Rubbermans 620 KC

no kidding!!!! :eek: dude if you EVER find another truck or another dash around these parts let me know warp-speed!!! looking awesome by the way man, great work, keep it up:)

Looky what I picked up today. A mint dash, alittle dirty but no cracks. I'll get her cleaned up and installed later, then put some pics up. The dash came with a whole truck that had been rearended, plus it has factory A/C. The truck is too far gone to repair, but I'm gonna strip her down and then she'll go to the crusher. Not a bad score for $150.00

Picture078.jpg

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There's something good going on here!!! Long time no talk! Looks like your finally giving it the attention it needs!!! Looks great, hope all is well!

Thanks Ez, looks alittle different then the last time you seen it. I went down and seen our bddy in Sevierville. I'll give ya a call to see whats up.

Edited by Rubberman
Lukey, the motor is the one I got on ebay off of Al out in Cali. (Datsun Parts on here). I see people calling it LZ22. Used the Z22 block with the KA pistons. It doesn't have the fan clutch. Pulley is not attacthed with a clutch to the fan blade. I'm not even sure what year that would be, 80, 81?

go with '81 to be safe i think...in my quest for engine parts for my '80 510 wagon thats donating its z20 to my 72 wagon, I found that in 1980 the engine in the 720 pickups was the z20, and in 81 the only engine besides the diesel was the z22 motor...so, if my parts suppliers are right(the 7 or 8 places i checked), a 81 pickup should only offer the diesel or the Z22...

and as far as the fans go, if you go electric, just take the money you would spend on a pusher and puller set up, and spend it on one really nice dual speed electric fan with a high CFM rating. like i said, the engineering of the pusher puller set up is not worth monkeying with, cause if you get two identical fans, the pusher has to push the air through the radiator, so the puller will be trying to pull more than the the pusher can supply, meaning you are creating restriction and turbulence...

and with that said, LOVE the truck...im not normally a pickup guy, but its looking nice and clean. not really digging the blue, but its so nice and clean its hard to find any complaints with it! keep up the nice work! :D

go with '81 to be safe i think...in my quest for engine parts for my '80 510 wagon thats donating its z20 to my 72 wagon, I found that in 1980 the engine in the 720 pickups was the z20, and in 81 the only engine besides the diesel was the z22 motor...so, if my parts suppliers are right(the 7 or 8 places i checked), a 81 pickup should only offer the diesel or the Z22...

and as far as the fans go, if you go electric, just take the money you would spend on a pusher and puller set up, and spend it on one really nice dual speed electric fan with a high CFM rating. like i said, the engineering of the pusher puller set up is not worth monkeying with, cause if you get two identical fans, the pusher has to push the air through the radiator, so the puller will be trying to pull more than the the pusher can supply, meaning you are creating restriction and turbulence...

and with that said, LOVE the truck...im not normally a pickup guy, but its looking nice and clean. not really digging the blue, but its so nice and clean its hard to find any complaints with it! keep up the nice work! :D

spades, keep an eye on the 1980 720 trucks. The earlier model 720 trucks actually had the L20b motor as mine does. MFG date is 7-79 on it i believe. I think 10/80 is close to when they changed the engine. not sure if 720 came with the Z20 or not?

you are right, in the trucks its a l20b, not a z20...they kept the l20b untill the z22 was introduced in 81 it would seem, i just knew that for '80 a 2.2 wasnt available, only a 2.0l...and since i was buying parts for my 80 wagon and not a pickup, i didnt bother to ask if it was a z20 or a l20 :D

Spades, yeah I found a fan finally off a 80 720. I put it on and let it idle until the temp got up and stayed at a good temp. So I'm debating about using the elect. fan on the outside of the radiator.

a pusher fan on a switch or thermostat switch is not a bad idea if the truck will be a daily driver. the reason i say that is if you are sitting in rush hour traffic and you arent moving, and the rpm's of the motor are low, it may not overheat, but it will run warmer...and heat is not a good thing :)

i will eventually be adding a electric pusher on my wagon since it will be my daily driver and i will just flip it on during 100+ degree days when stuck in traffic.

I now have a standard to go by :) Thank you!

I have a few questions since I'm trying to get my back together after I rewire it.

1) is the foil under the carpet just sound deadening material, and what did you use?

2) I am still a bit confused how you did the headliner. Is that a leather fabric that is simply glued to the ceiling? my other guess is that only a few points were glued up then stretched? I'm sure a small explication would shed some light on my ignorance.

3) The black piece behind the seat, is that just the cardboard like material covered in canvas and screwed to the back wall?

4) did you custom make those kick panels? cause they look sweet, if so do you have the patterns?

5) I'm going to try and do the carpet in my 620 with out a kit (I know I'm cheap). Can you snap a detailed shot where the carpet meets the seat mount piece looking towards the back of the cab? It looks like two separate pieces to me with a flat piece for the back and a front piece with a slit in it for the seat mount to come up threw.

Very nice. I like the color!

I now have a standard to go by :) Thank you!

I have a few questions since I'm trying to get my back together after I rewire it.

1) is the foil under the carpet just sound deadening material, and what did you use?

2) I am still a bit confused how you did the headliner. Is that a leather fabric that is simply glued to the ceiling? my other guess is that only a few points were glued up then stretched? I'm sure a small explication would shed some light on my ignorance.

3) The black piece behind the seat, is that just the cardboard like material covered in canvas and screwed to the back wall?

4) did you custom make those kick panels? cause they look sweet, if so do you have the patterns?

5) I'm going to try and do the carpet in my 620 with out a kit (I know I'm cheap). Can you snap a detailed shot where the carpet meets the seat mount piece looking towards the back of the cab? It looks like two separate pieces to me with a flat piece for the back and a front piece with a slit in it for the seat mount to come up threw.

Very nice. I like the color!

I'll try and answer everything the best I can dead,

1) yeah it's sound deadener I got off ebay, Fatmat, price was reasonable.

2)It's an original new headliner I found on ebay along time ago. I haven't seen one on there since. Surely someone still sales replacements new. It's strecthed with the three rods on the roof. You have to use contact cement on the edges to keep it in place.

3)The back peice is the original back board that I recovered with black leather.

4)I made a pattern from the original kick panels and they are just covered with a thick epoxy paint. Came out slick and durable. I do have the pattern to make more.

5)I'll get a pic on here in a bit for ya, but it's one peice, it's formed in the carpet. It's for a 720, but worked pretty well.

Hope this helps. If ya need any help on anything, just ask. I'm far from a pro at this, but I try.

I like the seats... though I can't afford something like that.

I bought some seats sitting for sale outside the salvage yard omw back from work one day. I don't know what they are out of, but they are too deep and I'm scrunched into the stearing wheel. I'm a small guy, but those seats are a bit too big. Pitty too, $20 a piece and drivers side has a built in motor to adjust the seat! I just don't have the extra room like you do with the extra cab.

TY for the pics. Not sure I'll be able to mold the carpet like that if I do myself. I have a heat gun though and the carpet I'm gonna use is rubber backed so should be able to cement it down. just trying to save some money is all.

Edited by deadmonkey
I'm thinking about getting these seats off ebay.

seats.jpg

how much are these you can get the same basic seat at kreagan for 120 a seat

i know what you mean i cant wait to see my car in paint eather im leaing more twards a dark blue for color