Electric fan in 620, pictures plz!

Greetings! Took the nice sunny day to search me a radiator for my 620...found a whole lot of volvos, their recent 90s nd up radiators were recommended to me...did find myself a nice one. Got an electric fan with shroud only to know its about an inch too thick! pulley in the way...

what setups do you guys have in ur 620s if any? pics?

Do I really need an electric or mechanical wihtout shroud is fine?

If I can fit the electric fan in the front is that recommended?

Cheers!

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

go to the parts store and but a slim line or get one off ebay reversable blade (can but put in front or back) nice and thin and moves alot of air

Nice nice, my radi is about 18.5" long x 17.5" tall should I get the larget I can fit...and maybe 2" thick? Now the reason I want pictures is because I don't know how exactly u install one...do you need a shroud (the square one that cover the whole square of radiator) and where u screw the fan to or can u use those tie rod dealies that go through the radiator and just hold the round fan close to the radiator? The one I bought needs the shroud so that makes it like 4" thick...man...it was nice looking too

Edited by Germz12
keep your stock radiator and get a temp probe switch. works like a charm :D

I bet it does! But didn't have a radiator and compared to stock the volvo radiators are crossflow, which cool somewhat to more better...plus I believe it has a thermal sensor built in...wonder if I can make it work...

I tried replacing the stock mechanical fan with an electric fan on my Toyota. The only place the fan fitted was in front of the rad - as a 'pusher'. It didn't work - I wasted a lot of money and time on it. The fan blocked airflow to the rad, so the car ran hot - so the fan stayed on, which drained the battery. It was a 30 amp Bosch S-bladed fan. I even upgraded the alternator to try to run it... no work

zed - you sure the electric fan was the problem? Unless you had a tiny radiator and a monstrous fan, I can't imagine that the fan would block significant airflow while you drove the car.

As far as the fan "staying on" and draining the battery, this wouldn't be an issue while the car was running, since I don't believe the fan draws a continuous 30 amps while on. If you're saying that the fan stayed on while the engine was turned off - yes, the fan would run off the battery, but you wouldn't have any air flow issues, since the fan would be sucking ambient air from the front of the car towards the radiator, and the radiator shouldn't take that long to cool down.

I can't tell exactly what your setup was like, but it sounds like you might have had something wired improperly (perhaps your thermostatic switch was faulty, causing the fan to stay on?), or something else.

I swear by electric fans, and can't really imagine a situation in which a similarly sized electric fan would be less preferable to a pully-driven fan, whether in front or behind the radiator.

Could you possibly trim the shroud where its hitting the pulley? Ive heard either a pusher or puller is fine. Should be able to hook it up to the temp. sensor on the rad.so it turns on at certain temps or....a switch you flip when you turn the truck on.

Could you possibly trim the shroud where its hitting the pulley? Ive heard either a pusher or puller is fine. Should be able to hook it up to the temp. sensor on the rad.so it turns on at certain temps or....a switch you flip when you turn the truck on.

I dont believe I can, the fan's motor is popping out by too much, and the shroud is not trimmable, only has half an inch in depth.

I'm just gonna get a 2 to 2.5 maybe 3" slim fan, and wire up the thermal sensor on the radiator...if that doesnt work I'll buy one from the parts store...nice ideas. I will difenitley start a build thread and document everything I do with lots of pictures. I'll show hoe great of a replacement these volvo radiators are, and they are plentyfull at the yard, the inlet and outlets are the same as our stock ones and are very light.