maybe it was in Truckin' magazine. Here are the 3 photos from the new owner's cell phone camera. You can get an idea what the truck used to look like. This is what it is turning into now, though:

Hesperia6201.jpg

Hesperia6202.jpg

Hesperia6203.jpg

Remember that the truck was/is chopped with suicide doors. Looks like it will really be something when finished!! He has shortened a different bed and the frame. Cool build!!!!

I went through Mini Truckin' 1992, 1993, 1994 and 1995 Resolutions coverage today. I couldn't find it. Maybe it was in Truckin' magazine. Here are the 3 photos from the new owner's cell phone camera. You can get an idea what the truck used to look like. This is what it is turning into now, though:

Hesperia6201.jpg

Hesperia6202.jpg

Hesperia6203.jpg

Remember that the truck was/is chopped with suicide doors. Looks like it will really be something when finished!! He has shortened a different bed and the frame. Cool build!!!!

That looks like it's going to be a monster.:D